The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Well that does not make sence to me.

All the teams that qualify for europe spend a shitload of money,I cant think of one team that got to europe for **** all,so if you want to finish high enough for europe you HAVE TO spend buckets of $$$

you missed one important fact, we arent allowed to spend buckets of money because we dont have buckets of income

and thats not AMC, GH, MON or randys fault...

Well, I think I might blame randy just a teensy weensy bit for not spotting that as the fundamental flaw in his plan to blast us into the top 4. :winkold:

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There appears to be a problem with the space time continium.............I swear I have been here before! :-)
I expect that's MON's fault as well.

Every other bad thing in the world is, it seems from this thread... :winkold:

Hardly, all I've read is that people stating he spent a shitload of money on average players. Also, that he didnt take the Europa cup seriously.

Both to which are true.

Not really sure what you're on about really.

Apparently he is also responsible for our performance last season and this season, a remarkable achievement considering he wasn't managing the club. :winkold:

There appears to be a problem with the space time continium.............I swear I have been here before! :-)

Hardly, all I've read is that people stating he spent a shitload of money on average players. Also, that he didnt take the Europa cup seriously.

Both to which are true.

Not really sure what you're on about really.

Apparently he is also responsible for our performance last season and this season, a remarkable achievement considering he wasn't managing the club. :winkold:

Well he's partly responsible for the lack of funding at the club, which has impacted the money we've been able to spend on money/wages, which has a direct link to how we perform on the pitch. So in that sense, he has a role in why we're no longer challenging for Europe.

Though, forgetting that MON ever existed, we should be doing much better then we are this season with AMC in charge. He is solely responsible for some terrible performances this season. MON can be blamed for us not doing well, but he cant be blamed for us being so shit. If that makes sense.

[Yeah, we had some gutless games under Houllier, no doubt about that.

We had some? off the top my head Liverpool away, Blackburn away, Man City away ( twice, one we surrendered before a ball had even been kicked ), Sunderland at home, Wolves at home, Arsenal at home, Sha at home. I had the misfortune to be at all those games and it was some of the most gutless tripe I have been served up in my 30 years following this great club.

Your right Houllier didn't have a pre season. What he inherited though was a group of players ( less Milner, plus Ireland and a number of youngsters on the verge of stepping up ) that had just given this club its best 38 game Premiership season points wise, had just finished top 6 for the third time on the bounce ( for the first time since the early 1930,s ) had just been to its first cup final in a decade and had the 4th best defence in the league the previous season. A side on its day capable of giving anyone a game and had the previous season beaten Liverpool at Anfield, Man Utd at Old Trafford and Chelsea at VP. A side that hadn't lost a local derby in years.

What did he proceed to do with the above? have us in and around the relegation mire for 5 months, serving up gutless tripe, losing against all of local rivals in the same season for the first time in donkeys years and he had to spend the best part of 30 mill to dig us out of the crap he had dug us into. No surprise given he was a known cheque book manager.

McLeish has been shite but he has matched Houlliers League record of 33 points from 28 games without Downing and Ash and 30 mill to spend in the Jan transfer window. In fact his transfer budget stands at -22 mill.

As others have said comparing Houllier and McLeish is like comparing two pieces of stinking poo. They both **** stink and the stench of McLeish isn't making Houlliers time smell any sweeter.

I didn't see all those games you mention, but some of them I definitely agree with you. liverpool and citeh, for example. The home derby against sha was boring but not gutless in the same way as AML's surrenders. Tottenham away, manure at home, liverpool again. He just gave those up from the start.

Yes, Young and Downing were still in the side and Milner was the only big name leaving that summer. And Ireland arrived. An Ireland who didn't wanna be here and played about 10 games or something, and he was awfull. Young was good but not as good as he used to be, probably already thinking about leaving. Carew was in decline. Lots of our good players were for one reason or another a lot worse than they were the season before. Some because of Houllier, some for other reasons.

The reason I had higher hopes with Houllier than I have with AML is that we seemed to get better in the spring. A lot better. And of his 4 signings 2 worked out very well, one the judge is still out on for me, and one seemed not to be good enough for the PL. And then there was Pires, and he didn't work out well. But he was a stop gap signing when we were down on numbers.

I don't agree that Houllier was as bad as many on here thinks, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, we're going off topic a little bit too much now, perhaps. GH is gone, AML is here, and he ain't working.

Hardly, all I've read is that people stating he spent a shitload of money

His net spend was 80 mill in 4 years wasn't it? a week after he got the boot we then sold Milner for 27 mill ( 20 mill + Ireland ).

The wages at the time of our three sixth place finishes were the 8th, 6th and 6th highest in the league. So a net spend of 80 mill ( or 53mill if you take the Milner money into account ) to take a club that had just finished 16th to one that then finished top six three times on the spin for the first time since the 1930s and competed for 4th until the final handful of games of the season twice and achieved its highest 38 game prem points total improving our points total season on season for 4 years seems pretty reasonable to me.

The fact that we found that finishing sixth with the sixth highest wage bill unsustainable is down to Randy for not getting revenue up to a level that could sustain it.

Hardly, all I've read is that people stating he spent a shitload of money

His net spend was 80 mill in 4 years wasn't it? a week after he got the boot we then sold Milner for 27 mill ( 20 mill + Ireland ).

The wages at the time of our three sixth place finishes were the 8th, 6th and 6th highest in the league. So a net spend of 80 mill ( or 53mill if you take the Milner money into account ) to take a club that had just finished 16th to one that then finished top six three times on the spin for the first time since the 1930s and competed for 4th until the final handful of games of the season twice and achieved its highest 38 game prem points total improving our points total season on season for 4 years seems pretty reasonable to me.

The fact that we found that finishing sixth with the sixth highest wage bill unsustainable is down to Randy for not getting revenue up to a level that could sustain it.

The execs have to make up their mind what they want to do.You don't get a high league position with a low wage bill.Its as simple as that

The execs have to make up their mind what they want to do.You don't get a high league position with a low wage bill.Its as simple as that

Spurs dont have a top four wage bill.

Are you sure ?

Even Man C want to get Adebeyor off their wage bill and players like G.Bale cant be cheap

Are you sure ?

Even Man C want to get Adebeyor off their wage bill and players like G.Bale cant be cheap

I am sure

@ Houlston, where are Aston Villa in the legue table of wage bills currently? Apologies if you have already mentioned it, I cannot be bothered to read back every page. Also what is your source?

PussEKatt wrote:

Houlston wrote:

PussEKatt wrote:

Are you sure ?

I am sure

spurs starting 11also costs more then us in transfer fees

in 2010 their wage bill was 67 while ours was 80, since then we have lost ashley milner and downing to name a few, if anything by now theres will be alot higher than ours considering we only have about 15 senior players and they have a squad of about 40

Are you sure ?

I am sure

the main thing at spurs is that they have a wage cap and have done for a long time. the best thing about spurs is that their wage bill is only 46% of their revenue unlike ourselves who stupidly managed to let wages become 83% of revenue.

Are you sure ?

I am sure

the main thing at spurs is that they have a wage cap and have done for a long time. the best thing about spurs is that their wage bill is only 46% of their revenue unlike ourselves who stupidly managed to let wages become 83% of revenue.

Round and round it goes. Spurs have significantly higher income than us so that helps significantly to keep their wages to revenue ratio lower than ours as well as the wage cap.

I do agree however that it was foolish bordering on reckless for Lerner to let wages get up to 83% of revenue before realising he couldn't sustain the position.

Just wondering what all this has to do with McLeish? There is a separate thread on finances.

Â