London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

Not at all. The topic of conversation on various lines today was about how bad the service has been, annoyance at the massive price rises and the dread that the Olympics will seriously affect what is now becoming a poor service.

"Red Ken"? - you are obsessed Tony.

The topic of conversation on various lines today was about how bad the service has been

If you were on the tube today you'd know that golden rule number one is don't talk to anybody and either look at your feet or stick your nose in a newspaper / listen to your ipod .... talking to people I'm surprised you didn't get a carriage to yourself

and he's always been known as Red Ken ....

I was on the tube today quite a few times trying to get across London throughout the day. Didn't say I was having a conversation, but the sardine conditions meant that you could not help to overhear the grumblings from people genuinely concerned about the shit expensive service, and concerned about what the Olympics would do when many more tourists apparently hit "old Lardarn tarn".

The topic of conversation on various lines today was about how bad the service has been

If you were on the tube today you'd know that golden rule number one is don't talk to anybody and either look at your feet or stick your nose in a newspaper / listen to your ipod .... talking to people I'm surprised you didn't get a carriage to yourself

Us sociable folks from north of Watford Gap always talk to strangers. I find that Londoners are so surprised they are often shocked into talking back, and a conversation breaks out.

. I find that Londoners are so surprised they are often shocked into talking back, and a conversation breaks out.

the lift where i worked Canary wharf broke down one time when i was in it with 8 people in it and everyone just stood there in silence looking at the floor ..mind you one of the 8 was American and nobody wanted to take the chance of having to make conversation with him

John Major said hello to me one time when i shared the lift with him though :-)

suffer the arrogance of the locals

You talking about me :D

in an OT kind of way it is quite interesting though .. If someone said to me off the top of your head define arrogance in the UK I'd have said Yorkshire without any hesitation .. London wouldn't have even come into my thoughts

as the saying goes You can always tell a Yorkshireman, .... but you can't tell him much.

but maybe it's just Geoff Boycott influencing my opinion ?

I have to confess I love London and I don't feel any arrogant vibe from the area.

Yes, they can be pushy and in a rush and more interested in the profit margin on jobs than some other regions. But it's a capital city, it goes with the territory.

To label any region as arrogant is a bit sweeping, but if I was forced to I'd say tou can get attitude from Yorkshire, Manchester, Scotland and Wales. But not always. I know some really self effacing Yorkies and a couple of guys from Leeds currently in London which should be a perfect storm of arrogance but they are really great.

For myself, I can't be bothered with rugby, generally love england and have two distinctly separate eyebrows, so I'm not stereotypically Welsh.

Back on the 'lympics: I've had to go down to Weymouth a few times recently. Best of luck to anyone thinking of watching some of the boating events. Set out in plenty of time. The nice new road is still single lane and knackered by a single lorry or tanker or tractor at any point.

Apparently, during the events they are going to try and ban wide vehicles and tractors etc.. The fact they have that contingency plan shows they know it's going to be horrible.

I have to confess I love London and I don't feel any arrogant vibe from the area.

agreed Mr Crisp. :nod:

I have a mate that's lived in London for years now (plus a sister who lievs there, and our works head office), and I pay regular visits. Got to know the place really well, and I find it cosmopolitan, accepting, entertaining, vibrant, and just kind of 'cool'. Also quite hospitable too. People often quote the 'unfriendly' line, or they don't chat to you line, but that's not been my general experience.

Love the place.

• 1 month later...
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) is considering plans to install surface-to-air missiles in Blackheath and Shooters Hill during the Olympic Games.

The MoD said it had taken military advice to identify sites to base the defence systems to protect the skies over London in the event of an attack.

Eltham and Plumstead MP Clive Efford said he was concerned at the "lack of consultation".

The MoD said no final decision had been made to use the air defence systems.

Mr Efford said he had now written to Defence Secretary Philip Hammond to complain about not being consulted.

The Labour MP said the first he heard about the plans was when half a dozen trucks and trailers arrived at Oxleas Wood, near Shooters Hill in his constituency.

"I accept there has to be security for the Olympics and inconvenience but there are proper processes to go through," he said.

"I would have expected a full briefing from the minister. This is a site of special scientific interest so I was alarmed when I heard. I have no idea of the scale of this plan and what damage might happen."

Lewisham East MP Heidi Alexander, whose constituency covers Blackheath, said she was unhappy with the way the MoD had been handling communications on the issue.

She said: "The idea of a terrorist attack on the Olympics is something that none of us wants to contemplate. Having said that, all of us would expect the government to plan for it.

"I can't say I like the idea of missiles on Blackheath but if the military and security experts think that is necessary to have a last line of defence to deal with all eventualities, those defence systems will have to go somewhere.

"We are told that no decision has yet been taken but given the testing and evaluation work that is under way, I think that local people have a right to know what is being considered and at least be able to get answers to basic questions."

A MoD spokesman said: "As announced before Christmas, ground based air defence systems could be deployed as part of a multi-layered air security plan for the Olympics, including fast jets and helicopters, which will protect the skies over London during the Games.

"Based on military advice we have identified a number of sites and, alongside colleagues from the Metropolitan Police, are talking to local authorities and relevant landowners to help minimise the impact of any temporary deployments.

"As part of our ongoing planning, we can confirm site evaluations have taken place. However, no final decision on whether or not to deploy ground based air defence systems for the Games has been taken."

In November Defence Secretary Philip Hammond confirmed ground-to-air missiles will be deployed to protect the 2012 Olympic Games in London if deemed "operationally necessary" but gave no indication at the time where these might be installed.

BBC

• 4 months later...

Just 11 days until the start of the 'lympics.

I'm looking forward to see what Danny Boyle does with the opening ceremony. Probably going to piss down.

My missus hates sport, but she's really looking forward to the opening ceremony. I **** hate those things, I think they should just get on with the sport.

London 1948 would have been my ideal Olympics - no bullshit.

(And, no, I wasn't there, before some wag suggests it).

Â