London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

in terms of spectator sports basket ball is probably one one best sports in the games.

Just goes to show how opinions differ. I have never understood the appeal of basketball. Every match seems the same to me - everybody runs down one end - scores. Then they all rush down the other end - score. Repeat until full time, when the final score will be something like 109-96.

Sorry, but that's just boring. I like a sport where scoring takes a bit of effort, tactics, cunning.

in terms of spectator sports basket ball is probably one one best sports in the games.

Just goes to show how opinions differ. I have never understood the appeal of basketball. Every match seems the same to me - everybody runs down one end - scores. Then they all rush down the other end - score. Repeat until full time, when the final score will be something like 109-96.

Sorry, but that's just boring. I like a sport where scoring takes a bit of effort, tactics, cunning.

It's also not very interesting when everyone knows who will win the gold medal.

That is true but surely it will still be better than archery or shooting or equestrian?

I'd actually be more interested in some of the fringe events than basketball, and even the football. An olympic gold medal does no represent the highest level of achievement for football....it's like the Cup Winner's Cup of international tournaments.

That is true but surely it will still be better than archery or shooting or equestrian?

Hmmm. Dunno. Quite enjoy a bit of show jumping for a change. The target events are a bit dull to watch, I agree.

No BMX fans on here then :suspect:

The more I hear about the opening ceremony: lollipop ladies, hospital beds (NHS?), a mosh pit, livestock. It sounds worryingly shit and has a whiff of the Millennium Dome to it. Only a few billion will be watching. Seb Coe is annoying me increasingly as well.

Looking forward to the track & field and swimming.

I don't understand why any foreign people/tourists would come to the Olympics in our country.

It's not like the World Cup where you go to support your country.

Surely you would only go if it was in your country?

I don't understand why any foreign people/tourists would come to the Olympics in our country.

Um, I think people go because they want to see the events in person, and support their countrymen/women...it IS like the World Cup where you go to support your country. Who else would you support?

Folks went to a pub last night which is on the route for the cycling

The pub have been told they are not allowed to serve Pepsi during the cycling , any bottled water they sell HAS to be Evian and if the serve food they can't sell any burgers

£6000 fine if caught

My first inclination is that there isn't a court in this land that would uphold such a fine ... but then again we do live in England so I would expect the courts to hound these people to the ends of the earth and beyond

Um, I think people go because they want to see the events in person, and support their countrymen/women...it IS like the World Cup where you go to support your country. Who else would you support?

Yes but can you really imagine 3,000 Australians travelling to watch their swimming team?

The Olympics doesn't seem like an event that you would travel away to.

I go along with that 100%

I have often wondered why they use 2 goal posts ? I mean there is no midfield and 1 goal post would save a lot of running around!

Yes but can you really imagine 3,000 Australians travelling to watch their swimming team?

The Olympics doesn't seem like an event that you would travel away to.

Obviously people do.

Some might go just because it's the olympics. Others will go because they are avid fans of the sport in question.

There are plenty of people, for your example, who are avid swimming fans. So the Olympics is THE biggest sporting event in the world for them.

So of course people will go to the events. Ok they might go to see it as more of a general spectacle rather than supporting one person/team in particular.

But once they're there, they'll most likely take it upon themselves to suport their country while they're at it.

I know that's what i would do

I'm with you, Mike.

Basketball certainly (imo) isn't one of the best sports to watch in the games. Far from it.

Â