Brad Guzan

R.Bear

IM sorry but **** off Brad. Rather Bunn in against West Brom

As bad as Guzan has been, Bunn is worse. 

well give Steer a game or Siegrist or Tony Parks

I dont want see Guzan in goal for the derbies, he has sunk so low he is on Enckelman level

He has had a very poor start to the season after a poor end to last season. His decision making today was poor. Twice in the first half half crosses were played into our six yard box that he should have claimed and he didn't even come. Then the huge f up that cost us the third goal.

Unfortunately he is probably the best keeper we have so we are well and truly in the shit in that department.

I think guzan had a big hand in keeping us up in 2012-2013 (God that's a depressing sentence) but I think his cookie has crumbled, for want of a better phrase. He just looks absolutely blown out and makes some ridiculous decisions. I'm a keeper for a Sunday league team and am braver coming for the ball, and if I get wrote off I need time off work and I've got a bloody mortgage to pay. But just win the ball! Poleaxing the mother is just a bonus if thats what happens. Hesitancy with a keeper is a creeping disease, and it breeds on a lack of confidence. 

• Like 1

Shomin, The way you dismiss Guzan's ability in that post is unfair and unfounded IMO. I'd suggest that the majority of support Guzan gets on here isn't because he is a 'cult hero' but rather because he is actually a good goalkeeper. I'd also disagree with the idea of him being a cult hero as I don't think he is. 

You critique his ability against two of the best keepers in the league who are playing for teams that are for the most part solid top 6 sides. As we are a long way away from that, would it not have been fairer to compare his ability to keepers who are around the bottom 6 or maybe even mid table?

"We don't need heroes, we want players" Can I ask, what does that even mean? Your post flows wonderfully but i'm actually struggling to see what you are getting at apart from that you think Guzan is a bit shit.

This may seem opportunistic to reply now, so forgive me, but I have emotions too.  A disappointing day.

Guzan's confidence looks cracked.  Part of that is because he's an old-fashioned keeper, unlike the world-class players I mentioned, and he isn't as prepared.  I cited Lloris and De Gea because of the type of keepers they are, more involved in every sense of the word.  And they can play.  Brad is very hustle and bustle, too busy with his hands, too slack with his footowork.  I could even venture to say there's something very 'American' about his style.  He is unprepared.  By proper players I mean individuals who can read the game and integrate themselves into the team that's required to both win games and evolve the team.  Players whose skill, ability, application and input is precisely appropriate to match-winning and team-building, not saving us at the last moment, not 'showing their spirit', not living for the fan's cheers.  That's how I would differentiate between proper players and 'cult heroes'.  Proper players apply their honed ability to the totality of the game, and not the moment.  You necessarily grow attached to your rescuers.  But you don't prosper depending on them.

Again, please aim the pelted fruit and vegetables away from the face.  Much love.

Â