London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

Well, the North Korean womens football team have walked off the pitch at Hampden Park because organizers showed a South Korean flag by mistake.

Given how much time and effort Glaswegians put into the the whole Irish situation you'd think they would be a bit better at not getting north and south mixed up, would you not?

Appalling and quite offensive mistake to make

Surprised it happened in view of the article I read where they said everything had been entered onto computers and then checked by different people over and over to ensure they didn't get wrong flags or wrong anthems

I was listening on the radio this morning to one spokesperson saying they have got this wrong and will be rolling back the policy to clamp down on small business and focusing on gorilla campaigns from the other big corporations. Would be a step in the right direction if true.

I believe they know that the courts would throw any cases out and that they adopted a heavy handed approach in order to scare the vast majority of people from trying it on in the hope it would save them having to try and prosecute anyone

a terrible mistake imo and one they seem to be back tracking on

And I don't think it's unfair to say that you have to a complete mong to not be aware of both the difference between North and South Korea, and also the "need" to make that difference clear.

And I don't think it's unfair to say that you have to a complete mong to not be aware of both the difference between North and South Korea, and also the "need" to make that difference clear.
This. It's not quite flying a swastika flag for Israel, but it's not far off.

Well, the North Korean womens football team have walked off the pitch at Hampden Park because organizers showed a South Korean flag by mistake.

Given how much time and effort Glaswegians put into the the whole Irish situation you'd think they would be a bit better at not getting north and south mixed up, would you not?

Nice to see the N Koreans getting into the Olympian spirit.

I'm not really sure pissing off the Koreans is a good idea.

no offence intended but that's almost as ignorant as putting up the wrong flag

they aren't saints but lets just say it suits the American agenda (and the Chinese) for that matter to have the DPRK as a pariah state .. and the DPRK is nothing like how the western media would try and have you believe ... and yes I have been there and seen it for myself .

Of course it doesn't make me an expert on the region and I'm fully aware that we were steered to only see what they wanted us to see (but we had free reign most of the time and mingled with locals , who speak English (it's the second language out there)

you only need a few minutes there to see the difference between what the west portray and reality ...

anyhow rant / lecture over :-) I really liked the place and the people and feel i have to do my bit to spread the word ....

I was listening on the radio this morning to one spokesperson saying they have got this wrong and will be rolling back the policy to clamp down on small business and focusing on gorilla campaigns from the other big corporations. Would be a step in the right direction if true.

Not really those GUERRILLA marketing campaigns employ people and unless they involve some illegal activity should be left entirely alone. Just because one corporation decides to sponsor the games, doesn't mean other non sponsorship companies cannot use any means at their disposal to legally advertise their products.

Unless I missed it, there wasn't a special law passed in parliament outlawing any rival company to the official sponsors from marketing their own products.

Unless I missed it, there wasn't a special law passed in parliament outlawing any rival company to the official sponsors from marketing their own products.

I thought that the Olympics and Paralympics Act made specific reference to the host city contract and that the subsequent policies and regulations were specific about 'ambush marketing'?

OMG they found a perfectly legal loophole to advertise their company. I'd say the Olympics would love if non-Olympic advertising was just banned for the duration of the games. Everywhere and by everyone. Sadly we haven't yet reached that point. Don't worry though. God willing we'll get there in our lifetime :rolly eyes:

I was in Cardiff yesterday afternoon. For those that don’t know the geography of the City, the stadium is bang in the middle of town. This makes it a great venue on match days, you can’t help but get swept up in the whole thing. Wide shopping streets lead to the stadium and have a good selection of pubs, bars and eateries all with outdoor seating to capitalise on the equatorial weather patterns.

The grip on not allowing any form of Olympic branding, no use of key words or phrases and trading standards wandering the streets looking to stamp on anybody doing anything was impressive. So impressive, that I had actually forgotten there was a game on. Other than directly outside the stadium gates where there was a mascot (some sort of fox or bear for some reason) posing for photos you wouldn’t have known the Olympics were in town on that day.

That’s got to be an error? They should be encouraging shops to theme up their window displays surely?

As for schools being given free tickets, I’d love to know what schools. I’ve got friends that are teachers all around Cardiff and the Vale, about 10 different schools in a 12 mile arc around Cardiff. None know anything about any free tickets. Perhaps that’s why there was a 15,000 no show. Somewhere there’s a head masters desk with 15,000 tickets shoved in it and a post it note with ‘to do’ written on it.

I suppose the peripheral events are just that, peripheral. The majority will be in London, natch, and I’m sure there’ll be no mistaking the games are on. Certainly the number of 2012 branded BMW’s on the M25 should be a big clue. It was funny on Tuesday, got passed by the usual quota of BMW’s containing a single suited office type. I’ve got used to that over the last few months. What was different this week was as well as the suits in Beemers, there were groups of people in sportswear, crammed into Minibuses and Fiats. British cycling appear to be travelling in a fleet of Fiat Bravos. I think that reflects something of the Olympic ethos.

Don’t mean to be negative, the BBC are doing a great job of promoting this and I'm going to get into it. It’s just my personal experience is slightly meh!

As for schools being given free tickets, I’d love to know what schools.

I heard them say on 5 live that they had given 40,000 tickets away but I thought they were referring to Hampden park at that point

For those that don’t know the geography of the City

i'm in town on Weds for the GB game ... have you got the geography on some decent pubs ? :-)

As for schools being given free tickets, I’d love to know what schools.

I heard them say on 5 live that they had given 40,000 tickets away but I thought they were referring to Hampden park at that point

For those that don’t know the geography of the City

i'm in town on Weds for the GB game ... have you got the geography on some decent pubs ? :-)

Tony,

The two obvious venues are The Cross and Minski's. Just in case I've read it wrong and your not a transvestite, there's also the Old Arcade and The City Arms. Both a couple of minutes from the stadium. Both serve Brains Black and SA. Both will offer an excellent passers by viewing opportunity if you sit outside.

But there are shed loads.

I'm probs in Kent on Wednesday or I'd have offered to buy a pint.

Â