The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

Darren Byfield takes up his thirds managerial post in a couple of years.  Following two years at Redditch United and a few months at Stratford Town, he is now managing Walsall Wood FC.

Still, at least he can console himself with the thought he slept with Jamelia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 27/09/2018 at 15:53, rodders0223 said:

I would have Bannan back at Villa but he would have no clearly defined roll, would be playing as some sort of box to box jack of all trades midfielder and would look abysmal.

I wouldn't have him back tbh.  I know he's good for this level but I don't plan on being here too long.  I know you have to build a team to get out of the Championship first, but if we sign him I feel like we'd be settling in for a long stay and resigning ourselves to failure.  If we fail we fail, but I don't want to set out to fail.

• Like 1

Saw Barry Bannan coming out of an early house in Dublin City Centre at 11am. He didn't seem drunk, but I guess it was only 11am.

He's suspended tonight anyways for Sheff Wed, so making the most of it. Good luck to him.

• Like 1

Love this!

STEVE SIDWELL juggles a football on his knees in the back garden of his Surrey mansion as children's clothes hang from a crossbar behind him.

Sound odd? To Sidwell, the only strange part is that he’s kicking a ball around, without pain, just months after struggling to get up in the morning and brush his teeth.

Steve Sidwell has launched a boutique children's clothing line having retired this summer

Former midfielder Sidwell runs the business with his wife Krystell

The couple came up with the idea and launched the business in January

For Sidwell was forced into early retirement this summer at the age of 35, having ended his career by helping Brighton climb into the Premier League for the first time ever.

After two operations on his back, a tearful night with wife Krystell saw the decision made that his playing career would end and the next chapter begin.

“I’m spinning plates,” Sidwell says, as he lists current projects while sitting in his dining room.

“It still feels like the honeymoon period.

"One day I’m doing the business, next day it’s studio work, next day on the radio, and next day coaching.”

The couple came up with the idea and launched the business in January

Blousey Baby produces high-end children's clothes

Over the last couple of days, the former Reading, Chelsea and Fulham midfielder has been a guest on talkSPORT and covered Arsenal’s trip to Craven Cottage.

He is eloquent, knowledgeable and down-to-earth, one of the key reasons Brighton wanted to retain his services as a coach in the Under-16s and appoint him club ambassador.

And then there’s the children's clothes.

“My wife has had a passion for kids clothing, and every time we went to functions the kids looked smart and got compliments thrown our way,” the father-of-four tells SunSport.

Sidwell is juggling business, coaching and media after retiring this summer

Sidwell sat down with SunSport's Tom Roddy to talk about his ventures in retirement

“So it was a case of going for it and starting a children’s boutique with clothing and import ranges at the start with a view to designing clothes.

"We’re taking baby steps at the moment.”

This is not something Sidwell has just thrown money at, though: “My wife turned around and said 'Let’s sell the Bentley'.

“We had money to start the company but she said let’s do this properly, let’s sell the car and that’s the budget.

“We sat down at this table with spreadsheets, pictures, cut-outs from magazines and talked to the kids about what they like to wear, colours.

Blousey Baby was funded after Sidwell's wife sold her car

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/7450333/chelsea-steve-sidwell-bentley/

Alex McLeish conceded Scotland "are going to get a bit of stick" for their abject Nations League defeat in Israel but warned it could have been worse.

McLeish, who criticised the decision to send off John Souttar at 1-1, said his team "have to suffer a bit" after their 2-1 humiliation in Haifa.

The defeat came against a side with just two home wins in four years.

"It's doom and gloom, we lost, we know the consequence of losing, you have to suffer a wee bit for it," McLeish said.

"We're obviously going to get a bit of stick about this and it's up to us to bounce back. That's what normally I would expect from Scottish people."

So glad this rocket polisher isn't our manager anymore

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45831560

15 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

"Let's do this properly, sell the Bentley and that's our budget".

**** off.

'High end' children's clothes. 

Targeting the rich mugs then. 

On 27/09/2018 at 15:53, rodders0223 said:

I would have Bannan back at Villa but he would have no clearly defined roll, would be playing as some sort of box to box jack of all trades midfielder and would look abysmal.

I would take Bannan back - I always felt there was a player in him and couldn't understand why he was criticised  as much as he was - he should have bee given more time to have proven his worth imo 

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

One for the older and even older Villans this but my two boys are currently being coached by Mark Draper and David Norton.

I have on of those 'souvenir' footballs signed by the squad at the time that has Mark Draper's signature on it . "Draper for England" !!!!!

• Like 1

Carles Gil and his reinvention

Respected for the injuries, he assumes prominence in the offensive vertex of the rhombus

He played as an extreme, both on the right and occasionally on the left. He enjoyed minutes as a hook in a system of three midfielders and a striker. Also he went down in some games to the line of means to initiate from there the game of the team in a more offensive approach. But never as before, Carles Gil had offered so much in such a short time. The Valencian footballer continues adapting to the new position that Natxo Gonzalez has assigned him, as the most advanced vertex of his diamond. And the results are good. At the beginning of the season in which the injuries are respecting him, the 10th of Dépor is starring in his particular reinvention to help put Deportivo in the top positions of the table.

In a position that Pedro, Krohn Dehli, Fede Cartabia and Edu Expósito have already played with greater or lesser prominence. But only Carles Gil has managed to settle in it. In Tarragona he participated in the first and second goals and a good performance came together, which still does not leave his coach or himself happy.

"I need to adapt a little more to that position, which requires very specific things. There I have less participation, less capacity to organize, because for that we already have three other midfielders who make the game. And once I assume that lack of prominence, then it is taking little by little the point to the demarcation ", reflects the Valencian footballer.

The point to the demarcation and a greater regularity of game avoiding the injuries, something that has not been achieved since he landed at Deportivo three summers ago.

His ongoing pubic problems seem solved after the surgical intervention he underwent in September of last year. The recovery process was long and difficult. But it seems to have paid off, since he has not had any serious problems since his recovery.

However, that was not enough for him to show his class last season, because after overcoming the injury he found himself facing a Clarence Seedorf who did not convince and who relegated him even beyond the bench: to the stands.

All that seems already history and Carles Gil faces this season with renewed airs. He doubted during the summer whether to stay in Dépor or to seek life beyond Riazor. He bet to stay and is sure that he was right: "I do not usually regret what I do because everything is very easy to do. This year we have very good vibes in the dressing room and, really, I am very happy. I think it can be a good year, " said the Blue and White player.

https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/torremarathon/2018/10/01/carles-gil-reinvencion/00031538423294877389172.htm

Carles Gil Sets the Game

Carles Gil has left behind different muscle injuries, episodes of lack of confidence exacerbated by contentious decisions taken by his different coaches in A Coruña and even some obscure period with Seedorf at the head of Deportivo that the hitter prefers not to remember. All that is already past, now the '10' returns to feel an important player when he puts on the blue and white shirt. His clairvoyance and understanding of the game are fuel for an idea and a system, those of Natxo Gonzalez, who demands thinking before executing. 

The Valencian playmaker accumulates remarkable games in which he has managed to gather his teammates around the ball. He identifies where you can do year, gives to the back of media rivals and tries to create superiorities. It is not a simple task and sometimes it can even be unpleasant. But he's embroidering it. His individual progression in turn explains the growth of Deporitivo, enhanced by the virtues of one of it's most talented footballers. When he shines, the Dépor shines. If Gil doesn't take part, the team gets stuck. Against Elche he again showed lucidity with the ball on the feet and maximum involvement without it.

The 4-3-1-2 rhombus of Natxo forces Carles Gil to work across the board, and his work is often not the most appreciated. He will always wear a goal or an assist to force the opponent to tilt, involve the ends when they threaten to disconnect from the game or facilitate the incorporation of the wide players by holding a couple of seconds the ball. Some ask Gil to release it quickly, but sometimes the fastest is not the most effective. The Dépor rests when Carles keeps the ball and that comfort allows to build better and more elaborate attacks. To arrive before does not mean to arrive better, and the ' 10 ' contributes decisively to maturing the offensive football of the whole Herculino.

If we were to measure their impact on the game, and by extension on the results, it would be fair to emphasize their defensive effort. Natxo demands it and he has taken a step forward in this kind of work. Gil steals and latches on the opponent by commitment and attitude, which is asked of a weak player in the melee, lacking in physical exuberance. When the opponent recovers the ball, in those two or three first fundamental seconds that decide if the opponent will find partners to progress to the middle of the field defended by Deportivo, Gil raises and jams the pivot. It is not always done with the ball, but it does facilitate the recovery of Álex Bergantiños and company. With tuxedo or in the mud, this Carles is the real Carles. A decisive player within the category.

http://eldesmarque.com/coruna/deportivo/noticias/24665-carles-gil-pone-el-juego

Edited by Michael118

Â