Stan Petrov

LondonLax

He can add some real character and composure to our squad. He knows what Villa is about so whatever happened last season in the dressing room won't happen this season.

He does command respect amongst the players.

Give him a one year deal, let him finish his career on a high (If we get promoted) then add him to our coaching team.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, jim said:

Yep, no contract, going to see how it goes. 

Good luck and fair play to him.

They were never going to just give him a contract. A trial suits both parties and he must have shown some propensity to possibly win a contract for them to offer him the opportunity. 

This is unbelievable really, wonderful news. I don't agree that a comeback is "unrealistic" myself. He might be 36 but he has had 3 years out of the game, if he's fully recovered and fit as ever that could be a positive in some respects rather than a negative. Not to mention his motivation, which must be through the roof. 

Gwarn Stan.

20 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

He can add some real character and composure to our squad. He knows what Villa is about so whatever happened last season in the dressing room won't happen this season.

He does command respect amongst the players.

Give him a one year deal, let him finish his career on a high (If we get promoted) then add him to our coaching team.

The only thing I would add, and I doubt I am disagreeing with you, is that even if he doesn't see much playing time, put him on late in some games especially if we are holding a lead to just keep things steady and keep possession.  But don't expect him to be a huge workhorse in a match, much less a season.  That's not his role.  His role is leadership, role modeling a professional that works hard and gives his all, and a cool head that's managed pressure before.

• Like 1

Just now, srsmithusa said:

The only thing I would add, and I doubt I am disagreeing with you, is that even if he doesn't see much playing time, put him on late in some games especially if we are holding a lead to just keep things steady and keep possession.  But don't expect him to be a huge workhorse in a match, much less a season.  That's not his role.  His role is leadership, role modeling a professional that works hard and gives his all, and a cool head that's managed pressure before.

My view would be more along the lines of if he earns a shot at the first team then put him in the first team. Let the coaches and the manager be the judge of that. 

29 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I just don't see a comeback being realistic but good on him for trying and to Villa for letting him.

Yeah i don't see a problem here, fair play all around. I wish him well. I would suggest that if he did impress enough to get a deal that Petrov won't be looking for a massive wage and maybe be on a pay as you play deal related deal.

I don’t think 37 should be an issue certainly not in the Championship. The guy was a class act and more than held his own at international level and was one of the first names on the team sheet in a side finishing top 6. There have been lots of players of lesser ability who have played well into their late thirties.

That is not to say it wouldn’t be something remarkable for him to come back from the illness he has to play professional football. The fact that he even has a sniff at doing so is remarkable in itself in fact.

Given how far he has come I certainly wouldn’t bet against him turning out for us again and it will be a special moment if he does.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

My view would be more along the lines of if he earns a shot at the first team then put him in the first team. Let the coaches and the manager be the judge of that. 

Of course, you are right.  That's only sensible.  I was making the leap to how I think that will most likely turn out.   You know, personal conjecture and stuff.  

I will say that the original post I quoted talked about giving him a year contract (also a conjucture based on the assumption the coaches and managers see him as useful in the first team).  If we are going to keep him first team for a season, to me, it would only make sense if it was planned that he would make some first team appearances.  I don't think we disagree, I'm just taking conjecture of what I think (and hope) will occur.  My guess is that you would like to see him succeed and be useful as well.

Edited by srsmithusa
  • Like 2

Excellent news, welcome home Stan. It really is remarkable, and such great news that he's recovered and got to stage where he can train with the team again. 

I honestly don't imagine he'll play competitively for us again, but just having him around can only be a good thing. I wish all faced with cancer could be so lucky. 

• Like 1

Â