The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

A tremendous affinity with the fans.

59018.jpgOlof-Mellberg-Petad-eller-Sjuk-Startelvo

I always had the impression he played for us and knew we kicked every ball along with him.

Liverpool+v+Aston+Villa+Premier+League+V

Thank you, Olof Mellberg.

You played with skill, courage and conviction and always seemed proud to wear our shirt.

• Like 1

yeah a great professional and played with heart and soul and never complained when he was played at right back for Zat Knight :D. Could have done with him in last few seasons as watching defenders like Baker, Cuellar, Clark have really shown how good he was.

That gesture at West Ham while obviously nothing financially to him was still a wonderful gesture, doubt many other players would have done it

"Olof had a winner mentality like no other."

Zlatan's quote from above is very true. I worked with a woman who played in the same tennis club as Mellberg when they were younger. He was apparently terrible when he lost but she was at the same time convinced that it was this mentality that made him successful.

I feel that the praise is so over the top it's almost like he is taking the piss a bit. But everyone is entitled to their own interpretation.

Zlatan legitimately loves him some Olof. He bought the house next door to him a few years ago IIRC just so they could hang out more often.

Edited by ArteSuave

Mellberg was a good defender, but thats all he was. But of course he played with his heart on his sleeve and always gave his all which is why the fans loved him. But in terms of quality he was good, nothing more.

Â