Martin O'Neill

maqroll

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Imagine had we signed Bent years earlier than Heskey since he was averse to Falcao 

I always wondered why we didn't go for Defore in that period, he joined Portsmouth from Spurs in Jan 2008. Perhaps he wasn't O'Neill's type of forward but he'd have done really well here imo.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I always wondered why we didn't go for Defore in that period, he joined Portsmouth from Spurs in Jan 2008. Perhaps he wasn't O'Neill's type of forward but he'd have done really well here imo.

Harry and his dodgy dealings maybe. 

On 13/11/2022 at 07:19, DCJonah said:

At the time he was sold he really wasn't. 

I was very disappointed, we all knew he was highly rated but as he said he wanted regular first team football. 

There's a reason it was Bolton who signed him and there's a reason he was there for 4 years. 

I believe he saw how Ridgewell and Cahill got destroyed by Man City at Villa Park and that influenced him in finding alternatives. always seem to remember Gabby giving Cahill a tough game when he was at Bolton too. But I accept it was a mistake. He made a few with academy players like Davis and Whittingham but I guess he didnt feel they could take us to the next level. 

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Harewood, Sutton, Carew and Heskey

Defoe really does not fit the mould

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Did we make any profits from any of his signings? Stretching my head on my lunch break trying to remember without looking it up 

Milner I would guess. But not much springs to mind.

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

I had no idea Lerner was at the Moscow game too until I started reading up on it. The arrogance of MON to not even have a full bench of players either that night. 

In fairness to the side put out in that game we actually played well.

25 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Ashley Young bought for 13 M sold for 18 M.

Downing bought for 13 M sold for 22 M.

Any time his horrendous transfer business is brought up those are the two he mentions, ignoring the myriad of flops and over paid squad fillers. 

13 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Any time his horrendous transfer business is brought up those are the two he mentions, ignoring the myriad of flops and over paid squad fillers. 

I think we made about 10 million back on all the defenders he signed combined. Thats not profit😂

His biggest weakness is he didn't plan for anything beyond the next match or two, like building something sustainable wasn't in his remit, including using the squad properly or bringing youth players through.  I'm not surprised he didn't achieve anything after us.

• Like 1

Â