General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

You can’t play off adrenalin for three seasons can you?

No, norwichs has run dry inside 6 months

Luckily, unlike Blackpool last year they plundered enough points to scrape by

Capello could be a disaster for our club

Although, Capello has undoubtedly been a very successful club manager, I do agree with you.

I just feel he would be the wrong man, at the wrong time.

He doesn't have a track record on a shoestring budget, he is 65 now and I'd much prefer a younger man who could be with us for a long time and build something. And I've never been convinced of his mastering the English language, his communication hasn't been great in England.

He was also the highest paid manager in the world.

In fairness he would take no shit from the players, and sort out the discipline and the defence.

But also, I just don't like him.

WOOOOOOOOSH!!!!

WOOOOOOOOSH!!!!

:lol::lol:

His back to back promotions mean nothing... didn't you know that?

The fact that they are comfortable in the Premier League with a League1/Championship team means nothing... didn't you know that?

The fact that the past couple of months they haven't been playing their best, whilst having nothing to play for and experimenting with the squad counts as everything. He's shite. Obviously.

EDIT: Oh and Capello would be an absolute disaster. It would be so bad it's hilarious that it gets suggested.

I would like to see "a man with a plan". Someone who can take the assets and strengths of the club and put them to use in developing a playing style that can compete at the highest levels of the PL, and Europe, and has a scouting network able to take advantage of those assets.

Those assets being a world class training facility, a richly stocked academy and youth system already being trained technically, an already large and potentially expandable stadium in an area where there is sufficient population for growth.

This person would need to be given time to implement that plan, though show progress along the way. Progress measured by the creation of a consistently competitive senior team playing a specific style, balanced with senior players and youth picked as fits for that style, with a controlled wage bill that accurately reflects the players ability, importance, and stage of career. It would also be measured by the level of talent that is being attracted into the academy system both from England as well as overseas, and the academy's ability to produce home grown players capable of slotting into the first team both in skill level, but also in playing style.

As that progress is made I expect to see us move up the table as existing players that are too old or don't fit the system move on through natural attrition (sold or contracts wound down), and areas of opportunity identified where investment could be made. For example, if there is an attainable upgrade over what we have in the senior squad that is affordable for us, we would see Lerner make the transfer investment and upgrade the team.

I know on some level this sounds like Barca model, and in some ways it is. But I guess I would like Villa to have its own style, and have that style run through all levels of the club, really be an identity and an ethos for the club, and a style that has the chance to create champions.

I don't know who fits this bill, but I would like to be able to know that this is the type of plan they have in mind, and that both the board and the manager are aligned on the vision. This is what frustrated me the most at the time of the McLeish appointment. It wasn't his CV, it wasn't where he came from, it just didn't seem to match any of the existing Villa strengths and he seemed to have no plan.

Anyway, happy to hear suggestions. Whilst not really attainable, i think AVB is the type of management philosophy, if not playing style, we would be looking at. Fire away.

As I mentioned elsewhere Frank DeBoer fits the bill perfectly.

A few years ago it may have been unrealistic to expect us to prise a manager away from Ajax but given the economic gulf between the respective leagues I think we could do it.

I'm sure I read a few years back that one of the De Boer twins was a Villa fan. Or that Villa was the English club whose results one of them used to look out for when they were younger.

I'm getting sick of these managers like Capello and Benitez wanting to only manage Champions League clubs?! Do they have no faith in their own ability? Alan Pardew has practically got Newcastle into the Champions League, yes Alan **** Pardew!! Whilst both would be welcomed (especially Rafa) if they don't think they can do something with us and only fancy their chances at the big money clubs they can feck off and wait on the scrap heap for a job that might not ever come (yes I'm looking at you Rafa).

I'm getting sick of these managers like Capello and Benitez wanting to only manage Champions League clubs?! Do they have no faith in their own ability? Alan Pardew has practically got Newcastle into the Champions League, yes Alan **** Pardew!! Whilst both would be welcomed (especially Rafa) if they don't think they can do something with us and only fancy their chances at the big money clubs they can feck off and wait on the scrap heap for a job that might not ever come (yes I'm looking at you Rafa).

They will see it as they have paid their dues and done that they want to win trophies. It's precisely why I want a young up and coming manager, rather than one who maybe sees us as a step down.

if it was a manager who hadn't won titles in 2 different countries and the champions league already. then maybe i could understand saying that you're sick of it.

even benitez won the title in spain twice and a uefa cup before winning the champs league with houllier's liverpool team.

capello has been there, seen it and done it both as a player and as a coach. why would he want to spend the last years of his career trying to turn the villa around?

i dont' agree either that he woudl be a disaster if he did decide to do it. i don't think he or anyone else is going to have an instant effect though. i think we're dreaming if we think any manager is going to come in and have one pre-season and suddenly we come out playing like barcelona...

LAMBERTS Norwich are the most tactically inept side (other than us) down B6 this season

Very gung ho and appalling defence

If we'd been half decent it would have been 8-2

I was at the Spurs V Norwich game a few weeks back and it was one of the most tactically astute performances id seen in ages. Lambert nailed it.

Infact a week later there was a Blog by the Swiss Ramble on how Harry didnt know what to do.

I accept this is one game, but I get the feeling that your basing this idea off the fact he is Scottish, and of the MON / Moyes ilk .... which even so, would be good for Villa.

When was the last time we had a tactician?

MON - Motivater

DOL - hmmm?

GT - Hoof Ball

Maybe Little? But he was a 5-3-2 man....

Big Ron I reckon. He nailed the 1994 league cup final!

Capello or Benitez or Scholari would have us top10 just by their presence

Then they'd kick on by improving the squad and the technical side etc

I wouldn't turn any of them down, but all you seem to care about is "presence". That's why you don't want Lambert - because he isn't a big name and doesn't come from a big club.

When you are dealing with footballers, "presence" and confidence building, having an aura in the building is massive

It's not a complicated sport

The problem with a Martinez or lambert is they would be destined to fail down B6

Agree with this, but none of them would give a shit about Bannan / Herd / Albighton .... they'd want to sign their own players...

And thats why we would finish top 10 ...

unfortunately for us, we need to rely on these players as we have no cash.

Martinez it is

Agree with this, but none of them would give a shit about Bannan / Herd / Albighton .... they'd want to sign their own players...

is

Reality is, this is probably the way forward

These players are not going to make it

Imagine the players a Capello or Scholari could attract on Bosmans

is

Reality is, this is probably the way forward

These players are not going to make it

Imagine the players a Capello or Scholari could attract on Bosmans

When you are dealing with footballers, "presence" and confidence building, having an aura in the building is massive

It's not a complicated sport

The problem with a Martinez or lambert is they would be destined to fail down B6

Why would they be "destined to fail"? :?

First choices:

Ole Gunnar Solks, Ray Wilkins

Second choices:

Lambert, Adkins

Third choices:

Rodgers, Poyet

Think Adkins and Rodgers like Lambert last season will want a crack in the prem with their respect teams. Don't think a "BIG" foreign name will really benefit the club with the way we are at present as there would be a lot of unneccessary media attention on us.

OGS would be ideal, was always a tactical player, won with utd reserves (ok maybe not the hardest task) has won with molde and seemingly set for the utd job in the future but would need experience first....