So, The_Rev's predictions for the top of the medals table:

1] United States

2] China

3] United Kingdom

4] Russia

5] Australia

6] Germany

7] who really gives a ****?

Based on number of golds, obviously. I'm sure the Yanks will find a way of arranging the table so they are top regardless of what happens but I think now China doesnt have home advantage we will see our chums from across the pond win the most golds.

I think I am being a tad optimistic with us. The home nation always gets a boost because its athletes have been preparing for so long for their particular games and the government tend to throw a bit more money at them too. Anywhere in the top five would be a very successful games though. I think we should clean up in cycling, sailing and boxing but I think we might struggle again in track & field.

25,000 at the Millenium in Cardiff today for the opening GB Women's football. For some reason they were expecting over 40,000 so I wonder if they had a lot of no shows or had expected walk up that didn't materialise.

I wouldn't be surprised if Australia a lower than that actually.

This is our smallest Olympic squad since Barcelona.

I wouldn't worry, just as long as Michelle Jenneke qualified...

Well, the North Korean womens football team have walked off the pitch at Hampden Park because organizers showed a South Korean flag by mistake.

Given how much time and effort Glaswegians put into the the whole Irish situation you'd think they would be a bit better at not getting north and south mixed up, would you not?

Is it true if you wear branded sportswear of a non official sponsor eg Nike, you will be denied access

no

an individual can wear whatever they like other than big hats

if you turn up with a bunch of mates and try to sit as a block and you've clearly got a slogan or something dastardly spelled out then you will be shot by the police then taken out and lost by G4S

Just bumped into my mate down the pub and now I have another reason to watch the opening ceremony apart from the 300 sheep as he's going to be in it (small walk on part) but nonetheless we shall be cheering him on from the pub!

Well, the North Korean womens football team have walked off the pitch at Hampden Park because organizers showed a South Korean flag by mistake.

Given how much time and effort Glaswegians put into the the whole Irish situation you'd think they would be a bit better at not getting north and south mixed up, would you not?

Nice to see the N Koreans getting into the olympian spirit.

im not really sure pissing off the koreans is a good idea.

She isn't at the Olympics is she? I'm sure I read somewhere that she wasn't selected.

im not really sure pissing off the koreans is a good idea.

There's a joke in there somewhere... Erm something about North Korea bombing Glasgow, and not being able to tell the difference... I dunno, figure it out for yourselves.

She isn't at the Olympics is she? I'm sure I read somewhere that she wasn't selected.

What a **** outrage.

What a **** outrage.

Andy.jpg

The Womens' footie opener (NZ 0 GB 1) wasn't as bad as I expected. GB squandered too many sitters, but the free kick that won it was pretty tidy.

On another topic, this business about clamping down on "unauthorised" use of trademarks demonstrates the stupidity of the whole sponsorship system. OK, they need the money from the big corporates, but the fact that they are employing jobsworths to go around threatening small businesses who use the Olympic theme in their shops is **** disgraceful.

We are in a recession, our small businesses and high streets are struggling. The government make much of the fact that the Olympics brings in lots of visitors and "stimulates the economy". Then they do this. What they SHOULD be doing is the exact opposite - going round to the small high street shops and ENCOURAGING them to make the most of the Olympic idea - SUGGEST that they use themed window displays, produce "Olympic ring doughnuts", etc., etc.

Instead, they threaten them with fines. **** madness.

The spirit of the games only applies to the athletes because its a way of getting them to provide their services for free. Sponsors can be as evil and greedy as they see fit.

The Womens' footie opener (NZ 0 GB 1) wasn't as bad as I expected. GB squandered too many sitters, but the free kick that won it was pretty tidy.

On another topic, this business about clamping down on "unauthorised" use of trademarks demonstrates the stupidity of the whole sponsorship system. OK, they need the money from the big corporates, but the fact that they are employing jobsworths to go around threatening small businesses who use the Olympic theme in their shops is **** disgraceful.

We are in a recession, our small businesses and high streets are struggling. The government make much of the fact that the Olympics brings in lots of visitors and "stimulates the economy". Then they do this. What they SHOULD be doing is the exact opposite - going round to the small high street shops and ENCOURAGING them to make the most of the Olympic idea - SUGGEST that they use themed window displays, produce "Olympic ring doughnuts", etc., etc.

Instead, they threaten them with fines. **** madness.

I was listening on the radio this morning to one spokesperson saying they have got this wrong and will be rolling back the policy to clamp down on small business and focusing on gorilla campaigns from the other big corporations. Would be a step in the right direction if true.

Â