General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Villa would be a perfect project for Capello

& Randy would support with money I believe

Capello made it quite clear in that article that he has no intention of starting a project.

He wants to take a Champions League team and enhance them.

Cant understand this love in with Lambert and Rodgers could be one season wonders, the Premier League is littered with them Paul Jewel and look at Mcleish at the end of the 2009/10 season taken the shit to 9th.When they have done it for 3 or 4 years then maybe.

Villa would be a perfect project for Capello

& Randy would support with money I believe

no it wouldn't. he's won titles in italy and spain and is 65 years old, looking to top off his career and place in history by winning a title in england or another champs league.

if he was 40 and looking to build a career then maybe a young villa side ready to be moulded in his image could have been a stepping stone for him on the way up. at 65 and wanting to win titles i doubt villa even gets near his list of places to go and work.

i'd love to be wrong, but if ancelotti wouldn't touch us with a barge pole a year ago, why do you think capello would come to villa park?

I would like to see "a man with a plan". Someone who can take the assets and strengths of the club and put them to use in developing a playing style that can compete at the highest levels of the PL, and Europe, and has a scouting network able to take advantage of those assets.

Those assets being a world class training facility, a richly stocked academy and youth system already being trained technically, an already large and potentially expandable stadium in an area where there is sufficient population for growth.

This person would need to be given time to implement that plan, though show progress along the way. Progress measured by the creation of a consistently competitive senior team playing a specific style, balanced with senior players and youth picked as fits for that style, with a controlled wage bill that accurately reflects the players ability, importance, and stage of career. It would also be measured by the level of talent that is being attracted into the academy system both from England as well as overseas, and the academy's ability to produce home grown players capable of slotting into the first team both in skill level, but also in playing style.

As that progress is made I expect to see us move up the table as existing players that are too old or don't fit the system move on through natural attrition (sold or contracts wound down), and areas of opportunity identified where investment could be made. For example, if there is an attainable upgrade over what we have in the senior squad that is affordable for us, we would see Lerner make the transfer investment and upgrade the team.

I know on some level this sounds like Barca model, and in some ways it is. But I guess I would like Villa to have its own style, and have that style run through all levels of the club, really be an identity and an ethos for the club, and a style that has the chance to create champions.

I don't know who fits this bill, but I would like to be able to know that this is the type of plan they have in mind, and that both the board and the manager are aligned on the vision. This is what frustrated me the most at the time of the McLeish appointment. It wasn't his CV, it wasn't where he came from, it just didn't seem to match any of the existing Villa strengths and he seemed to have no plan.

Anyway, happy to hear suggestions. Whilst not really attainable, i think AVB is the type of management philosophy, if not playing style, we would be looking at. Fire away.

As I mentioned elsewhere Frank DeBoer fits the bill perfectly.

A few years ago it may have been unrealistic to expect us to prise a manager away from Ajax but given the economic gulf between the respective leagues I think we could do it.

Cant understand this love in with Lambert and Rodgers could be one season wonders, the Premier League is littered with them Paul Jewel and look at Mcleish at the end of the 2009/10 season taken the shit to 9th.When they have done it for 3 or 4 years then maybe.

Lambert has had 2 successive promotions and Premier League survival, an amazing achievement for such a young manager.

At first I was :D

Fabio Capello wants "one more challenge" before retiring and is keen to take charge of a Premier League side.

And then I was :(

"I want to manage a team that wants to win something, if possible."

Lambert has had 2 successive promotions and Premier League survival, an amazing achievement for such a young manager.

and taking Wycombe to the semi finals of the League Cup

and taking Wycombe to the semi finals of the League Cup

Out of interest, what style of football did Lambert employ during his rise up through the leagues with Norwich? Did the team always play the more counter attacking style or did he develop this style more for the premier league, knowing that it was the best way to keep Norwich in the premiership?

LAMBERTS Norwich are the most tactically inept side (other than us) down B6 this season

Very gung ho and appalling defence

If we'd been half decent it would have been 8-2

LAMBERTS Norwich are the most tactically inept side (other than us) down B6 this season

So you are basing your opinion of Lambert on 1 game!? Unreal

No, over lots of games really, especially the last 2 months

Ps. When I last looked Norwich only had 43 points, has something changed or have they just been marginally better than arguably the worst PL Villa team of all time

I've seen nothing to suggest lambert has what it takes to kick on in the PL

No, over lots of games really, especially the last 2 months

Ps. When I last looked Norwich only had 43 points, has something changed or have they just been marginally better than arguably the worst PL Villa team of all time

I've seen nothing to suggest lambert has what it takes to kick on in the PL

I'm not sure if you are being serious or not, but I'll humour you this once. They are comfortably above us despite only being promoted last season and spending less than N'Zogbia cost us last summer! I would wager any money that Norwich's wage bill is about 1/3 of ours. They have over-achieved massively, why can't you see that!?

In the nicest possible way, your argument is flawed entirely, The fact that we have paid big money and wages for crap journeymen players is a factor. Also, Norwich have been playing off adrenalin, very much like excited puppies for the first 6 months

Performances are nosediving now, hence lambert will be scrambling for the exits as season2 is the acid test

Everyone knows this in football

In the nicest possible way, your argument is flawed entirely, The fact that we have paid big money and wages for crap journeymen players is a factor. Also, Norwich have been playing off adrenalin, very much like excited puppies for the first 6 months

Performances are nosediving now, hence lambert will be scrambling for the exits as season2 is the acid test

Everyone knows this in football

OK, I give up! I really hope we get him and he shows how wrong you are

we don't want anymore gung business...ho ho ho.