Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

Bristol City Women had to draft academy players at the last minute to meet the numbers. The hyprocisy stinks. Everton are requesting a full disclosure from City. I find it impossible to believe they wouldn't have 14 available on the day.

The last people who would have wanted this cancelled would be City you'd have thought - it benefits them least.

They're the only club left in four competitions and they already have our game to reschedule.

Ordinarily you'd expect a team like City to jettison the League Cup - but they're already at the semi-final stage and they've got Manchester United in that - City can't sacrifice a cup semi-final against their local rivals. They'll struggle not to beat small heath in the FA Cup and then from there things get very complicated.

They've potentially got 39 games still to play this season, and if we account for the international break, they'll need to get them done in 138 days.

The clear dates at the moment for us and Everton look like being 10th Feb, 16th/17th Feb, 3rd March or 19th May - but if they do well in the cups, that's pretty much it - and if they do well in the FA Cup, they'll need to fit in both the two games that are already unscheduled and a rescheduled game against Wolves and a second rescheduled game against us. 

Citeh are getting right up against the edge of what's sensible in terms of their potential fixtures and if they end up with any more postponements, they'll be playing three games in fives days at least once. 

If their game against Chelsea on Sunday gets postponed, it's going to be very interesting to see how they cope - it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a postponement of the Chelsea game might see them consider dropping out of the FA Cup.

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The last people who would have wanted this cancelled would be City you'd have thought - it benefits them least.

They're the only club left in four competitions and they already have our game to reschedule.

Ordinarily you'd expect a team like City to jettison the League Cup - but they're already at the semi-final stage and they've got Manchester United in that - City can't sacrifice a cup semi-final against their local rivals. They'll struggle not to beat small heath in the FA Cup and then from there things get very complicated.

They've potentially got 39 games still to play this season, and if we account for the international break, they'll need to get them done in 138 days.

The clear dates at the moment for us and Everton look like being 10th Feb, 16th/17th Feb, 3rd March or 19th May - but if they do well in the cups, that's pretty much it - and if they do well in the FA Cup, they'll need to fit in both the two games that are already unscheduled and a rescheduled game against Wolves and a second rescheduled game against us. 

Citeh are getting right up against the edge of what's sensible in terms of their potential fixtures and if they end up with any more postponements, they'll be playing three games in fives days at least once. 

If their game against Chelsea on Sunday gets postponed, it's going to be very interesting to see how they cope - it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a postponement of the Chelsea game might see them consider dropping out of the FA Cup.

In normal circumstances I'd agree with you but these aren't normal circumstances so I'm really not so sure the assumption in that opening line is as certain as it would normally be.

In normal circumstances I agree fixture congestion would dictate that City wouldn't want the fixture postponed and in this already condensed season that is even more true. But, I think there is a monumental but that you've potentially over looked.

As it stands City have by their standards/requirements had a below par start to the season, as it stands they currently sit in 8th some 6 points behind Liverpool with a game in hand. That is quite a big gap after 14 or 15 games.

Everton away is a tough game at any time but they were already missing Aguero and Jesus through injury and then they've seemingly lost a number of other players to COVID. Hypothetically lets say KDB, Sterling Mahrez, Torres, Foden and Ederson were those out (intentionally strong selection) then how keen would City be to play the fixture? Would the added fixture congestion be preferable to a defeat and potentially falling further behind Liverpool?

I think it is far too easy to assume that Man City will be unhappy with this postponement.

16 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think it is far too easy to assume that Man City will be unhappy with this postponement.

I think the benefits of getting the game played would hugely outweigh the benefit to them of the break given what they could face going forwards this season - it sounds like the Chelsea game might go too which will leave them with a real struggle. If they have to delay the EFL Cup game it's going to be fascinating to see how they fit the games in - I just hope we don't have to end up playing twice in three days to accommodate them.

42 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the benefits of getting the game played would hugely outweigh the benefit to them of the break given what they could face going forwards this season - it sounds like the Chelsea game might go too which will leave them with a real struggle. If they have to delay the EFL Cup game it's going to be fascinating to see how they fit the games in - I just hope we don't have to end up playing twice in three days to accommodate them.

Perhaps they'll use their massive playing squad as they could have done v Everton. I'm not at all convinced that they didn't opt not to play, Everton certainly seem unsupporting.

• 4 weeks later...

Their squad is ridiculous. I hope we're not aspiring to be more like them. Multiple 50m players in every position and just passing teams to death incredibly efficiently. It's so boring to watch. It's like playing career mode with infinite money and all the sliders turned down. Liverpool 18/19 were much more exciting, and I like the way we currently play. 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Their squad is ridiculous. I hope we're not aspiring to be more like them. Multiple 50m players in every position and just passing teams to death incredibly efficiently. It's so boring to watch. It's like playing career mode with infinite money and all the sliders turned down. Liverpool 18/19 were much more exciting, and I like the way we currently play. 

They're a totally soulless husk of a club.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Foden looks a special talent. England are so blessed at the moment. 

Foden, Madisson, Grealish, Mount... Really really amazing. Best in the world?

Anyway, I can't wait for that back 5 with Rice and Henderson playing deep. I dare you Gareth, I double dare you.

Just now, Mic09 said:

Anyway, I can't wait for that back 5 with Rice and Henderson playing deep. I dare you Gareth, I double dare you.

Could be but like you say they wont all start and one may miss out on the squad altogether, possibly Madisson. 

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It's kind of amazing how Sancho and Sterling who looked to be nailed on starters have fell off a bit. 

England could start with Grealish - Maddison - Foden floating behind Kane and they'd all 100% deserve to be there on merit. Sancho, Sterling and Rashford in reserve if they want to go more direct with pace. An embarrassment of riches.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's kind of amazing how Sancho and Sterling who looked to be nailed on starters have fell off a bit. 

England could start with Grealish - Maddison - Foden floating behind Kane and they'd all 100% deserve to be there on merit. Sancho, Sterling and Rashford in reserve if they want to go more direct with pace. An embarrassment of riches.

If England had a capable manager they would play 1 screen in front of a back 4 and have Mount and Foden in midfield and 2 of Jack/Maddison/Sterling/Rashford/Sancho behind Harry Kane

but its Gareth Southgate so will be a Rice/Henderson/Mark Noble midfield trying to nick a 0-0 vs Scotland or Norway or whoever else in Englands group

Just now, villa89 said:

I thought it was bizarre jesus didn't start tonight. Pep trying to be too clever not playing a striker. It's often his downfall when he has those mad ideas. 

He isn’t very good though to be fair.

Foden on the other hand.... what a player he is.

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He isn’t very good though to be fair.

Agreed, I don't rate him at all but still, at least he gives you a focal point up front. It was just a mess tonight, plenty of space out wide but nobody in the box. 

Â