Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

I really feel for Gary Gardner.

He had so much potential as an 18 year old, easily as much as Jack Grealish has now even, but injuries have robbed him of valuable years of his footballing development, and while I feel that he will still go on to have a decent career (with us or elsewhere), it will never hit the heights that it should have.

He's been terribly unlucky with the injuries but he's been very well looked after by the club - especially considering that he's not shown anything for the first team yet. Huge potential though and here's hoping he actually can stay fit for us.

• Like 1

He's been terribly unlucky with the injuries but he's been very well looked after by the club - especially considering that he's not shown anything for the first team yet. Huge potential though and here's hoping he actually can stay fit for us.

Yep, and I think the club are actually protecting their investment by offering a new contract. I can't imagine it's come with much (or anything) of a pay rise for GG, but affords us the option of taking our time to assess the player once fully fit without losing him on a free.

Good for GG as it offers him financial security whilst he tries to get over his many injuries.

We finally appear to be being run like a financially savvy business. Where was Tom Fox when MON was here. Oh what could have been...

Yep, and I think the club are actually protecting their investment by offering a new contract. I can't imagine it's come with much (or anything) of a pay rise for GG, but affords us the option of taking our time to assess the player once fully fit without losing him on a free.

Good for GG as it offers him financial security whilst he tries to get over his many injuries.

We finally appear to be being run like a financially savvy business. Where was Tom Fox when MON was here. Oh what could have been...

I think if Tom Fox and MON had been here at the same time, the same thing would have happened.... MON petulantly storming off.

But perhaps we would have avoided, McLeish, Frenchie and Lambert. But then we might not ever have gotten TS. 

• 3 weeks later...

TS must have liked what he's seen. On the OS he's quotes as saying :

He told AVTV: "We are delighted that Gary has signed a long-term contract because we do see him as the future of the football club.

"It's too easy to discard your homegrown players. I am not one to do that.

"We will give him every opportunity to play for the club he loves.

link: http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4992782,00.html

• 1 month later...

https://mobile.twitter.com/22Gards/status/652511011686191104/video/1

Gardner's goal in midweek behind closed doors match. Nice goal! 

Nonchalant !!!

If i scored a goal like that i'd have sprinted down the pitch celebrating

Gary's probably scared he might injure himself though attempting such a feat so he's right to remain calm

The club are doing the right thing by extending his contract to assess him. He has shown some ability when younger and out on loan, and has been the subject of much hype, but when he has had a run out for the first team he has been poor. It would be great if he could make it in the first team, but at his age and with his injuries, it appears doubtful.

I've heard he may be in with a chance of getting game time on Saturday.  Lets hope he replaces Westwood at some stage, if not from the start.

Straight out of the book of desperation.....

one of Timmy's (many) problems is not knowing his best side or giving a team a few games to gel - he chops and changes too much in sheer hope that something might go his way. 

I like Gardner but he isn't the answer IMO.

Â