The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

My paper this morning had news of JLloyd Samuel, as part of a general article about English players flourishing abroad:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/04/charlie-i-anson-elche-englishman-la-liga

Jlloyd Samuel – Esteghlal

Former Aston Villa, Cardiff and Bolton defender found a home at the Tehran club and has embraced the Iran way of football. Which has featured sacrificing a sheep for good luck in front of 100,000 fans after losing a game. Won the league title in his second season at the club.

Edited by briny_ear

Ex Villa legend, Simon Dawkins continues to show the form that made Villa fans love him as much as they did.

Largely anonymous for Derby against an admittedly strong Chelsea.

has played well in Championship and a big part in their great form. not really surprised as the one or 2 games i saw last season i thought he had potential for our team

• Like 1

Ex Villa legend, Simon Dawkins continues to show the form that made Villa fans love him as much as they did.

Largely anonymous for Derby against an admittedly strong Chelsea.

They want to buy him this January seemingly.  He has done well there.  Scored a few goals too IIRC.

My paper this morning had news of JLloyd Samuel, as part of a general article about English players flourishing abroad:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/04/charlie-i-anson-elche-englishman-la-liga

Jlloyd Samuel – Esteghlal

Former Aston Villa, Cardiff and Bolton defender found a home at the Tehran club and has embraced the Iran way of football. Which has featured sacrificing a sheep for good luck in front of 100,000 fans after losing a game. Won the league title in his second season at the club.

That's pretty cool actually. 

I recon if I was a PRO footballer but couldn't cut it at the very top I would just travel the world living a couple of years at a time on different continents having all these cool experiences :P

John Carew was a bit like that but was a better player obviously. 

• 3 weeks later...

I watched Marlon Harewood against my local club AFC Wimbledon this week. Our defender Will Antwi, after being b*llocked by Simon Bassey (First Team Coach), had him in his back pocket until he was subbed. Perhaps the best thing was Hartlepool arriving. Every other player wore a suit as Harewood was sporting a tracksuit and some big headphones. He's still a tank though. 

How good was James Collins on Saturday. He won absolutely everything in the air. He is the key reason why West Ham have kept more clean sheets this season then any other team. I know he got criticised for his big hoof, but with him and Vlaar together that would of been an awesome centre back partnership.

How good was James Collins on Saturday. He won absolutely everything in the air. He is the key reason why West Ham have kept more clean sheets this season then any other team. I know he got criticised for his big hoof, but with him and Vlaar together that would of been an awesome centre back partnership.

Agreed. I always liked Big Red

Â