The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

Libor Kozak has scored 4 goals from his first 6 matches since returning to the Czech Republic and was elected best player in the Czech League for the month of February.

The Best League Player in February was Kozak

5604361_sport-fotbal-fortuna-liga-25-kol

Libor Kozak the striker of Liberec was elected the best footballer of the highest competition in February.

https://www.idnes.cz/fotbal/prvni-liga/fortuna-liga-hrac-a-trener-mesice-unor-libor-kozak-jozef-weber.A190228_140102_fotbal_vp2

Unwanted by Sparta, Slavia & Pilsen, Liberec Manager Praises Kozak and Predicts his Return to the National Team

March 19, 2019

One of the best attackers in the Czech Republic? According to Liberec coach Zsolt Hornyák, is currently Libor Kozák. "And I think he will be even better," says the Slovan coach. In his jersey, the former Lazio and Aston Villa player has scored four goals from his first 6 games since returning to the Czech Republic.

Can you imagine your team now without Kozak?

I consider Kozak the same leader as Ševčík, who is very difficult to replace. We were looking for a hipster in the summer, Mashike hadn't done it, Pázler hadn't. So came Musa and Kozak. I knew 99 percent that when Libor was healthy, he would be one of our team leaders. He fills it, but on the other hand, I must say that we must not rely on Kozak alone. Of course he is a difference player, we knew about it. I just prayed for him to be healthy and physically prepared. I have to say that Libor is a fantastic kid in the cabin. Maximum professional. I see this dude sitting here one hour before and one hour after training. He has his regime, he knows what he needs. It can be seen that he grew up abroad.

Is he your key player right now?

Sure, everyone sees it. Libor proved it with Sparta. Although he dropped the penalty and it was also a goal when he couldn't fight Costa. However, those who understand football not only at the level of the fan from the stand can see three of the opponents' rivals. How to hold an enormous amount of balloons. We didn't do that before. They believe in personal fights, which we missed a lot. I hope that as Kozak shows his quality, he will pull the other players around him.

Especially in Liberec, who has a young team, right?

Yes. I think Liberec has perhaps the second youngest team in the league. Except for Radim Breite and Roman Potočný, he is one of the oldest in the team. Libor fits with us, is a great help and a good model for the young players. The positive is that he has a very good character.

But you only have him for the summer. Will you try to keep him in Liberec?

Definitely. At the beginning he agreed to help us and we will help him. I think if he doesn't have offers from bigger clubs, even from the Czech ones, then it will be a gentleman's agreement between us and Kozak.

Have you talked about this?

I'm sure we've thrown this topic, but I'm a realist. When he goes on like this, Sparta, Slavia and Pilsen, home top clubs, will certainly reach him. I think none of them has such a player. At least at Tetteh, Skoda and other typologically identical players from top Czech clubs. I do not overlook when I say that Kozak is one of the best Czech invaders. Even for the Czech national team.

Do you think he has representative form?

He has good form, but I think he'll be even better. He missed the pre-season and the confidence from which it comes. I think it is a matter of time before he returns to the national team. He was already in the wider nomination. And the match with Zlín was the best invitation.

https://www.sport.cz/fotbal/synot-liga/clanek/1084993-hrace-jako-kozak-nema-sparta-slavia-ani-plzen-chvali-hornyak-strelce-a-predpovida-mu-navrat-do-reprezentace.html

Very sad news on Brendan Ormesby. After surviving cancer and heart problems - and a stroke in 2013, he has two kinds of epilepsy - and needs 24/7 care. 

• Sad 2

22 hours ago, Zatman said:

blink and you miss him Villa hero Jose Crespo is about to win Greek league title with PAOK who are unbeaten still and also had a points deduction

An astonishing about-turn from his run of five successive relegations or whatever it was. 

On 26/02/2019 at 16:36, Hornso said:

Was startled last night when watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine on my phone, a trailer came up during an ad break for a Norwegian football drama based around a female manager called "Home Ground" and John Carew's face appeared. Looks like he has a major role.

Its a Norwegian remake of "The Manageress" which starred of course the lovely Cherie Lunghi.

I think JC plays the guy who thinks he should have got  the job. 

• Thanks 1

On 03/04/2019 at 08:59, Zatman said:

blink and you miss him Villa hero Jose Crespo is about to win Greek league title with PAOK who are unbeaten still and also had a points deduction

Just read the recent FourFourTwo article about PAOK and he gets a mention (along with Villa) plus a photo in that. That atmosphere sounds like one of the most intimidating in all of football.

4 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

Its a Norwegian remake of "The Manageress" which starred of course the lovely Cherie Lunghi.

I think JC plays the guy who thinks he should have got  the job. 

The Norweigan Paul Ince

I don't know if I have missed this elsewhere in VT but Barry Hole passed away this week. He is possibly too early for many to remember but was a big signing at the time - a Welsh International. Never really fulfilled his promise at Villa but the team were sliding down the leagues at this time (late 60's). A really good player in my opinion  and of course gave rise to the famous " Brown - Arce - Hole" joke  - which actually never happened ! RIP

James Collins (Striker) our ex youth striker  we had before he went to  Shrewsbury  Has just been crowned EFL League 1s player of the season with Luton.

scores goals for fun and is a good striker will be interesting see how he does if Luton get into Championship next season.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

James Collins (Striker) our ex youth striker  we had before he went to  Shrewsbury  Has just been crowned EFL League 1s player of the season with Luton.

scores goals for fun and is a good striker will be interesting see how he does if Luton get into Championship next season.

He's been very prolific for many clubs in league one/two over last 5 years, was really prolific at Shrewsbury and Swindon so could be a new Grant Holt perhaps?

Also called up to ROI squad in last international break.

not players but has been a pretty bad season for ex- managers

MON - sacked by Ireland and probably also by Forest soon for being a dinosaur

Bruce - sacked by us but doing OK though nothing spectacular at Wednesday

Lambert - 2 relegations on the spin

Eck - sacked by Scotland and embarassed in Kazakhstan

Sherwood - has probably been forced into retirement as nobody will hire him. pundit

Garde - missed out on playoffs in MLS, bizarrely linked with a move back to Lyon

potential manager Thierry Henry - disaster at Monaco

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

His thread is closed, but Ashley Westwood has won Burnley's Player of the Season and Players' Player of the Season

A Dean Smith player always showing for the ball in a team of cowards running away from him. He'd be fantastic for us now.

44 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I remember marking him as a future England captain shortly after he made his debut for us......incidentally, never take a betting tip from me.

Is that how you got your username?

Â