Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Sorry to bring up this old shibboleth, but another facet of this Villa era of diminished expectations and a 'losing mentality' is this hoarding impulse.  Maybe Gardener will come good?  Hey Tonev wasn't all that bad right?  We all saw Bennett do that shimmy and neat dribble thing; surely that's more indicative of his ability than the 99% of the time he looks like a confused rat in a hallucinogenic medical trial?

Gardner is a mystery to me.  I am far from an expert but he always seems the epitome of average.  And as we know, 'distinctly average' means not good enough.  One of those players that's a bag full of 'not quites': Not quite quick enough, not quite strong enough, not quite fit enough, not quite commanidng enough... I could go on.

Perhaps it is time to divest of the 'young and hungry' myth all together and acknowledge, like all sensible parents, that our kids aren't anything special.

Well you’ll be glad to know that us genius scouts on VillaTalk said the same about Benteke, Clark, Delph, Cleverly, Downing, Bacuna, Hutton, Sanchez etc.

I am not criticising us Villa fans for this, I’m just pointing out that you shouldn’t judge a player without them receiving a decent run of games in our first team.

I do think Gardner has a chance of making if given game time.

Ryan Mason was wrote off by Spurs fans a year ago and now has an England cap, he’s a year older than Gary so you’d never know.

• Like 1

Well you’ll be glad to know that us genius scouts on VillaTalk said the same about Benteke, Clark, Delph, Cleverly, Downing, Bacuna, Hutton, Sanchez etc.

I am not criticising us Villa fans for this, I’m just pointing out that you shouldn’t judge a player without them receiving a decent run of games in our first team.

Ryan Mason was wrote off by Spurs fans a year ago and now has an England cap, he’s a year older than Gary so you’d never know.

Very valid sir.  Just thinking out loud.  Saying what I see.  And incidentally I AM criticising the Villa fans who blow furiously hot and cold at our players.  Because they're the worst... #Gilforpresident2016

• Like 1

Sorry to bring up this old shibboleth, but another facet of this Villa era of diminished expectations and a 'losing mentality' is this hoarding impulse.  Maybe Gardener will come good?  Hey Tonev wasn't all that bad right?  We all saw Bennett do that shimmy and neat dribble thing; surely that's more indicative of his ability than the 99% of the time he looks like a confused rat in a hallucinogenic medical trial?

Gardner is a mystery to me.  I am far from an expert but he always seems the epitome of average.  And as we know, 'distinctly average' means not good enough.  One of those players that's a bag full of 'not quites': Not quite quick enough, not quite strong enough, not quite fit enough, not quite commanidng enough... I could go on.

Perhaps it is time to divest of the 'young and hungry' myth all together and acknowledge, like all sensible parents, that our kids aren't anything special.

Ryan Mason is shit though.

How about letting have a run of games to see if he can step up? He grew into the game last night and had some decent touches he even hit the post from 25 yards. He's lost 2 years through injury and that'll have held him back massively. He's got the attributes to be a good player now he just needs a bit of luck.

• Like 1

How about letting have a run of games to see if he can step up? He grew into the game last night and had some decent touches he even hit the post from 25 yards. He's lost 2 years through injury and that'll have held him back massively. He's got the attributes to be a good player now he just needs a bit of luck.

Absolutely.  He's here for at least one more year, let's see what he's made of.  I'm just afraid that the answer will probably be: Bit of Jack Rodwell, bit of Cleverly, not enough meat or ability.

Indeed. The first few pages of the Benteke thread are pure hilarity. Drop him for weimann!

Loved Richards post, he'll probably be known as Benchteke.

Would love Gary to come good. Hopefully it's this season.

He'll be the next in line who played a bit part for us and went on to move to settle into a first team place elsewhere I reckon.

Whittingham (Cardiff), Davis (Southampton, yes I know he went to Fulham first then Rangers but this is where he has settled), Albrighton (Leicester), Myhill (Hull), Gary Cahill (Bolton/Chelsea).. Gardner ??

In the Sun is that he's done his ankle ligaments and is likely to be out for a month.

That's his problem, he is made of glass. Quite how he managed to get a new contract I will never know, he is injuered more often than Darren Anderton!

Â