London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

I don't know why he doesn't just change the key of the songs to suit his naturally ageing voice. Or just drop everything a semi tone or whole step. That might help, rather than trying to hit the notes he could in his twenties.

I was amused by BoJo’s performance

Can we Beat France? Yes we can. Can we beat Australia? Yes we can. Can we beat Germany? I think so

Yep, that was good. I was also amused by his live interview on Sky about half an hour ago - how did an interview to discuss the Olympics turn into a story about his secretary tricked him into getting a haircut. Comedy gold.

Heard a bit of Boris from Hyde park last night whilst he somehow managed to insult half the world without anyone seeming to care ...

A good Olympics and then Boris will start his push for Tory Leader ready for a run at PM in 2015 :-)

Personally I though Johnson was crass. His behavior was not what you would expect from a man in his position
Exactly what you'd expect from him, though.

So, who's lighting the candle then? Redgrave? Bannister?

The Queen has become a surprise late bet to light the Olympic cauldron, with one bookmaker slashing odds on the monarch doing the honours from 25–1 to 5–1 overnight.

Several bookmakers suspended betting on the market after a flurry of bets backing Sir Roger Bannister, the man who ran the first sub-four minute mile.

Bannister and Sir Steve Redgrave remain the clear favourites, with odds hovering at close to evens. Redgrave's gold medals at five consecutive Olympics arguably make him a safer choice in protocol terms, given that the honour is traditionally given to a sportsperson with significant history at the Games. Bannister competed at the 1952 Olympics but failed to win a medal.

Similarly medal-less is the Queen, but this has not stopped the bookmaker BetFred dropping the odds on the 86-year-old monarch igniting the cauldron in the Olympic stadium. "We've had about 400 bets on the Queen, and the odds have gone right from 25-1 to 5-1," said a spokesman for the company.

Given the potential for insider knowledge, all bookies have limited punts on the flame-lighter's identity to relatively small sums, about £200 or so. "If someone walked into our Windsor office with £20,000 in cash we wouldn't accept it, no," said the spokesman.

William Hill said it was keeping its market closed following the spate of bets on Bannister.

"We've run this market for seven years, ever since London got the Games, and throughout it Sir Steve Redgrave was always the favourite," said a spokesman. "But from about 7pm on Wednesday till yesterday [Thursday] afternoon we got a sustained run of bets on Bannister."

The four of five bookies still taking bets offer a range of less likely choices, including David Beckham at around 7-1, Bradley Wiggins at 33-1, or for the more ambitious, Lady Thatcher at 250-1.

On Thursday morning the organising committee's chief executive, Paul Deighton, said the person who would light the cauldron had been chosen and Team GB's chef de mission, Andy Hunt, said the decision had been "unanimous".

Â