General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Poyet & Wilkins

I would like that.

Anyway, didnt Martinez sign a three year contract with Wigan (after snubbing us) last summer?

I think he just agreed to see out the last year of his contact with Wigan if my memory serves. Could be wrong though.

No prob, Randy would no doubt be happy to buy him out.

There's actually a fair few on that list I'd be happy with, and a couple that would have me absolutely distraught.

I just think it's not just about getting in a good manager, It's also about the right man for the club. There has been some good managers that have been total flops at different clubs, because the club they went to was completely the wrong fit.

You"re right about that.Just look at R.Hodgeson at Fulham and Liverpool ?

How about Capello?

Shame he only wants to manage a team that is already successful.

Well he did agree to manage England and they are anything but successful...

Out of the 6 teams competing for the champs league, at the age of 65, who would have him? Not many.

Come to Villa!

I dont think Lambert would be a good choice just yet.I have noticed that a lot of teams that get promoted to the PL go down in their second year, or struggle,so I would want to see how Lambert got on next year first.But Martinez has PL experience and he has kept Wigan up on a shoestring budjet so realistically he should be able to do a lot more at Villa.

How about Capello?

Out of the 6 teams competing for the champs league, at the age of 65, who would have him? Not many.

Come to Villa!

I would assume Liverpool would be his best bet or Chelsea may well be looking too.

Trouble is I think if we hired Capello we would have no money left to pay anyone else.

How about Capello?

Come to Villa!

But he only wants to manage a side who want to win things.....

That lets us out

Martinez / Lambert or Poyet for me.

Whoever it is we need to give them time as in my opinion, we will still struggle for at least another season with the current squad and budget. We are very average for sure.

On Martinez - he loses his best players every summer, and has to find cheap replacements. It takes time for the to gel, hence why the always peak so late. Also, whether they like it or not, a lot of their players join for bigger moves. So in my opinion give that extra 20% during the run in as they are looking for moves. (NZogbia / Moses)

You can draw on bad streaks for any club. Wigan peak at the end, O Neill and Redknapp cant win a game in Feb to April, Utd come good from Jan, Everton are shite up to Xmas etc.

On Martinez - he loses his best players every summer, and has to find cheap replacements.
He'd be right at home with us, then.

Fabio Capello is looking for English premier league job! Any manager we get will be better than Mcleish, 16 draws in the premier league, no other team come anywhere near close to that number, next in line are Sunderland with 12. Im sure any other manager would not have had such a high draw statistic. had we won at least 5 of those games we would be on 47 points and palced 10th in league. 11 draws in a season looking like an average draw turnaround absed on this season!

Our team isnt't that bad but we just need a manager who believes in his players and gets the best out of them

Paulo di Canio for me.. I think his passion is exactly what this whole club, which is badly suffering from "being run by accountants syndrome," is lacking!

We need a passionate visionary to compensate for the dull efficiency at board level. (in fact i would say our current "dull as dishwater play it safe style" is now perfectly reflective of this.. The accountants hired a man who is cut from the same cloth as they are...Big mistake!)

Paulo di Canio is that man for me.

I like the idea of a younger manager, who'll be given time to build his own side rather than a quick fix older 'name' who'll come and go and leave nothing substantial in place again.

Top 4 choices would be :

Martinez

Rodgers

Lambert

Di Matteo

I want someone to put a style of play plan into place, like Martinez did at Swansea

Mind you the kids/reserves have been playing nice football for years without it transfering to the first team. At least that groundwork is already in place

NO MORE QUICK FIXES

I think people have issues with di Canio's ... preference for right wingers.

ahah. especially those who like to stay out very far wide on the right, over the touchline...

I would like to see "a man with a plan". Someone who can take the assets and strengths of the club and put them to use in developing a playing style that can compete at the highest levels of the PL, and Europe, and has a scouting network able to take advantage of those assets.

Those assets being a world class training facility, a richly stocked academy and youth system already being trained technically, an already large and potentially expandable stadium in an area where there is sufficient population for growth.

This person would need to be given time to implement that plan, though show progress along the way. Progress measured by the creation of a consistently competitive senior team playing a specific style, balanced with senior players and youth picked as fits for that style, with a controlled wage bill that accurately reflects the players ability, importance, and stage of career. It would also be measured by the level of talent that is being attracted into the academy system both from England as well as overseas, and the academy's ability to produce home grown players capable of slotting into the first team both in skill level, but also in playing style.

As that progress is made I expect to see us move up the table as existing players that are too old or don't fit the system move on through natural attrition (sold or contracts wound down), and areas of opportunity identified where investment could be made. For example, if there is an attainable upgrade over what we have in the senior squad that is affordable for us, we would see Lerner make the transfer investment and upgrade the team.

I know on some level this sounds like Barca model, and in some ways it is. But I guess I would like Villa to have its own style, and have that style run through all levels of the club, really be an identity and an ethos for the club, and a style that has the chance to create champions.

I don't know who fits this bill, but I would like to be able to know that this is the type of plan they have in mind, and that both the board and the manager are aligned on the vision. This is what frustrated me the most at the time of the McLeish appointment. It wasn't his CV, it wasn't where he came from, it just didn't seem to match any of the existing Villa strengths and he seemed to have no plan.

Anyway, happy to hear suggestions. Whilst not really attainable, i think AVB is the type of management philosophy, if not playing style, we would be looking at. Fire away.