Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

......does toast taste better if you put the butter on it when its cold (the bread not the butter)

Do you mean butter the bread and then toast it.

Or toast it, let it go cold and then butter it?

If it's the former, I don't know... but maybe.

If it's the latter then 100% no.

What are the correct/scientific/whatever names for pictures that contain a neverending imagine, like the laughing cow on Dairylea which has laughing cow earrings which has laughing cow earrings.... ad finitium?

You mean ad infinitum, no?

Edited by snowychap

No you have mate, your time would be slowed down to accommodate seeing the light traveling away at 186,000 miles per second, this all ties in to the twin paradox and why you would come

Back having aged a lot less than your twin who stayed on earth while you were traveling at close to light speed, it's absolute not relative.

The  closer you get to C the slower it all goes around you as far as I know.

I think its like if you are on a train going 99.9999 % of C then if you run forward up the carriage everything MUST slow down or you would hit the 100 %.  No matter what one does you can never quite get to the 100 % if anything ever does then its all gone wrong.  (Its not just light it covers everything in the universe light / matter / doughnuts / chipmunks on a skateboard / top hats / loads of other things.....

The faster you go the slower time goes, although you wouldn't notice because every single clock would slow down not just man made clocks but body clocks and everything, The best example I've ever seen that gives a little intuition for why this happens is the light clock example.

I could be wrong but I think if your on a train going anywhere near the speed of sound you wouldn't be able to run forward because you'd be pinned against your seat because the speed would have the same affect as gravity.

......does toast taste better if you put the butter on it when its cold (the bread not the butter)

It doesn't. 

The art of buttering toast is doing it when the bread temperature is just right, so that some of the butter melts, but some of it doesn't. Also, the bread has to be on the verge of being burnt in some areas but not others. 

It's a tricky recipe, is hot buttered toast. 

The faster you go the slower time goes, although you wouldn't notice because every single clock would slow down not just man made clocks but body clocks and everything, The best example I've ever seen that gives a little intuition for why this happens is the light clock example.

In case anybody doubts this, it's real-world measurable. 

If you take two very accurate precision clocks, synchronise them, then put one on a fast jet and fly it down to (say) South Africa and back, then compare the two, the time on the one on the plane will be marginally behind the left behind when you get back. 

No mechanical error involved, it's time itself that passes more slowly on the plane. OK, it's an infinitesimal amount at these speeds, but if you could get up near the speed of light, it would be significant. 

• Like 1

Vaguely remember reading something about a Russian astronaut who spent six months up there. It might have been that he aged four seconds less than people on earth. I have difficulty understanding all this,

I could be wrong but I think if your on a train going anywhere near the speed of sound you wouldn't be able to run forward because you'd be pinned against your seat because the speed would have the same affect as gravity.

Ok,  in theory  :rolleyes: .  Anyway,  It would probably be held up in Rugby or something knowing my luck and I would end up on a replacement bus service, that would actually get overtaken by chipmunks on a skateboard.  (TIP: Buy them plastic skateboards,  not as good for tricks so i am told but ...well...wooden ones....well you can just guess  :huh: 

What are the correct/scientific/whatever names for pictures that contain a neverending imagine, like the laughing cow on Dairylea which has laughing cow earrings which has laughing cow earrings.... ad finitium?

You mean ad infinitum, no?

Yes, yes I do. No idea why I erred there.

In case anybody doubts this, it's real-world measurable. 

If you take two very accurate precision clocks, synchronise them, then put one on a fast jet and fly it down to (say) South Africa and back, then compare the two, the time on the one on the plane will be marginally behind the left behind when you get back. 

No mechanical error involved, it's time itself that passes more slowly on the plane. OK, it's an infinitesimal amount at these speeds, but if you could get up near the speed of light, it would be significant. 

Everything moves at the speed of light through time and space, a stationary object is moving only through time and an object that is moving at the speed of light doesn't move through time at all. So the faster you move through the space dimension the slower you move through the time dimension and vice versa. Also gravity has it's role in time dilution as well.

But obviously nobody should take my word for it I'm just regurgitating stuff I've read and only half understood.

It doesn't. 

The art of buttering toast is doing it when the bread temperature is just right, so that some of the butter melts, but some of it doesn't. Also, the bread has to be on the verge of being burnt in some areas but not others. 

It's a tricky recipe, is hot buttered toast. 

you are straying dangerously close to territory occupied by my work colleague with his excel chart for the water temperature in his coffee 

so stop right right there  :)

Â