London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

**** farce already. The roads are screwed.

This is a massive "**** YOU" to those of us that keep this fare city running.

"Walk to work"...? What, with six boxes of cable strapped to my back and a set of ladders balanced on my head? Piss off Boris, we may live in a services industry society, but without my particular services you wouldn't have a city you **** clown.

We could go out of business because of this Stalinist utopia they've built for the faceless corporations and the faceless bigwigs that run them. Just so they can have a jolly old knees up on my taxes while we scratch around trying to survive.

**** your Olympics. Knock yourselves out....

I have to say if I lived in London and had been paying even more for the games through my council tax, I'd be inclined to drive in the olympic lane anyway. You've paid for the roads, and you've paid for the games. It's a pisstake.

£200 fine mate. If everybody did it perhaps we could, but if you can't organise Londoners then you can't organise anyone.

just get plod to shot someone and you'll have a mob on the streets before you can say opportunism

How did either her or the artist not realise sooner that they'd **** that up?

She's American and he's from Derby? ;-)

Ah well being as she was nominated by the Hotel chain she works for, ye reap what ye sow....

As much as I'm looking forward to the olympics, I couldn't give a flying **** with regards to the opening ceremony or the flame relay.

Carrying the olympic torch is akin to being chosen to press the button at the National Lottery draw.

As much as I'm looking forward to the olympics, I couldn't give a flying **** with regards to the opening ceremony or the flame relay.

Carrying the olympic torch is akin to being chosen to press the button at the National Lottery draw.

I'd prefer to push Mylene's button than carry an oylimpic torch.

I am torn between wanting it to go really well for the athletes but I want it to go horribly wrong for Cameron and his little friends in front of billions. I suppose I can't lose really.

Protestors in custardy.

The former London 2012 "ethics tsar" Meredith Alexander has accused police of an "Olympic-sized overreaction", saying they broke up a theatre performance designed to highlight the problems of corporate sponsorship of the Games and arrested six people on suspicion of criminal damage for spilling custard.

Alexander, who was behind the event in Trafalgar Square in central London on Friday, quit her role as a commissioner of the Olympic sustainability watchdog earlier this year over the awarding of a £7m Olympic sponsorship deal to Dow Chemical. Dow owns Union Carbide Corporation (UCC), responsible for the 1984 gas disaster in Bhopal, India, which killed 25,000 people.

Alexander described how 25 police officers moved in after the 15-minute piece of theatre, which was performed to explain objections to sponsorship of the Olympics by companies such as Dow, BP and Rio Tinto.

Police sources confirmed that six individuals were arrested in Trafalgar Square for criminal damage. Alexander said the individuals were led away in handcuffs after green custard used in the show spilled on to the ground.

Three of those arrested were actors in the performance, the other three were in the process of cleaning up the custard, which had been poured over the actors.

Alexander said: "Dow, BP and Rio Tinto are spending millions to tell the public how sustainable they are. We did a 15-minute piece of theatre to reveal the truth and as a result of this piece of theatre 25 police officers turned up and six people were arrested. It is an Olympic-sized overreaction."

The performance – entitled Greenwash Gold 2012 awards – involved three actors representing the three companies having the green custard poured over their heads.

It is understood the police believed the green substance was paint, but Alexander denied this.

"We spilt a little bit of the green custard on the square and were in the process of cleaning it up when the police arrived," she said.

Kevin Smith of London Mining Network, which was involved in the performance, said: "It's ridiculously heavy-handed policing to arrest people for public theatre. The authorities are going to extreme lengths to protect the tarnished reputations of controversial Olympic sponsors like Dow."

A Scotland Yard spokesman confirmed seven people were arrested in Trafalgar Square on suspicion of criminal damage after reports of protesters "throwing" a green substance "believed to be custard".

The seven, three women aged 35, 37 and 51 and four men aged 24, 45, 64 and 66 remain in custody in London police stations, he added.

Good article which sets the record straight on Olympic football ticket sales.

Some say that was a good reason for selecting David Beckham. Beckham could have shifted a huge chunk of those 500,000 tickets, couldn't he?

Well, actually, no.

Team GB v Uruguay at the Millennium Stadium on August 1 is a sell-out. So are all Great Britain's matches at Wembley, plus the men's quarter-finals, semi-finals and final at Wembley, as well the women's final, while the men's quarter-final and bronze medal matches in Cardiff are both close to being sell-outs.

Meanwhile, the first match at the Millennium - the women's clash between Team GB and New Zealand - has sold 33,000 tickets, which is almost 25,000 more than the maiden women's FA Cup final attracted in May when 8,723 spectators turned up to see Birmingham beat Chelsea on penalties at Bristol's Ashton Gate.

Of course, it would be wonderful if there was a bum on every seat at the London Olympics. But this is one time we should listen to the suits and the bean counters who tell us more than 1.6million tickets have been sold already for the Olympic football, more than for any other sport and more than the recent European Championships in Poland and Ukraine.

That compares with actual overall football attendances in Atlanta 1996 of 1.35million, Sydney 2000 1.075m, Athens 2004 0.43m and Beijing 2008 2.1m.

Beat the organisers over the head on security and transport and legacy and even the dreadful weather if you like, but the amount of football seats which will be full is not too shabby for a sport which should not be anywhere near the Olympics.

Football attendances above average for Games

Tried to put a bet on today - I know nothing about betting and have never placed one before. It was on the cycling ('natch) but they said that they couldn't accept it until the end of the week .It's not an obvious one like Wiggins or Cav but they said come back on Thursday. Couldn't understand that.

Lets hope this is a great games. I just moved to London 2 weeks ago and live in a dandy little spot near the tower. No packed sweaty tube rides for me. No no.

Looking to pick up some Tennis tickets if some come available. I'm already going to Katie T's demoilition job in the womens boxing. Weather is getting very nice indeed to boot.

Tried to put a bet on today - I know nothing about betting and have never placed one before. It was on the cycling ('natch) but they said that they couldn't accept it until the end of the week .It's not an obvious one like Wiggins or Cav but they said come back on Thursday. Couldn't understand that.

There seem to be a lot of markets about the respective event winner - easyodds. Was it something else you were punting on?

Well that's amazing ! Thanks very much Snowy.

The bet I wanted was:- GB women to win team pursuit AND Australia to win the mens team pursuit (is that called a double ?)

Looking at the odds in your link, it doesn't seem worth it. I as said , the women in Bet Fred (I think it was) made a phone call and said try later.

Wife and self were thinking of really lashing out on this -- £5 between us !

Well im going to the mens QF at Old Trafford and i cant wait :)

i had a look but couldnt find any more information on the seats than the 3 categories and the prices, no seating plan, no information on if you could pick your seat or anything

compared to how villa sell tickets online and using the assumption that for games there utd have something at least just as good, i thought it was piss poor

im not even willing to pay £20 for a seat if i cant find out where that seat is 1st

Â