Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Why all speeds are relative (see general relativity) except the speed of light.

The speed of light is relative to the speed of light passing through a different medium. (If I've understood your use of the word "relative" correctly.)

Think of "C" as an upper limit for the speed anything can move, Like zero is the slowest.

The example I had in my head was that a car is traveling along a road and is overtaken by another car, now the speed of the overtaking car is obviously dependent on who is observing it, e.g car b is traveling at 20mph relative to car a but 80mph relative to someone who is at rest on the side of the road.

Take it to extremes though and imagine the car is traveling at 180,000 miles per second and flicks on its headlights, it doesn't matter whether you are in the car or observing from the side of the road the light still travels at 186,000 miles per second. I guess this goes someway to explaining why time slows down when approaching the speed of light because when you travel faster in space, time must slow down to compensate.

Fascinating stuff which I'm only just starting to get my head around.

Surely not. The car is still travelling at 180,000 MPS so only 6,000 MPS slower than the light. So if you're in the car (thus travelling at 180,000 MPS) the light is only travelling away from you at 6,000 MPS too.

I think you've misunderstood something. Or I have?

No you have mate, your time would be slowed down to accommodate seeing the light traveling away at 186,000 miles per second, this all ties in to the twin paradox and why you would come

Back having aged a lot less than your twin who stayed on earth while you were traveling at close to light speed, it's absolute not relative.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1

Another example I heard, I probably saw it in a docu-series but can't remember, is that if two light beams is travelling towards eachother they are approaching eachother at the speed of light, not twice the speed of light, as someone as simple minded as me would assume.

I see what you mean but the alternative is to sit on this rock waiting for it to die.   

I am thinking we should be pro-active in this area.

The funding thing is a problem yet we waste billions on wars about religion and various gods that have never and will never exist so sending stuff around the universe is far more productive than what we are wasting on here anyway.

I'm all for exploration and I'm glad plans are being made to get to Mars. At the risk of being labelled a yoghurt knitter we need to sort out this planet because it is going to be **** pretty soon.

Well it is for stuff we wonder about.  I dont know what  yoghurt knitter  is ?  Anyway,  we don't have enough time or space to fix earth in time,  that's what I am getting at and also.  We will never find anything sitting on our hands.

Yoghurt Knitter

n A mildly derogatory term for a tree hugging liberal. It combines yoghurt - the food of choice of hippies - with knitting - a reference to the arts and craft movement.

neil.jpg

Why all speeds are relative (see general relativity) except the speed of light.

The speed of light is relative to the speed of light passing through a different medium. (If I've understood your use of the word "relative" correctly.)

Think of "C" as an upper limit for the speed anything can move, Like zero is the slowest.

The example I had in my head was that a car is traveling along a road and is overtaken by another car, now the speed of the overtaking car is obviously dependent on who is observing it, e.g car b is traveling at 20mph relative to car a but 80mph relative to someone who is at rest on the side of the road.

Take it to extremes though and imagine the car is traveling at 180,000 miles per second and flicks on its headlights, it doesn't matter whether you are in the car or observing from the side of the road the light still travels at 186,000 miles per second. I guess this goes someway to explaining why time slows down when approaching the speed of light because when you travel faster in space, time must slow down to compensate.

Fascinating stuff which I'm only just starting to get my head around.

Nail head, pretty much.

Light is essentially the base plane of relativity, no matter what speed you're travelling at. If you're travelling at the speed of light, the light will move away from you, at the speed of light, but will also travel at the same speed for someone standing still. Or as put in the theory of special relativity, The speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers, regardless of the relative motion or of the motion of the light source.

It's been a while since I did studied relativity, so I can't remember too much about it, but time only slows for the observer, which is why light stays the same in every plane, it's a physical constant, so it's constant for everyone. Time slows simply because when you're going so fast, everything else seems to be going incredibly slowly, but to them they are still travelling normally. It's very complicated, obviously :D

Essentially, light may have a speed, but it's also a universal constant, so doesn't change. In Layman's terms, 1 second is the same speed for everybody, but appears to travel at different speeds when observed by others not travelling at the same speed.

I've probably complicated things more, as I said I can't remember it too clearly, but I hope that helps somewhat. It's very interesting to learn about, but very difficult too.

What are the correct/scientific/whatever names for pictures that contain a neverending imagine, like the laughing cow on Dairylea which has laughing cow earrings which has laughing cow earrings.... ad finitium?

This is embarrassing but... When you drive a car and you don't have your seat belt on..it goes beep right? But how does the car know not to do that if there is only the driver in the car, so the passenger seatbelt won't be used? I don't think I have explained that well haha

This is embarrassing but... When you drive a car and you don't have your seat belt on..it goes beep right? But how does the car know not to do that if there is only the driver in the car, so the passenger seatbelt won't be used? I don't think I have explained that well haha

By weight. It senses a suitable weight and pings if the seat is "in use" but the seatbelt is not.

However too much on the passenger seat may require you strapping said seat in to stop the pinging.

If that's what you meant..

Edited by theunderstudy

Pressure on the seat.

I believe that many cars have weight sensors or something like it, where they register if there's a certain amount of weight. I know my car does, because if you're under a certain amount of weight the airbag in the passengers seat automatically disables and there's a light that indicates it's off.

Edit: beaten to it by multiple posters. Weak effort

Edited by Rovers13

Â