Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Why do tennis ball have the swirly S bit/join on them?

It's the way they were stitched back in the day and I think the people who run tennis realised that the seam made the ball more aerodynamic and fly better (take note World Cup football manufacturers...) so when rules were introduced to standardise tennis ball design and behaviour they kept the S.  Baseballs have the S too but they are still stitched. 

Wunderbar. Danke, mind at ease.

Since the Voyager missions were quite a success and one is still going from what I understand why don't we do this :-

Make 1000 + Voyager type craft which are basically fired into the regions of the universe we think looks interesting (from a goldilocks type perspective).

The change is that when these are built they are built to travel only and report back what they see,  forget all that.  Get them to be able to hit the surface of a planet and basically explode.

Load em up with as much interesting organisms,  bacteria and basically anything that currently does not get on these craft.  Fire them out with the only task,  find a planet ,    tell us where it is,  get through the atmosphere and land spreading the earth type goodness (send something to see how its going in a few hundred years.  Why ? Why not.  What would it do,  who knows,  got to be better than looking at it all (Space) and well looking some more.

This is our job to do IMO and who says its not ?  Who decided not to do this,  maybe something did similar with earth billions of years ago ? 

(Religion /  I believe in god(s) and all that **** has no right to infringe on this as its a disease / illness of the mind and thus a personnel thing entirely IMO).  

Since the Voyager missions were quite a success and one is still going from what I understand why don't we do this :-

Make 1000 + Voyager type craft which are basically fired into the regions of the universe we think looks interesting (from a goldilocks type perspective).

The change is that when these are built they are built to travel only and report back what they see,  forget all that.  Get them to be able to hit the surface of a planet and basically explode.

Load em up with as much interesting organisms,  bacteria and basically anything that currently does not get on these craft.  Fire them out with the only task,  find a planet ,    tell us where it is,  get through the atmosphere and land spreading the earth type goodness (send something to see how its going in a few hundred years.  Why ? Why not.  What would it do,  who knows,  got to be better than looking at it all (Space) and well looking some more.

This is our job to do IMO and who says its not ?  Who decided not to do this,  maybe something did similar with earth billions of years ago ? 

(Religion /  I believe in god(s) and all that **** has no right to infringe on this as its a disease / illness of the mind and thus a personnel thing entirely IMO).  

I think all that is too long-term. Is it possible to hit planets from that distance?

It would take 10,000s of years to reach the nearest star. Could be 100,000s or millions of years to reach a habitable planet. Nobody would fund it.

I see what you mean but the alternative is to sit on this rock waiting for it to die.   

I am thinking we should be pro-active in this area.

The funding thing is a problem yet we waste billions on wars about religion and various gods that have never and will never exist so sending stuff around the universe is far more productive than what we are wasting on here anyway.  

I see what you mean but the alternative is to sit on this rock waiting for it to die.   

The funding thing is a problem yet we waste billions on wars about religion and various gods that have never and will never exist so sending stuff around the universe is far more productive than what we are wasting on here anyway.  

I'm all for exploration and I'm glad plans are being made to get to Mars. At the risk of being labelled a yoghurt knitter we need to sort out this planet because it is going to be **** pretty soon. 

I think all that is too long-term. Is it possible to hit planets from that distance?

It would take 10,000s of years to reach the nearest star. Could be 100,000s or millions of years to reach a habitable planet. Nobody would fund it.

At Voyager speed it would take about 150 000 years to reach Alpha Centauri

I'm all for exploration and I'm glad plans are being made to get to Mars. At the risk of being labelled a yoghurt knitter we need to sort out this planet because it is going to be **** pretty soon. 

Well it is for stuff we wonder about.  I dont know what  yoghurt knitter  is ?  Anyway,  we don't have enough time or space to fix earth in time,  that's what I am getting at and also.  We will never find anything sitting on our hands.  

Â