General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

shows what fans know eh... we'd have been 10 times better off with mclaren

I was never as opposed to Maclaren as you lot were. Funnily enough I think the reason alot were opposed at the time was because they thought our club would be going for some decent manager, Steve being the worst on the shortlist. If only thry knew what was in store. I want to see us go for a manager with a reputation an ability to attract good players. I think we have ""small clubbed"" ourselves too much and its becoming entrenched in the culture throughout the club. We need to kick ourselves up the arse and remember who we are.

he distracted away from the fact that there has effectively been a signing freeze since db9 came in

mmmmmmmmmmmmm...£20,000,000 spent byMcEck last summer excluding loan fee for Jenas, hardly a freeze

but thats the point i think - villa spent 20m, and yet, we (or maybe its just me) get the sense that we weren't spending money, as we'd seen 4 big signings leave for good money, and ten leave for no money, and not seen another marquee player, save for perhaps zoggy come back in...

Randy will go for a big gun this time, that's my opinion

I agree with CI, I think he will go for a lambert,rodgers,martinez,moyes.. someone like that, But I dont think he will completely ignore the fans like last season, I mean we managed to get him not to hire Mclaren and then he goes and hires Mcleish, i mean cmon... Im sure he will go for a more popular choice this time. I hope.

Not sure i'd call Martinez, Lambert or Rogers "Big Guns", more like peashooters...

Hoddle good with kids but that's not what we are after, we have that

What we need is a top top coach, leader and figurehead at the club supported by an experienced DoF. That's if we want to compete again.

If the agenda is purely survival year on year, yes then a Martinez or a Bruce is all you need.

Sorry, but Hoddle is toxic. As a manager he might be okay, but he is forever tainted by THAT comment. Regardless of whether you or I think it's a big deal, it would be a big deal. It would also not sit very well with Aston Villa's links to Acorns.

For me Hoddle is a square peg in a round hole

He's a London lad and has his academy in Spain

Working in the midlands, don't think he'd ever settle or be a hit with the fans

He also talks about himself in the 3rd person which is a worrying trait (see DOL)

With regards to Hoddle you have to wonder why he hasn't managed a club for the best part of 6 years. So I looked up his record on Wiki whilst he was at his last job, and noted that he failed at Wolves mainly due to lack of goals and drawing half of his league games in the two seasons he was there. Sounds familiar?

Delio Rossi

I'd like to see the bad eggs in the villa camp try to backchat him

just the man we need

ha! shame fiorentina are shite though. the radio here this morning have been saying that ljajic was asking for it!

from italy i'd love to see crazy mad zeman from pescara at villa park. football genius who has a great history with bringing through kids. i don't think ranieri would be a bad shout. he built a very good chelsea side before abramovic came along and deserved to take it on further.

from spain, bielsa!!!! anyone who follows tim vickery's blog knows why ;)

if we have to limit ourselves to premier league tunnel vision then martinez before lambert for me...

For me, its Martinez all day long. Wanted him when we originally approached in June last year, havent changed my mind since.

Also, is it right that his contract runs out in June? Im sure I read that somewhere, (may even have been in this thread), which I think would appeal to Randy.

Equally, i'd like Lambert too. A proper winner with the record to show it. Unlike our current incumbent who wouldnt get respect from the football team I play for on a rainy Sunday night in Shropshire.

Ian Holloway, we need someone to play attacking football and bring a smile and some fun back to Villa Park. For me it has become very dour and depressing. We need charisma back.

The same bloke that labelled us a "half arsed club"? Yeah id love him in the dugout. He's a cretin and shouldnt be allowed within a 100 mile radius of VP. But youre right about the charisma thing, it definitely wouldnt be boring.