Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Thank you very, very much for sharing @Shomin Geki

I’m back in a very dark place, as the overwhelming size of what she’s done to me and our family is beginning to sink in.  

Sorry to read all this bud. From talking to you in the gym thread I know you like working out. It always works wonders for me in helping me process things. Go get an hour or two in, put your phone on airplane mode to ignore everything and just focus on the weights for a bit. It'll help you to release some of the tension and stress. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot has already been said in here so I'll be brief on my thoughts. 

First, know that whilst none of us know you in real life we are all here offering support in any way we can. 

Second, you already know that this sucks. But remember that it will get better in time. Whatever happens and whatever you decide to do in time things will be good again. 

Third, you're not alone in being cheated on and it doesn't make you less of a man. It can happen to anyone and my ex cheated on me (long time ago). 

Fourth, only you can decide what you want to do. Don't be pressured into anything that ultimately doesn't work for you. It will not work well long term. Whatever you choose, if it's your choice, you can make it work. 

Lastly, as a child of divorce, if you're choosing something for your kids just make sure that you are choosing what's best for them and not what's actually best for you. My Dad stayed with my Mum for an extra 20 years after they first nearly split up. That included a bandaid baby and he then only stayed until she was 16. Honestly, I wish he hadn't. It was a toxic environment and I could tell something was wrong. Nobody was actually happy and me and  my siblings all have some issues because of it. If he'd actually left it would have been a clean break and given everyone a chance to move on and for my folks to actually mend their relationship. If I split from my wife it would be awful not seeing my son everyday but I think it would be worse for him to grow up in a house with 2 parents not getting along. 

But everyone is different and you need to figure out what works best for you all. I really don't envy you but will happily talk things through if I can help. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@El Zen I know you mentioned it a few times before, but please don't think of it as 'abandoning' your child if you do decide you can't continue as a couple. You'll always be there for your kids and I'm sure you'll fight to see them regularly if it does come to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, El Zen said:

I’m not sure how smart it was, but we just had sex. Pretty good sex too. 

Nice to see I could feel desire for her, at least. 

It was smart. But you need to sit down and talk things through. And it will still take a long time. 

One the one hand you don't want her thinking "Oh, that was easy, I got away with it, means I could do it again, and he'll tolerate it". 

On the other hand you don't want to be that guy who spends the next twenty years using it as a stick to beat her with. 

You have a responsibility to your kids, you have to work out a way of moving forward. Won't be easy, but you both have to try. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

On the other hand you don't want to be that guy who spends the next twenty years using it as a stick to beat her with.

Yep, much easier to beat someone with a real stick.

• Haha 1

One thing is, whatever you do, never let the male pride get in the way of any decision. If you feel you want to try again, do it. Dont let that little voice keep telling you "how dare she do this to me".  It's like telling your friends "I binned her off", trying to be cool, an pretending to feel good about it, when inside you'll be thinking, "what have I done". Make it your own decision when you feel the time is right.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, El Zen said:

Sorry to run play-by-play, but I’m finding it therapeutic. 

I’ve come home to be here when my son comes home from school. 

I’m offering her civility and cooperation, and an open mind but with a slightly pessimistic gut feeling, she’s looking for a commitment because of the pregnancy. We have therapy on Friday. I hope that helps. 

Don't be rushed into making a decision that will affect not only the rest of your life but also hers and both of the kids. You risk making the wrong decision that way. Deep down she'll know this too. 

Make the right decision not the quick/easy one. 

Hopefully Friday's session helps you make that but if you need longer then take it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

It’s going to take a very, very long time to figure out how this is going to be. 

I am desparately hurt by her actions and betrayal, relieved to finally know the truth, opening my mind to imagining a life without her is both liberating and scary at the same time, actually talking to those closest to me about a burden that’s been weighing on me forever is cathartic and is helping me see that I don’t need to be strong all the time. 

Part of me feels this is never going to work, and that making that decision will probably help me get over the pain a lot quicker. The idea is both extremely comforting and sad at the same time. 

At the same time, in dealing with this, we seem to be reconnecting at a level we probably abandoned a long time ago, before any of this. Which is confusing, but extremely powerful. Our shared love for our son and shared devotion to make his life as wonderful as possible, is a tremendously strong bond, and while I’m not going to stay with her to protect my son from the pain of seeing his parents split, the joy I get from doing things together as a family is something I know I’d miss if we do eventually split up. 

We’re communicating well now. I’m confident we’ll be able to cooperate well and be friends, no matter what. I’m confident my son will be okay, no matter what. 

My entire adult life, since I was 22, has been with her. She, and for the past seven years our son, has been my number one priority for 12 years. I don’t know how to live a grown up life without her. I don’t know if I’d be happier or not without her. I have nothing to compare it to. I need to somehow be able to learn what that life would look like before I can truly know what I want. 

With professional help, with support from my family, and - yes - also from my wife, I will figure this out someday. And my life will be okay after I do. 

I appreciate all of your support over the past few days. Just being able to write down my thoughts somewhere where people would read them and sympathise with me has been comforting and therapeutic. I’ve probably overshared and said more than I should, but it has felt necessary. Thank you for taking it seriously and for responding in earnest and with sincere care. 

Take all the time you need. 

However, remember that decisions aren't necessarily cast in stone and there's always a chance that you could either split up or get back together in the future. 

Just try and look on the bright side. With the rate of responses you're currently getting you'll be a Grandmaster in no time! 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

While no decision has been made, and me very much still in total emotional limbo, I have to begin facing the realities of divorce being an option. Perhaps, for the sake of my own emotional well being, it’s the likely option. 

The idea is absolutely terrifying. 

a) Not seeing my son every day is almost unthinkable. 
b) Our marriage, our project, feels incomplete. We were supposed to have two children, my son was supposed to have a sibling. We had lots of things we wanted to do together as a family. I still love spending time together, the three of us.
c) I haven’t been single since I was 22 years old. I literally have no idea what it’s like to live alone. 

So, wise friends of VT, how does one deal with that? Do you ever get over the pain of missing chunks of your child’s life? Do you ever get over the pain of losing what you thought was the love of your life? How the f*** does one get divorced and survive? I know people do it all the time, and they seem to be okay, but jeez, the thought just fills me with utter dread. 

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, El Zen said:

While no decision has been made, and me very much still in total emotional limbo, I have to begin facing the realities of divorce being an option. Perhaps, for the sake of my own emotional well being, it’s the likely option. 

b) Our marriage, our project, feels incomplete. We were supposed to have two children, my son was supposed to have a sibling. We had lots of things we wanted to do together as a family. I still love spending time together, the three of us.
c) I haven’t been single since I was 22 years old. I literally have no idea what it’s like to live alone. 

So, wise friends of VT, how does one deal with that? Do you ever get over the pain of missing chunks of your child’s life? Do you ever get over the pain of losing what you thought was the love of your life? How the f*** does one get divorced and survive? I know people do it all the time, and they seem to be okay, but jeez, the thought just fills me with utter dread. 

Not been through this myself so can't really offer any advice (apart from what I've said previously having been a child of divorce). I can say I sympathise as it sounds awful and picturing going through it myself is not pleasant. 

Try and remember you've got loads of people on here routing for you. 

I've seen friends/colleagues in similar situations have fun with 'online dating' and some ridiculously attractive girls in their early 20s so at least you may have that to look forward to. 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

No idea, but I know a single man in his 40s and he's absolutely pitiful.

He drives around local villages on his Todd, has no friends, no garden, saves up money he never intends to spend and lives like an absolute scrote.

@Xela, tell him what its like being a human tragedy. :thumb:

Least you never made fun of my waistline. 

Now leave me alone while I think of ways not to spend my money. 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, El Zen said:

Advice is still the same as it was three weeks ago. Get rid, move on **** her off. Agree access regarding your beautiful child and work around it and start giving you some you time to heal, Being on your own can give you time to reflect and Is most certainly not to be scared of . Post back in 4 to 6 weeks  and if it  not loads better i Will be truly amazed. Stop being her victim , you seem far better than that 

Edited by Follyfoot

3 minutes ago, El Zen said:

It’s done. We’re separating. Just a matter of finding a place for her, telling our son (just the thought makes me sick) and doing the paperwork. It’ll take some time to get it all done, but it’s happening. 

It was inevitable, and a relief to a degree, but I feel absolutely devastated. We spent all evening yesterday just crying together. **** me, this sucks. 

Either way, I'm happy you made A decision. Lingering is probably not healthy. Good luck with all the practical stuff and your inevitable incoming happy days again. :cheers:🇸🇪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, El Zen said:

It’s done. We’re separating. Just a matter of finding a place for her, telling our son (just the thought makes me sick) and doing the paperwork. It’ll take some time to get it all done, but it’s happening. 

It was inevitable, and a relief to a degree, but I feel absolutely devastated. We spent all evening yesterday just crying together. **** me, this sucks. 

Sorry to hear that bud. At least you can start moving on now though and who knows what the future holds. Having seen the resentment and bitterness between my folks before they split y Dad stuck around for 10 odd years when he didn't want to and just for the kids) it sounds like it's for the best from what you've said. 

Good luck with the little one. Try to remember to put him first when you can and not to put him in the middle of anything negative. 

We're here for you in anyway we can. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Find time to go and talk to a professional. Just 5 sessions or so should help you get your head around it.

• Like 1

Â