General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

First choices:

Ole Gunnar Solks, Ray Wilkins

Second choices:

Lambert, Adkins

Third choices:

Rodgers, Poyet

Think Adkins and Rodgers like Lambert last season will want a crack in the prem with their respect teams. Don't think a "BIG" foreign name will really benefit the club with the way we are at present as there would be a lot of unneccessary media attention on us.

Do you think Fergie will write a good reference for him.

OGS would be ideal, was always a tactical player, won with utd reserves (ok maybe not the hardest task) has won with molde and seemingly set for the utd job in the future but would need experience first....

I was all for a young manager with potential (one of two to vote for Poyet in last summer's poll) but I am now thinking we need a disciplinarian to sort our squad out.

We don't need a disciplinarian, we just need to ship out the rotten apples even if it means taking a big financial loss on them.

Martinez is the man.

Talk of Capello is ridiculous. He clearly mentioned in his recent interview that he is after a Champions League level club and we're a million miles away from that right now.

Disagree with the right manager and 2 or 3 good additions we are as good as Newcastle, arguably better

Talk of Capello is ridiculous. He clearly mentioned in his recent interview that he is after a Champions League level club and we're a million miles away from that right now.

Disagree with the right manager and 2 or 3 good additions we are as good as Newcastle, arguably better

I'll have a pint of what your on please.

This is just utter, utter, utter, utter shit.

To be fair, I don't think it's ridiculous what he says, they've had a great season but if we were to bring in 2 very good central midfielders from wherever and a decent left back then our team is strong.

Newcastle defensively in terms of individuals are weak, Williamson, Simpson, Perch/Santon I believe it's been. Collocini main stay in their team who is fantastic but the others are not great, great seasons, yes. Great defenders? No. We've seen that Cuellar Dunne Collins Warnock under the right management can equal one of the best defences in the league.... using players we have or sign etc...I don't think say Herd Cuellar Dunne and then a new left back is really any worse than what Newcastle have.

Cabaye and Tiote is where Newcastle are way ahead of us, Petrov can compete to a lower level but not far behind but the rest of the players we have aren't that quality, obviously with Petrov's condition, a couple central midfielder definitely needed so we can start controlling games and also giving the defence a lot more protection. Going forward, under McLeish we are poor but with the right guidance, we can be great. Again Agbonlahor has the potential to be a very good player in this league, so does N'Zogbia, Ireland also and we all know how lethal Bent can be with the right service. Cisse is phenomenal but he's not going to score like this next season, I don't think he's a flash in the pan but I don't see him scoring 25+ premier league goals over a full season. Bent may not be as all rounded in his finishing as Cisse is like he'll never score some of the goals Cisse has been but we know Bent is a predator and can score 20 league goals if the service is right and you could even argue over time, Bent getting chances inside the 6 yard box regularly is more likely to find the net than Cisse trying his luck from distance more regularly.

Including myself here, I think we all tend to overlook the ability and potential of players when we've gone through a bad season. The right manager getting the best out of each individual which is pretty much what Pardew has achieved, he's getting the maximum out of his players, not just a couple. Really, as CI says with 2/3 very strong midfielders players (hypothetically on a par with Cabaye and Tiote) and a good left back alongside players like Given, Cuellar, Dunne, Ireland, N'Zogbia, Agbonlahor, Bent playing at their very best. Ireland creating, scoring goals, setting up attacks. N'Zogbia from Wigan, going past players, beating men scoring and creating goals. Gabby from O'Neill's reign or even the first months of this season, regularly beating players for pace, scoring 10-15 goals in a season and a prolific Bent with 20 league goals in the season, these players who do have it in their locker, can't compete with the Newcastle side we see today? because although over a consistent period of time they've been far better than us, we played them earlier in the season twice and they weren't THAT good, to me they seemed quite vulnerable defensively and won the game through a simply brilliant finish.

We (again myself) are all very quick to condemn the players not being good enough like N'Zogbia, Gabby or Bent but really if we are able to get the right leader and management team in place, this Aston Villa team has plenty of potential if we are at least willing to invest £15 million or so into the squad on 3 or 4 players, as well as Brett Holman, Jean Makoun coming back.Let a few go, Heskey, one of Collins/Cuellar/Dunne and then probably one of the full backs.

To do what Newcastle did or compete with the Newcastle we see right now (because I certainly don't believe they will be top 5 or so next year) then we are going to need a manager who gets the best out of players individually, as a team and a scouting team who are able to identify the best fits for the team and a board willing to invest in the squad, doesn't need huge sums but 3 players worth £5 million or so and we could improve no end on what we've seen this year.

Problem lies within the fact we currently have a terrible manager, no scouting team and a board that gave the terrible manager a chance to manage and continue to manage. The start of change is with the right manager choice.

Who that should be? It's hard to say, who'd have said Pardew would have done as well as he did, who thought AVB would have failed as badly as he did?

Personally, I'd like to see Martinez given a go, I think he's respected, people like him and players seem to respond to him. He's worked with N'Zogbia and got the best out of him before, a player who's essential if Villa are to progress into a top 8 side. We'd pass the ball around, Makoun coming back from loan, Stephen Ireland already in the squad, a lot of young players at Villa who are footballers more so than physical brutes. His biggest cock up's do seem to be in being able to buy strikers but thankfully we have Bent and Weimann coming through, both natural goalscorers so that's done for him!

Importantly as well, I think the fans can back him and would like him, bring something fresh, positive and just an extra buzz of excitement around the place. He'd certainly get more far more interested in what I see now and get me back to VP far more often than I go at the moment.

I was all for a young manager with potential (one of two to vote for Poyet in last summer's poll) but I am now thinking we need a disciplinarian to sort our squad out.

Basically stating what i have been advocating for some time now.

We desperately need a disciplinarian to sort the club out from top to bottom. Someone who will instantly gain the respect of the players and be able to attract better players to our club.

Lerner needs to make a statement of intent with his next appointment and that very manager is available without paying compensation.

Rafa is my choice for all of the above reasons and for those who will say we don't have the transfer budget to attract him, thats what i mean by a statement of intent. The wages issue will have been dealt with to a large extent in the summer and to attract a quality manager like Rafa then Lerner must make 30m available plus revenue from player sales.

We'll know in the summer which direction Lerner wants to take the club?

Are you for real or just a troll

Roy Keane was all over Irish radio during the week saying he's looking for a job back in management.

Would be a great choice for me, especially at this time of not much money and players not giving a shit.

A good kick up the arse, you can be sure we would try and win games

ROY KEANE 12/1 my pick

What ? Newcastle are a perfect example of players overachieving due to great management and 2 or 3 quality additions

With the correct appointment and a couple of quality players in we can replicate this

What ? Newcastle are a perfect example of players overachieving due to great management and 2 or 3 quality additions

With the correct appointment and a couple of quality players in we can replicate this

Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Santon, Ba, Cisse....make that 5 quality additions...found by scout Graham Carr who is head and shoulders above the scouting dross that is at our club.

IMO the whole club and its philosophy needs a **** good revamp if we are gonna do a Newcastle...not just "a couple of quality players and a manager".

Roy Keana has been a disaster in his two appointments. Would rather keep McLeish.

Needs to not be someone ego driven like that prat.

I agree that Keane would be bad but because his application is just as bad as McLeish's and he has relatively zero know-how. Egos can be fine - see Mourinho.

Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Santon, Ba, Cisse....make that 5 quality additions...found by scout Graham Carr who is head and shoulders above the scouting dross that is at our club.

IMO the whole club and its philosophy needs a **** good revamp if we are gonna do a Newcastle...not just "a couple of quality players and a manager".

Agree.. top to bottom needs sorting and clearing.

I too have to disagree with this. Better manager, by far, but if we are brutally honest Newcastle now have a far superior squad to ours. With out listing player for player, there are not many of ours that i would replace for Newcastles, including our two best performers Given and Ireland.

I know some have mentioned Benitez but i don't think we stand a chance. I remeber listening to a 5 live interview and it was an Italian pundit, who is apparently friends with Benitez, who stated that we approached him last summer but he was not be willing to work under the circumstance that Villa offered. I think the therm he used was 'being asked to work with his hands tied behind his back'. Unless Randy's finacial strategy has changed i can't see him coming, not that i would personally want him to.

Not top to bottom our reserve and youth set up is the best in uk

Scouting is shite though has been for as long as I can remember

Is Glenn Roeder still on the books ?

Not top to bottom our reserve and youth set up is the best in uk

if ours is the best then God help the future of English football.....

in recent times only Barry, Cahill and Gabby have proved they can cut it at this level IMO....

for every 1 decent young player we produce 10 shit ones that find their level in League 1...

im not saying its the worst but it shoiuld definately be looked at as well

I'd love Randy to approach Capello, lay down the conditions in which he'd have to work under, and then release his response to the public.

Would be hilarious, he'd be terrible for us, and there's not a chance he'd even want to manage us.