Martin O'Neill

maqroll

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes they were in a better position to be begin with. Problem was we had a good first team but no squad so they were always burnt out by march. Maybe he's at fault for signing poor squad players but they were good times imo

How were they in a better position that they were picking up bargains. It makes no sense

One of the 2 biggest scumbags to manage Villa, the other left last month

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

How were they in a better position that they were picking up bargains. It makes no sense

One of the 2 biggest scumbags to manage Villa, the other left last month

I'm judging him as a manager not a person. He's considered a failure because he didn't make the chanpions lesgue. How the expectations have fallen! 

Just now, PaulC said:

I'm judging him as a manager not a person. He's considered a failure because he didn't make the chanpions lesgue. How the expectations have fallen! 

He had a 10 point lead over Arsenal with the 5th highest budget in the league. Absolute no defence of the scumbag

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He had a 10 point lead over Arsenal with the 5th highest budget in the league. Absolute no defence of the scumbag

Weak squad that's why so I agree he's to blame for that. Arsenal had bigger budget better players better squad and been  there and done it.  

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Weak squad that's why so I agree he's to blame for that. Arsenal had bigger budget better players better squad and been  there and done it.  

Bullshit and you know it. Agbonlahor scored more than any Arsenal player that season and Arsenal spent about 25 million less than us that summer

They signed Arshavin we signed MON hero Heskey as our highest paid player

Edited by Zatman

55 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Cahill left in 2008 and we were nowhere near top 4. Davies, Knight, Dunne, Cuellar (he was shit😂) and Collins were all signed by MON

Thats about 30 million on centre backs in 3 years and lost Cahill for peanuts....same for Davis we never sighed better midfielders

Cuellar was o.k in my book, perhaps looked better in ultra defensive Rangers team but he was solid for his first two seasons and part of the very good defensive unit of 09/10 albeit at right back where he had his limitations.

Quite a role call of players who featured at RB for long portions of MON's tenure here....Mellberg, Craig Gardner, Reo-Coker, Milner and Cuellar. Luke Young who we signed to play RB one season played 10 games there and then shifted him to left back because Shorey was so poor.

Dunne was amazing for most of 09/10 but that was sort of signing that summed up MON's time, short term benefit but long term another player who's performances rapidly declined but we were stuck with him on high wages and couldn't shift.

10 hours ago, Spoony said:

I think people might be misremembering this a bit? I remember at the time there being a huuuuge number of fans being pissed at Cahill being sold. Even if it is the case that he wasn’t ready for what we wanted to be he sure as shit was better than Knight.

That was just one of his many many crimes as Villa manager. 

At the time he was sold he really wasn't. 

I was very disappointed, we all knew he was highly rated but as he said he wanted regular first team football. 

There's a reason it was Bolton who signed him and there's a reason he was there for 4 years. 

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Cahill left in 2008 and we were nowhere near top 4. Davies, Knight, Dunne, Cuellar (he was shit😂) and Collins were all signed by MON

Thats about 30 million on centre backs in 3 years and lost Cahill for peanuts....same for Davis we never sighed better midfielders

We were 6th. Challenging for those top 4 places. 

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Bullshit and you know it. Agbonlahor scored more than any Arsenal player that season and Arsenal spent about 25 million less than us that summer

They signed Arshavin we signed MON hero Heskey as our highest paid player

But look at the years and years of investment arsenal had before us. 

Seriously look at how many years of spending it took spurs and City to actually do it. 

I really don't get why it was a realistic expectation to go from 16th to 4th in less than 4 years. A few years of heavy spending doesn't make up for the decades of investment those big clubs had. 

59 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think MON was very hot and miss in the transfer market. Successes downing milner young Carew 

Failures heskey harewood kibght shorey

I wouldnt put cuellar there he was actually decent i thought

Knight was a better signing than Cuellar. The only Spanish footballer at the time with zero technique. His throw ins were embarrassing too

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Knight was a better signing than Cuellar. The only Spanish footballer at the time with zero technique. His throw ins were embarrassing too

I thought knight was very very limited. He made a lot of mistakes and was very clumsy.  I think when cuellar was played on the right he wasnt good at cb he was much better. With the throws thats the managers fault take him off throw ons!

Some selective memory  quotes the success of Milner /Downing and Young which they were but he brought so much utter rubbish on high wages which they sat on until they left for free which is part caused us to tighten up the money so much. I'd like him to explain how majority of his signings where 1) Uk Based 2)Generally has an ok season recently .Wasn't the story that he asked Sidwell if Shorey was any good then signed him...

I'm not surprised he regrets leaving  , he did nothing elsewhere.The era of a good motivator on the side-lines came to an end you needed actual tactics and a solid transfer policy which he lacked 

He gave us some good times but then and now my feeling is a better manager with the resources he had would of done better.

It's all well and good talking about Cahill going on and doing well, but at the time he wasn't good enough and he went to Bolton from us. Playing week in week out obviously improved him dramatically, but he wasn't going to get the time here.

3 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

It's all well and good talking about Cahill going on and doing well, but at the time he wasn't good enough and he went to Bolton from us. Playing week in week out obviously improved him dramatically, but he wasn't going to get the time here.

Over Zat Knight who was not some raw prospect 

Cahill also had a brilliant loan spell at Burnley

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

Â