The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a quick chat with Martin Laursen last night, he said he's still working on tv and doing some coaching, I asked if there's any chance he could bring his boots next time he's over. He said 'you never know' when I asked if he might come back and coach at Villa.

United fans i know dont rate Young and think he was a waste of money

Bollocks.

Either the United fans you know are idiots (which is quite likely to be fair) or you're exaggerrating

Former England star???

Son of footballer Trevor Francis charged with breaking into mansion of former England star Lee Hendrie

By LEON WATSON

Last updated at 12:11 PM on 5th December 2011

The son of the world's first £1million footballer Trevor Francis has been charged with burglary after a break-in at a mansion owned by former England star Lee Hendrie.

James Francis, 24, has been accused of breaking into a cottage in the grounds of a £1.7million property in Warwickshire belonging to the wealthy midfielder.

Francis, from Solihull, was charged with one count of burglary (other than from a dwelling) following the alleged offence, which is understood to have taken place in July.

Break-in: Footballer Lee Hendrie's home was allegedly broken in to by James Francis, the son of the world first £1m footballer Trevor Francis, right

Finwood Lawn, the £1.7million property in Rowington, Warwickshire, which is owned by former England footballer Lee Hendrie

It is alleged the former semi-professional footballer broke into one of the two cottages on site when it was apparently being used as a storeroom.

Mr Hendrie was not at the property when the alleged incident took place.

More...

Bothams offer £5,000 reward to find dog stolen from outside cricket legend's home

Police tackling nationwide riots had to use their mobiles when radios failed, leaked report reveals

Francis was later arrested by West Midlands Police and appeared before Leamington Magistrates' Court on November 16.

The 24-year-old is scheduled to appear at the same court on January 11 for a committal hearing.

He is the son of legendary footballer Trevor who, in 1979, became the game's first £1million player when he left Birmingham City for Nottingham Forest.

Mr Hendrie bought the sprawling property in the leafy Midlands village of Rowington in 2006 for £1.6million.

Lee Hendrie made his international debut as a substitute in a friendly against the Czech Republic at Wembley

The gated property boasts six bedrooms, five bathrooms, an indoor swimming pool and a 'magnificent, stunning, open-plan contemporary area' which includes a lounge, dining room and sitting room with oak stair case.

Mr Hendrie, who currently plays for Kidderminster, made his name at Aston Villa, playing more than 250 times for the Midlands club between 1995 and 2007.

He helped Villa to two League Cup trophies and picked up a single England cap in 1998.

The 34-year-old, whose main home is in Solihull, is currently trying to sell the property, which is set in 3.5 acres with views of Warwickshire's countryside, for £1.7million.

Trevor Francis had an illustrious career for club and country, making 52 appearances for England and scoring 12 goals.

Legend: Trevor Francis, wife Helen and Nottingham Forest manager Brian Clough at the City Ground after Francis became Britain's most expensive player

He became a household name in 1979 when Nottingham Forest boss Brian Clough signed him from his hometown club Birmingham for a then staggering £1million.

The striker went on to play for the likes of Manchester City and Sampdoria with England boss Fabio Capello describing him as the best English player to have played in Serie A.

Vinny Bolina, spokesperson for West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service, confirmed James Francis had been charged with burglary other than from a dwelling.

Had a quick chat with Martin Laursen last night, he said he's still working on tv and doing some coaching, I asked if there's any chance he could bring his boots next time he's over. He said 'you never know' when I asked if he might come back and coach at Villa.

I've no doubt that he wants to someday be Villa manager and his current foray into second division Danish coaching is a step along the path. Who knows perhaps someday we will have a coaching tag team of Laursen and Mellberg.

Considering the attitudes of OLeary, Oneill, Houllier and to a lesser extent, McLeish towards AVFC, it would be nice to have a manager in with some history with the club.
Bring back Gregory!

Would love him back here, if only for the press conferences.

Apparently he was in the stands for the Man Utd game. :detect:

Considering the attitudes of OLeary, Oneill, Houllier and to a lesser extent, McLeish towards AVFC, it would be nice to have a manager in with some history with the club.
Bring back Gregory!

He was but so was Dwight Yorke, who did once say he wanted to be Villa manager, and lets face it, with the board we have that might one day be a scary possibility.

Bring back Gregory!

He was but so was Dwight Yorke, who did once say he wanted to be Villa manager, and lets face it, with the board we have that might one day be a scary possibility.

No more scary than three years of McLeish!

It never stops with Lil Lee

Taxman tried to force ex-Aston Villa star Lee Hendrie into bankruptcy

Dec 11 2011

inShare

FORMER Aston Villa star Lee Hendrie is facing bankruptcy proceedings brought by the taxman.

HM Revenue and Customs has submitted a petition for bankruptcy against the former England international at London’s High Court.

The case, known as a Government creditor’s petition, is due to be heard on January 27.

Last week, in a separate matter, we revealed the son of Blues football legend Trevor Francis had been charged with burglary at a £1.7 million property owned by Hendrie.

James Francis, 24, will appear at court next month, accused of a break-in at a cottage in the grounds of the luxury mansion, Finwood Lawn, set in the leafy village of Rowington, Warwickshire.

The former Villa midfielder, 34, was not at home at the time of the alleged break-in in July. His main home is in Dickens Hill, Solihull.

Hendrie, who once earned £24,000 per week, is currently selling Finwood Lawn for £1.7 million. He paid £1.6 million for the six-bedroom mansion in 2006.

Land Registry records show that Barclays Bank obtained an interim charging order on the property – which can be the first step towards a possible forced sale – at Warwick County Court on August 25.

Finwood Lawn is surrounded by 3.5 acres, with views across the stunning countryside.

The property boasts six bedrooms, five bathrooms, a ‘stunning’ open-plan ground floor, a ‘garden room’, study, laundry, and refurbished cellar bar.

There is also a double barn garage and two self-contained cottages – one of which is believed to have been the target of Mr Francis’ alleged burglary.

Released

Hendrie is a director of six companies, five of which have a good credit rating and one is in liquidation.

After being released by Sheffield United last summer, the former Premier League footballer spoke of his fallen fortunes. He has since signed with Kidderminster Harriers.

Hendrie said last August: “I’ve been waking regularly at 5am and staring at the ceiling, just wondering if I can get back.

“I’ve been training everywhere, running, five-a-sides with my brother and his pals at the local league.

‘‘It’s embarrassing, having to phone up the lads to get them to come out and make up the numbers just so you can have a game. But that’s what it is for me now.

“I went out on my bike this morning, riding into Solihull and back home. It’s easily 10 miles, if not more. I was keeping my head down. I was waiting for the beeps. I didn’t want anyone to see and think ‘There’s Lee Hendrie, let’s give him some stick’.

‘‘But if that’s what I have to do, so be it.”

It is all a far cry from his glory days at Aston Villa.

He played 251 times for the club between 1995 and 2007, scoring 27 goals and helping lift two League Cups.

Hendrie, who earned his only England cap in 1998, was regarded as a fans’ favourite at Villa – but had a chequered past off the pitch.

In 2003, the talented midfielder was hit with a 12-month driving ban for being one-and-half times over the limit.

He was caught after overtaking police on the M40 in Warwickshire, as he set off for a game of golf with friends.

He was also later dumped by his wife Becky, who scratched insults on his £60,000 Porsche after he had allegedly cheated on her.

She later branded him a “drunken womaniser”.

Hendrie was unavailable for comment last night.

Â