The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

How can you say McLeish has matched what Houllier achieved?

Thats **** easy. Houllier managed Aston Villa for 28 league games and achieved the not so grand total of 33 points. McLeish has managed Aston Villa for 28 games so far and has so far achieved the not so grand total of 33 points.

:lol:

Fair point, well made.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far gutlessness goes McLeish is second to none.

I may be wrong but under houllier didn't we have an awful record when it came to getting something out of the game once we went behind?

And under Mcleish don't we have a pretty decent record of getting something out of the game once we go behind?

I may be wrong but under houllier didn't we have an awful record when it came to getting something out of the game once we went behind?

And under Mcleish don't we have a pretty decent record of getting something out of the game once we go behind?

That's not half the picture though. Our record from getting points from losing positions is ok, but that's mainly because we almost never take the initiative in a game. McLeish is reactive, not pro-active. Countless times this season we've had to go behind before we've actually attacked. Even when we do take the lead we've often been unable to hold it, although that's something that's been a problem at Villa for years.

No, what I was referring to was the way we've approached games. There were some bad games last season but it's been even worse this season when it comes to just not trying.

Yes, but please let's not let facts get in the way of a good moan
You want facts? How about our possession and shots on target stats for many games this season?

I accept that there's going to be some debate over whether we've been more gutless this season than last season, but what can't be debated is that we've been gutless on numerous occasions this season under McLeish.

Thats **** easy. Houllier managed Aston Villa for 28 league games and achieved the not so grand total of 33 points. McLeish has managed Aston Villa for 28 games so far and has so far achieved the not so grand total of 33 points.

i think you are speculating. none of us know how much involvement houllier had during mcalisters reign

the afct of the matter is it the record books will say houllier finished 9th

I think comparing Houllier and McLeish is a bit pointless... it's like looking at two steaming big piles of shit and trying to judge which one smells the nicest.

No the facts are that Houllier was manager for 28 league games. The other 10 league games we were caretaker managed for 5 of them by KMac before Houllier arrived where we took 7 points and for the other 5 the caretaker manager was GMac. Under KMac we took 7 points at 1.4 points a game, GMac 8 points at 1.6 points a game and under Houllier 33 points at 1.17 point a game. The facts will show that in 2010/11 before Houllier arrived we took more points per game and after he was taken ill we took more points per game. You can't give Houllier credit for the 15 points we took in the 10 games he wasn't involved in. For **** sake for half them games and half them points he wasn't even employed by the club.

The bottom line in all this though is that Lerner and Faulkner have made two monumental managerial **** ups on the bounce and we are quite remarkably no better off after getting rid of Houllier. Lets not kid ourselves that just because McLeish has been poor it should excuse the fact that we were also just as poor under Houllier. I actually thought we'd struggle to do as badly as we did under the French clown and then dumb and dumber pull McLeish out of the hat. Would I trust them when we come to appoint our next manager. Would I ****.

No the facts are that Houllier was manager for 28 league games. The other 10 league games we were caretaker managed for 5 of them by KMac before Houllier arrived where we took 7 points and for the other 5 the caretaker manager was GMac. Under KMac we took 7 points at 1.4 points a game, GMac 8 points at 1.6 points a game and under Houllier 33 points at 1.17 point a game. The facts will show that in 2010/11 before Houllier arrived we took more points per game and after he was taken ill we took more points per game. You can't give Houllier credit for the 15 points we took in the 10 games he wasn't involved in. For **** sake for half them games and half them points he wasn't even employed by the club.

The bottom line in all this though is that Lerner and Faulkner have made two monumental managerial **** ups on the bounce and we are quite remarkably no better off after getting rid of Houllier. Lets not kid ourselves that just because McLeish has been poor it should excuse the fact that we were also just as poor under Houllier. I actually thought we'd struggle to do as badly as we did under the French clown and then dumb and dumber pull McLeish out of the hat. Would I trust them when we come to appoint our next manager. Would I ****.

And couple that with the fact that they paid 12m for the priviledge of all these management choices. Plus they seem to have signed Ireland on a monumental wage whilst we were managerless just to pull in the Milner fee.

I wouldn't trust RL or PF to run a bath!!

I think comparing Houllier and McLeish is a bit pointless... it's like looking at two steaming big piles of shit and trying to judge which one smells the nicest.

The french one, with a slightly oniony aroma. I would hate to think what a haggis/cheesey pasta/irn bru based shit smells like.

(Apologises for racial stereotyping)

That's not half the picture though. Our record from getting points from losing positions is ok, but that's mainly because we almost never take the initiative in a game. McLeish is reactive, not pro-active. Countless times this season we've had to go behind before we've actually attacked. Even when we do take the lead we've often been unable to hold it, although that's something that's been a problem at Villa for years.

No, what I was referring to was the way we've approached games. There were some bad games last season but it's been even worse this season when it comes to just not trying.

Yes, but please let's not let facts get in the way of a good moan
You want facts? How about our possession and shots on target stats for many games this season?

I accept that there's going to be some debate over whether we've been more gutless this season than last season, but what can't be debated is that we've been gutless on numerous occasions this season under McLeish.

We haven't seen anything of the level of Blackburn away, Wolves and Sunderland home etc. against teams not in the top 6. Absolutely gutless those performances and they were all too common last season.

Arguing about who is the worst out of Houllier and McLeish is a bit like choosing between a kick in the bollocks and a kick in the bollocks. The appointment of both has been a kick in the bollocks.

That's so **** wrong I can't believe you're even trying to use this as facts against GH.

First of mall you neglect the fact that Houllier never had a pre season. But that's quite logical with the rest of your statements as you seem to think that it doesn't matter that much to get a good pre season as you seem to think that Gmac didn't have any benefit from being the caretaker of Houlliers squad. Do you think Gmac came in and said "Well boys, now the old man is gone for a while we're gonna do it in a very different way. Forget everything he's said about tactics, now I'm the one who rules. We're gonna play my way, and it's very different to his way."? Of course he didn't.

Yeah, we had some gutless games under Houllier, no doubt about that. The difference between Houllier and AML, except for the style of playing, is that we could see lots of improvement the longer the last season went, whilst this one doesn't show much of that. After Bent arrived we were one of the top 6 teams in gaining points, IIRC.

I for one wished he could've carried on as I thought we'd get better again under him. Now we'll never know, and that's a fact.

That's so **** wrong I can't believe you're even trying to use this as facts against GH.

First of mall you neglect the fact that Houllier never had a pre season. But that's quite logical with the rest of your statements as you seem to think that it doesn't matter that much to get a good pre season as you seem to think that Gmac didn't have any benefit from being the caretaker of Houlliers squad. Do you think Gmac came in and said "Well boys, now the old man is gone for a while we're gonna do it in a very different way. Forget everything he's said about tactics, now I'm the one who rules. We're gonna play my way, and it's very different to his way."? Of course he didn't.

Yeah, we had some gutless games under Houllier, no doubt about that. The difference between Houllier and AML, except for the style of playing, is that we could see lots of improvement the longer the last season went, whilst this one doesn't show much of that. After Bent arrived we were one of the top 6 teams in gaining points, IIRC.

I for one wished he could've carried on as I thought we'd get better again under him. Now we'll never know, and that's a fact.

That's the problem when people try to beat you over the head with statistics taken out of context.

I could prove that MON was the worst manager in the history of football based on games lost ifrom winning positions before the other team had a man sent off, when in actual fact he was just a overhyped cnu7 that won nothing

All I can say is,look at where we are now,compare that to where we used to be,and ask yourself, who put us there. :bang:

Randy allowing MON to spunk loads of money away?

MON for spunking loads of money on shite.

That's why were where we are. It's not AMC or GH's fault at all.

Or by "where we used to be"... are you referring to '82?

Â