The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

http://www.thisistamworth.co.uk/story-17951099-detail/story.html?

TAMWORTH have always had a strong affiliation with the name of Hendrie.

Dad Paul was a long-serving manager of the Lambs and can still be found cheering on the team from the stands when he can.

1. 4507853.jpg

Lee Hendrie, Stuart Hendrie and Paul Hendrie at the Lamb in the past.

Son Stuart, who also played for Atherstone, joined the club two seasons ago, playing under Des Lyttle, during a loan spell from Football League side Morecambe.

Now with former Aston Villa and England man Lee plying his trade at Tamworth since the summer – and Stuart rejoining the club this week – the brothers will be reunited in the red of Tamworth.

Stuart, who has joined the club after a spell at Redditch United said there were other reasons to begin with why he joined the Lambs. "I pretty much grew up here to be honest," he said. "I was a youth team player here and have been coming to the club since I was little.

"My dad was manager here as well and it is local so it was a perfect fit. "I have also played under Dale (Belford) before at Atherstone and know him as a manager. "It all came together."

But to top it all off the move gave Stuart the chance to reunite with his brother Lee.

The pair first played together at the back end of last season as they helped Redditch enjoy a fine end to their campaign.

Now it is time for them to link up again.

"It was brilliant at Redditch," Stuart said. "We only played about four games together but he really pushed me in that time.

"It was a good experience for me and I hope to repeat it here.

"There is a ten-year age gap between us so we didn't really get a chance to play football together when we were little.

"First at Redditch – and now here – we are getting that chance now and I hope we make the most of it."

After playing for Aston Villa in the Premier League and also turning out for England at Wembley, brother Lee has had a career full of memories already.

Now, at the age of 35, he is getting the chance to add to those by turning out with his brother at his local team.

Lee is determined not to make it a easy ride for either of them, though.

He said: "I am glad Belfs has given him a chance here.

"He has been playing here, there and everywhere of late trying to get himself fit but he knows, like I know, he is better than the level he has played at of late.

"If he wasn't he would not have gone to Morecambe and played quite a few games there. "I would love to see him get back up to that kind of level, I think that is where he should be playing – in the Football League.

"To help him do that I kind of see myself now doing things with Stuart that dad used to do with me. I have taken my dad's role. "I am constantly at him trying to get him to improve when we are out there.

"I am on his case all the time, or sitting him down and talking to him about it. "I am not saying it worked because of that at Redditch, but he was a different player there.

"He is only a young kid and needs encouragement as well as advice and I am hoping to give him both."

With both Lee and Stuart now playing for Tamworth on the pitch, Lee added he fully expected to see dad Paul off it in the coming weeks.

He said: "Dad is a Tamworth fan, he was coming down here to watch games even before I signed. "I know he has been to a few since I did join but I think with the two of us here he will be down a lot.

"Hopefully with the games he does come to watch we can put on a few good performances and Stu can go and bang a few goals in to add to that." For Stuart, that would suit him just fine.

"I want to score a few goals here and help the team move up the table," he said.

"I want to push on personally at the same time. "My aim is to give it my all for Tamworth and hopefully one day make it back into the Football League."

I know this happened the other day but never saw anything mentioned on here but the legend that is Mr. Peter Withe, has become one of the Legends on BBC WM for the Franksy football phone in.

Will be interesting to hear his opinion always love it when Colin Gibson or Steve Froggatt is on there!

This is it. The big year. Back at the tail end of 2010 one bold VT'er claimed this once in a generation player will play for England within 3 years. Well, this is the hour... cometh the man?sm_1346096262_0.jpg

Things are looking up for Ethan, well they were in August and December apparently.

Currently played 18, scored 20 in the league. This is his record over the season, sign him up!

Edited by AndyClarke

• 4 weeks later...
Â