Martin O'Neill

maqroll

50 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He must be exhausted as it seems he is doing about 2 podcasts a day trying to sell his book

Only listened to the Kendrick one and when he popped up on Talksport this week. I assume he's saying the same stuff in all of them e.g. endless Clough ancedotes.

I'd love someone to actually ask him why he played all of Reo-Coker, Mellberg, Cuellar, Craig Gardner and even Milner at RB instead of the actual RBs we had at the club but guess he'd walk out of the interview if anyone dared bring that up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Only listened to the Kendrick one and when he popped up on Talksport this week. I assume he's saying the same stuff in all of them e.g. endless Clough ancedotes.

I'd love someone to actually ask him why he played all of Reo-Coker, Mellberg, Cuellar, Craig Gardner and even Milner at RB instead of the actual RBs we had at the club but guess he'd walk out of the interview if anyone dared bring that up.

I refuse to click on them but he is on the Paul McGrath podcast and the Foster podcast today

He will get an easy ride so no point listening to them

• Like 1

Heard him on WM two days ago, saying how he first met Herbert and he was wearing full tennis gear.

Then said he'd been called "Deadly Doug" because he was always firing managers.

Couldn't even get that right.

4 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Heard him on WM two days ago, saying how he first met Herbert and he was wearing full tennis gear.

Then said he'd been called "Deadly Doug" because he was always firing managers.

Couldn't even get that right.

Yeah, something fishy about that story.

• Haha 1

On 17/11/2022 at 20:19, VillaChris said:

I have PTSD remembering this.

• 4 weeks later...

In hindsight going to Celtic was the wrong career move. Beforehand he was seen as a young and up coming manager. At Celtic I think he started to believe his own hype and became a legend in his own lunchtime in a 2 horse league, with Rangers already on the decline. He stopped developing as a manager and when he came to Villa he felt he should be treated as Clough's lovechild when in fact he was miles away from that.

10 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

In hindsight going to Celtic was the wrong career move. Beforehand he was seen as a young and up coming manager. At Celtic I think he started to believe his own hype and became a legend in his own lunchtime in a 2 horse league, with Rangers already on the decline. He stopped developing as a manager and when he came to Villa he felt he should be treated as Clough's lovechild when in fact he was miles away from that.

He did get Celtic to the Europa League final, beating some good sides on the way, including Liverpool, Stuttgart and Celta Vigo. He lost the final in extra time to Jose Mourinho’s Porto (who won the Champions League the year after). 

That’s is a pretty good achievement for a manager. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

And yet delivered us regular European football (okay we blew most of the chances in the qualifying stages but still) and had us on the brink of being the club to break the (at the time) established top 4.

He may well have had delusions beyond his stature, I don’t know, I don’t know the man personally to make that judgement but for all the other factors (walking out on us, signing too many average players for above average fees and wages etc etc), the fact is that he’s been easily our best performing manager of the past 25 years or so.

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

And yet delivered us regular European football (okay we blew most of the chances in the qualifying stages but still) and had us on the brink of being the club to break the (at the time) established top 4.

He may well have had delusions beyond his stature, I don’t know, I don’t know the man personally to make that judgement but for all the other factors (walking out on us, signing too many average players for above average fees and wages etc etc), the fact is that he’s been easily our best performing manager of the past 25 years or so.

He had a massive budget and it was our chance to join the elite which we blew it. He did barely more than what John Gregory did at Villa but with a better press coverage. In fact Gregory actually had a better win percentage.

He did a decent job but it could have been more. What I was trying to say earlier is that he wasn't really pushed at Celtic and did not change his tactics at all in his entire managerial career. Which was basically 4-4-2 with a solid defence,  two good centre mids,  proper wingers and a big man and quick striker playing off him. Even by the mid 2000's this was going out of fashion. The true greats of management can adapt and change, which he failed to do imo.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Going to Celtic didn't do Brendan Rodgers any harm after poor end to his Liverpool spell.

Good point was made in the months MON left us. If he'd hung around another two years and kept us around 6th/7th he'd have been massively in the shake up for Man. United job given Moyes got it on a very similar record and Ferguson had plenty of respect for MON from interviews so I get the feeling he'd have recommended him aswell and left it up to the board to decide. But O'Neill then getting sacked at Sunderland ended all hopes he had of another top job.

13 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Pure cringe

Nah, it was correct of him to leave.

Lerner turned off the tap and had no ambitions for the club left.

As ridiculous as it sounds it was an absolute necessity to get relegated in order for the club to move forward.

34 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Nah, it was correct of him to leave.

Lerner turned off the tap and had no ambitions for the club left.

As ridiculous as it sounds it was an absolute necessity to get relegated in order for the club to move forward.

MON wasted alot of money so its not all lerners fault

Â