London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

I'll probably watch a footie game or two if it's on the box and I have nothing better to do. Nice to see some potential future stars. After that I'll only be interested in the finals of the track events, and then only if it involves a British runner.

Well, with the Euros, I was pretty uninterested before they started, and as usual I ended up watching virtually every match.

I expect the Olympics will be the same. I feel no enthusiasm at the moment (not helped by the blanket publicity/hype that has been inescapable for months now). But I will probably find myself watching loads of different events anyway. It's what usually happens.

Well, with the Euros, I was pretty uninterested before they started, and as usual I ended up watching virtually every match.

I expect the Olympics will be the same. I feel no enthusiasm at the moment (not helped by the blanket publicity/hype that has been inescapable for months now). But I will probably find myself watching loads of different events anyway. It's what usually happens.

I am probably the opposite.

I get pumped up about heading over to the live fan sites or catching the street events or the free concerts or chatting up the fit female tourists in the pubs etc but will probably end up working all the time and watching the odd event on TV.

I for one can't wait. The fact it's in London doesn't raise or lower my expectations.

I love the Olympics, I always have. I was only 6, but I still remember loving Barcelona '92.

I'll be watching as much of it as I can. Sure there's a few sports in it that shouldn't be. Tennis, golf, football etc.

But the vast majority of it is bloody brilliant, in my opinion. It is the absolute pinnacle of the sport for a significant amount of the sports involved, and that for me is really exciting.

So I don't care how much people moan. I cannot wait for it to start.

As someone who is sick of the London-bias in this country, I am still excited about the Olympics. If the UK was ever to host the Olympics, it was only ever going to be London. So I don't see any point in complaining that London has got all the investment, etc.

I'm a bit surprised with all the negativity...it's 2-3 weeks of constant sport...what's not to like!!?? Sure I think some of the events are dull, but it doesn't mean other people don't enjoy them. Also with the Mrs enjoying the Olympics, there'll be a lot less c**p on our TV over the next few weeks!

As for the "legacy", I really don't care.

Just found out the Beeb are going to broadcast the games in Ultra HD on 3 giant screens at 3 locations in the UK (Glasgow, London and Bradford).

I'm half tempted by the bradford showings TBH - free entry too (but you have to book tickets)

The cables will carry ultra-high definition video, which at a resolution of 7680x4320 is an astonishing 16 times the quality of HD television.
:mrgreen:

Link

Athletics and football are the best sports.

I'm looking forward to it but I think if the Olympics were in Birmingham then less people/media would be hyping it.

I've got 2 tennis tickets , 1 table tennis ticket and 2 athletics evening tickets. My hotel was cheap and only 3 miles from the venue so might sniff around for some morning athletics tickets from the touts.

Looking forward to it!

I'm half tempted by the bradford showings TBH - free entry too (but you have to book tickets)
Plus you'd actually have to go to Bradford. *shudder*
Damn straight. As someone who is there five days a week, my advice is to avoid the place like the plague. Leeds is fine. Bradford? Ghastly.

Damn straight. As someone who is there five days a week, my advice is to avoid the place like the plague. Leeds is fine. Bradford? Ghastly.

I should be OK to get tickets for this then? :lol:

TBH it's still nearly an hour and a half for me to get to, but is much nearer than Londinium or Glasgow, and I am keen to see this uber-cool large screen 16 times 'better' than HD! :P

I should be OK to get tickets for this then? :lol:

TBH it's still nearly an hour and a half for me to get to, but is much nearer than Londinium or Glasgow, and I am keen to see this uber-cool large screen 16 times 'better' than HD! :P

If it's what I think it is, i.e. this:

bbcbigscreen1-copy.gif

...I wouldn't get too excited. I walk past it every day, and it's really not that impressive.

As well as archery theres synchronised swimming, shooting, diving, equestrian, fencing, gymnastics, judo, sailing, taekwondo, trampoline, wrestling, weightlifting, table tennis and swimming that are all more boring than basketball, in terms of spectator sports basket ball is probably one one best sports in the games.

It really is choc full of dull sports

I love me some ping pong!

Â