Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Guzan is in the same boat as Baker, Clark, Agbonlahor, Westwood et al.  The tides have risen.  The quality is higher.  Time to sink or swim.  Cult heroes are great for internet forums; not so good on the pitch.  Maybe it's a little heartless to admit it, but there's already shades of yesterday about Brad, smashing chap he may be.  If a new keeper had come in and done marvellously (think Butland, or hey, Begovic), I think our our old chum may have significantly fewer warm thoughts sent his way.

• Like 2

Guzan is in the same boat as Baker, Clark, Agbonlahor, Westwood et al.  The tides have risen.  The quality is higher.  Time to sink or swim.  Cult heroes are great for internet forums; not so good on the pitch.  Maybe it's a little heartless to admit it, but there's already shades of yesterday about Brad, smashing chap he may be.  If a new keeper had come in and done marvellously (think Butland, or hey, Begovic), I think our our old chum may have significantly fewer warm thoughts sent his way.

Most ignorant post of this year? 

• Like 1

Westwood has been excellent this season. Clark had one mediocre match and he is already being written off despite being one of our best players last season? How is the quality higher? We lost a world class striker, one of the best center backs from the last world cup, and an english midfielder. We have won 1 of our last 8 league matches and yet we apparently have a better squad? 

If Guzan is in the same boat as the likes of Agbonlahor, Westwood, and Clark, then Guzan is in a very good spot. Tim praised Westwood and said he could play for England. Tim clearly loves Gabby and sees a great player in him. Same goes for Clark who has been Sherwood's #1 since Tim took over. I guess Guzan is in a good spot with that logic. 

Most ignorant post?  Not a fan of the Match Day threads, eh?

So, this is fun and meaty.  I'm intrigued, genuinely, do you not consider the likes of Amavi, Traore, Gana, Richards to be a significant improvement upon what we had last season?  If not, why did we buy them?  As any fool knows, the best new employees will raise the standards of existing ones.  This is particularly true of football.  The gauntlet is at the feet of messrs Gabby, Clark, Hutton etc.  I see an obvious, almost awkward, tier between the top class players we have and the somewhat-also-rans.  They also smell a little of the old regime.  Can the 'old guard' raise their game to fit in with the new recruits?  I haven't made my mind up yet.  It happens at other clubs.  Sink or swim.  I've been out of the country and haven't seen as much Villa as I would like, but Westwood, for example is looking pretty good.  A wee swimmer we might have?  Agbonlahor and Clark not so much.  I think they look like yesterday, both in Villa and footballing terms.  I mean, I'm awfully sorry for them... And Guzan.  Look at the likes of Lloris or De Gea, swift, composed ACTUAL PLAYERS, their presence on the pitch, be it distributing sweeper or commander of defence, is significantly greater than Guzan.  They're the future.  Quick, smart, efficient, commanding.  Guzan has saved us many times over the past few seasons.  I'm very grateful.  But, and I find myself saying this a lot round these parts, we don't need saving anymore, we don't need heroes.  We want players.  And we seem to have gotten some.  Let's hope they like the water too.

Oh, and your beloved Kozak?  I'm afraid I'm already making inquiries at the glue factory...

Shomin, The way you dismiss Guzan's ability in that post is unfair and unfounded IMO. I'd suggest that the majority of support Guzan gets on here isn't because he is a 'cult hero' but rather because he is actually a good goalkeeper. I'd also disagree with the idea of him being a cult hero as I don't think he is. 

You critique his ability against two of the best keepers in the league who are playing for teams that are for the most part solid top 6 sides. As we are a long way away from that, would it not have been fairer to compare his ability to keepers who are around the bottom 6 or maybe even mid table?

"We don't need heroes, we want players" Can I ask, what does that even mean? Your post flows wonderfully but i'm actually struggling to see what you are getting at apart from that you think Guzan is a bit shit.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 3

Most ignorant post?  Not a fan of the Match Day threads, eh?

So, this is fun and meaty.  I'm intrigued, genuinely, do you not consider the likes of Amavi, Traore, Gana, Richards to be a significant improvement upon what we had last season?  If not, why did we buy them?  As any fool knows, the best new employees will raise the standards of existing ones.  This is particularly true of football.  The gauntlet is at the feet of messrs Gabby, Clark, Hutton etc.  I see an obvious, almost awkward, tier between the top class players we have and the somewhat-also-rans.  They also smell a little of the old regime.  Can the 'old guard' raise their game to fit in with the new recruits?  I haven't made my mind up yet.  It happens at other clubs.  Sink or swim.  I've been out of the country and haven't seen as much Villa as I would like, but Westwood, for example is looking pretty good.  A wee swimmer we might have?  Agbonlahor and Clark not so much.  I think they look like yesterday, both in Villa and footballing terms.  I mean, I'm awfully sorry for them... And Guzan.  Look at the likes of Lloris or De Gea, swift, composed ACTUAL PLAYERS, their presence on the pitch, be it distributing sweeper or commander of defence, is significantly greater than Guzan.  They're the future.  Quick, smart, efficient, commanding.  Guzan has saved us many times over the past few seasons.  I'm very grateful.  But, and I find myself saying this a lot round these parts, we don't need saving anymore, we don't need heroes.  We want players.  And we seem to have gotten some.  Let's hope they like the water too.

Oh, and your beloved Kozak?  I'm afraid I'm already making inquiries at the glue factory...

It is was too early to say that any one of our signings other than Amavi is an upgrade. Gana has looked to be a suitable Delph replacement, but has not convinced me that he is above and beyond the player Delph was for us. RIchards has started well, but Vlaar was largely good for us as well. Traore has played what 20 minutes of league football for us, so there is no way I am going to say he is the next best thing just yet. We bought those players because we had to. When a club loses players, they typically have to sign new ones...

You are comparing Guzan to world class keepers, so obviously he is going to come up short to them. If you want to compare Guzan to other keepers, then compare him to the likes of Pantimillon, Foster, or Krul because it's silly to compare say Sanchez to Busquets. Guzan is right around our level. If you think we can attract the likes of De Gea or Lloris, then you are delusional. Even if Tim wanted to replace Guzan, we struggle to find a keeper who is clearly better than Brad to join us. 

I don't understand why Kozak is even being mentioned in a Guzan thread. Yes I like Kozak, just like I like any other Villa player. I am also Czech, and Kozak is Czech so of course I am going to have some type of national pride, but I am not delusional about Kozak. I don't go around spouting he is our best striker and stuff like that. I guarantee if no one knew I was czech, then they would not think I had any type of liking towards Kozak over another player. 

• Like 1

Playing a double header in two different states for two different teams against Argentina and Brazil, I suppose you can forgive him for letting in six goals.

But seriously, as much as the USA were manhandled by Brazil tonight, Guzan wasn't at fault. Klinsmann trotting out a central defensive pairing that had never played together before, starting our two best available centrebacks at fullback, putting an attacking midfielder in a holding role, and playing our best two-way midfielder as some kind of strange false-10 role off of a stranded and lethargic striker might have had more to do with it. Not to say we would have won even if he'd gotten things right, but he got things really wrong and it showed.

I'm going to be honest, at first glance I thought Argentina had invented a new formation and a new position whilst also breaking the rules.

Whoever decided to put the managers name in the same type face, weight and size in that area of the image is a silly sausage.

• Like 4

Â