Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

IMO its as much to demand a fee should we sell him rather than lose a player we have developed for nothing like we did with Albrighton 

By all accounts did well at Forrest so still could be a place for him in the squad at th every least he offers a decent goal threat from long range.

• Like 1

We're not leaving anything to chance on contracts are we?

We've been terrible at letting players get into their last 18 month, ever since the rule first came in and we lost Bosnich, we've never seemed to learn a lesson, we let Barry and Young go cheap, we got stung on Delph's contract, we've allowed things to run for years and years. 

I'm really pleased that we seem to be finally learning that lesson. Someone is doing something very right.

• Like 3

Ill be shocked if he is not sent back out on loan now...forest maybe!

Think Derby may be interested
I was speaking to a Derby fan at work yesterday, said their midfield has been wiped out by injuries. I mentioned Gary at the time and could easily see a 3 month(minimum) loan to them happening.

Would suit all parties.

We're not leaving anything to chance on contracts are we?

We've been terrible at letting players get into their last 18 month, ever since the rule first came in and we lost Bosnich, we've never seemed to learn a lesson, we let Barry and Young go cheap, we got stung on Delph's contract, we've allowed things to run for years and years. 

I'm really pleased that we seem to be finally learning that lesson. Someone is doing something very right.

It's funny how Champ Man/FM Sherwood is.

Buy young talent at prices you know will rise or stay fairly constant, protect the younger contracts so you get money in the future, look at old heads as frees and try to poach a kid from Barcelona. 

This change in attitude is massively overdue and Sherwood has earned extra respect from me by doing things in the right manner, even if he did get lucky by selling Tekkers....very FM!

At least we will get some money for him when he does leave. I just can't see him making it at Villa now- he is 23 years old. Unlucky with the injuries but is Gary really that good? I would be happy to be proved wrong.

I guess a good role model for Gardner would be Leon Osman who was in his mid 20s when he finally broke into the Everton side and 10 years later he has had over 300 games and played for England.

At least we will get some money for him when he does leave. I just can't see him making it at Villa now- he is 23 years old. Unlucky with the injuries but is Gary really that good? I would be happy to be proved wrong.

I guess a good role model for Gardner would be Leon Osman who was in his mid 20s when he finally broke into the Everton side and 10 years later he has had over 300 games and played for England.

He showed a hell of a lot of promise at Forest last year. I would ask, what is "that good" to us? I guess that the guys who see him in training every day would know more than me at this stage and he's lost years to injury so I don't take much notice of his age. As you say, Osman is a good comparison in that respect. 

I don't think he should go on loan again myself because I think he's already nailed it at that level, if he does only a month long one. 

It's not an area we're massively deep in - we're playing with three midfields and we've got Gueye, Westwood, Veretout and Sanchez - I'm not sure we can afford to let him out on loan at the moment. One injury puts him on the bench.

Agreed he needs to stick around unless we make a signing, and even then I'd want him available for recall. 

Don't get me wrong I'm sure he's a good player but he's 23 now... in 5 years time he'll still be going out on loan to championship clubs and Villa fans will still be saying he's 'one for the future'. 

• Like 1

I like Gardner, and I'm happy he's been given a new contract. He's been slightly unlucky over the years with his injuries, picking up knocks just as he was being given chances in and around the first team.

I know we've said the same thing for years, but he does appear to have some ability, so it's just whether he can take a few of these chances in the first team by the scruff of the neck.

Either that, or he'll be sent back out on loan with a view to either getting a chance whe comes back, or earning himself a move and bringing in a small transfer fee for Villa.

I'm hoping he gets a game against Notts County.

good signing... I'd say keep him here. He'll get a chance if he's good enough, if not allow on loan in the spring and ship off for a fee next summer. Getting close to the last chance saloon for him unfortunately. 

His last couple of contracts have been handed to him on the hope he will turn the corner from his injuries and turn into a star for us. I personally think this contract will end up the same as previous years injuries a few loans thrown in and eventually think he will go. I don't think he's done anything to be rewarded with a new 3 year deal. My opinion of course

Edited by Uncle Albert

I don't think it's really a reward for anything, its simply protecting an asset, which all well run clubs do.

Happily we now seem to have proper businessman at the club, thats what pleases me most about this deal.

I still remember a couple of years ago when he played against Newcastle at St.James (possibly came on as a second half sub) - and he looked excellent, a real all-round midfield player. What struck me was that the actually provided a goal threat - he took a shots when he had the chance, he got himself into good positions, and he even attacked a couple of crosses in the box. I remember saying to one of the lads, we havn't had a player like this since Ian Taylor. I still don't we have one now other than him.

I hope he gets a chance and stays at the club. He could easily be a squad player at the very least, and its good to have guys like him, Clark, and Baker - its sends a good message to the next crop of youngsters coming through...

Â