The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

From the Brum Mail article:

'Swedish goalkeeper Johansson was incredibly highly rated at Villa Park and the club were at odds to lose him in the summer'

I don't understand this sentence. Is it saying we were 'odds on to lose him in the summer', or 'at odds as to whether to lose him in the summer' or something else?

Went for (very) steady 40 miles on bike yesterday. Came back through the lanes near a place called Longdon Green - sort of between Lichfield and Rugeley. Saw geezer jogging towards me and nodded , as you do to other cyclists/runners. As soon as I'd gone past, I realised it was Kevin Phillips !! Still looks really fit and could turn out for Villa tomorrow. Probably do better than most of the current lot too !!!

Was startled last night when watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine on my phone, a trailer came up during an ad break for a Norwegian football drama based around a female manager called "Home Ground" and John Carew's face appeared. Looks like he has a major role.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He could have been good, had all the attributes except for application and aspiration or so it seems. 

I agree. Excellent at youth level and showed real promise in 2008/09 season, bagging a couple in Europe including a nice volley from around the edge of the box. Clearly had the same sort of syndrome that the Moore brothers had, made financially comfortable at a very young age, thought he was a big time Charlie and lacked the required desire to succeed at a high level.

Â