Martin O'Neill

maqroll

I did listen to one of the podcast, and in fairness he did try and explain the whole 'weak team in the Europa' business, which is why I went off him originally. 

That said it was clear that his ego is mahoosive.

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

It was Lerners fault for giving the manager a free rein. We had no strategy or structure in the club back then. There was no club philosophy. A director of football would have been a huge help. 

No way would MoN accept a DoF. He said so himself. He wanted control over the whole shebang. You are right though, it would have been helpful.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

He turned off the tap because his money was being wasted

His money was being wasted on some absolute dross, and we should have broken the top 4 with the resources, but while MON could have given us a better couple of years than he did before he left, the tap was always being turned off due to factors out of his control, IMO. The divorce and Man City changing the game were far bigger factors, I think.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

His money was being wasted on some absolute dross, and we should have broken the top 4 with the resources, but while MON could have given us a better couple of years than he did before he left, the tap was always being turned off due to factors out of his control, IMO. The divorce and Man City changing the game were far bigger factors, I think.

Yep both were at fault. Lerner for being naive and MON for being stubborn clearing in the woods who wasted his money

• Like 1

If he'd have cracked the top 4 though I think he'd have found a buyer. 

The thing is it seems everyone wants to buy a club these days. If Lerner had sold after we'd just got 6th 3 times in a row we'd have been alright. Imagine if we finished 6th three times now? NSWE would be able to sell for 10 times more than what they paid

• Like 1

On 13/11/2022 at 08:31, Zatman said:

Knight was a better signing than Cuellar. The only Spanish footballer at the time with zero technique. His throw ins were embarrassing too

Knight was rubbish.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Why couldn't Lerner just keep his marriage in tact

I don't think it was his marriage

Would say it was more him seeing the writing on the wall with FFP, the game is financially rigged and clubs have official pillow partners, don't forget we had a children's charity on the front of our shirt when FFP was announced

I just wish he'd borrowed dave whelans soap box and called everyone out on it rather than sulking off, villa should have gone to war over it and instead we meekly backed down and I would argue were one of the worst if not definitley the biggest victim of FFP implications, no actual sanctions obviously but it didn't just set us back 10 years it sent us so far down the pile we'll likely never recover without the rules changing again

He saw it coming... And did nothing

He was a pretty crap owner. He failed with an NFL side, where everything is set up to give poor teams a level playing field. 

He was just a guy who had inherited a load of money from his dad and decided to throw it around running sports teams.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, LondonLax said:

It was Lerners fault for giving the manager a free rein. We had no strategy or structure in the club back then. There was no club philosophy. A director of football would have been a huge help. 

Didn't we have that Fitzgerald guy in to do that sort of thing before MON threw a wobbly and he had to leave?

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Tipped for a Leicester return apparently!

I think that was just Gabby on TS this morning.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Tipped for a Leicester return apparently!

It would be hilarious. Even more so than Lampard at Chelsea.

Can’t see it, though.

Â