Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Classic school dinner

I was thinking this I really can’t remember sausages being on the menu which they obviously were. However I do remember the skin on the custard and throwing a hissy fit if I did not get it

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I was thinking this I really can’t remember sausages being on the menu which they obviously were. However I do remember the skin on the custard and throwing a hissy fit if I did not get it

Did you get green custard at Halloween? That was the highlight of the year for me.

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

Did you get green custard at Halloween? That was the highlight of the year for me.

Yes we did, forgot all about that, The Dinnerladies used to dress as witches as well 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, useless said:

If an asteroid the size of London was going to hit the Artic I imagine they'd try and rescue as many polar bears and other animals as possible.

If an asteroid the size of London hit Earth, we'd all be dead.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Xela said:

What's happened to @Seat68

I know he was moving house but thought he would be back online by now. Hope he's ok

Same goes for other VTers like @Rugeley Villa who disappear from here. 

It was seat68 who was asking after me just before my hiatus and to be frank I was looking forward to his warm embrace upon my return.

• Like 1

On 21/09/2020 at 10:33, Follyfoot said:

Why did they have a fork going into a sausage in the Grange Hill opening credits 

Because we don't live in China? 

(The) 'Rugby League' and (The) 'Rugby Union' are the names of the organising bodies for their sports. Surely the sports themselves should be called 'League rugby' and 'Union rugby'? After all, the round ball sport is called 'Association football', not 'Football Association'. 

14 hours ago, mjmooney said:

(The) 'Rugby League' and (The) 'Rugby Union' are the names of the organising bodies for their sports. Surely the sports themselves should be called 'League rugby' and 'Union rugby'? After all, the round ball sport is called 'Association football', not 'Football Association'. 

Those aren’t the names of the organising bodies, they are The Rugby Football Union (RFU)and The Rugby Football League (RFL)

The demarcation is between Association Football and Rugby Football, which is consistent. What follows the word football is the distinction between the two codes of Rugby Football

The problem lies with the word football being omitted to shorten the sports names just as Association is dropped from the version of football that is "The Beautiful Game." Really we should all be fans of a sport called Association as it is a mere branch of the Football Sports, which brings us full circle to the original English shortening of the name of the game, Soccer. Soccer is actually more logically correct than Football

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

Those aren’t the names of the organising bodies, they are The Rugby Football Union (RFU)and The Rugby Football League (RFL)

The demarcation is between Association Football and Rugby Football, which is consistent. What follows the word football is the distinction between the two codes of Rugby Football

Yeah, I knew that about the organising bodies, I was kind of shorthanding them. But the analogy with Association football holds - the prevalent usage still sounds wrong to me. Should be the other way round: "What code of rugby do you play?" "I play League rugby". The sport is called rugby (noun), and 'league' and 'union' are effectively adjectives to modify it. Unlike French, English normally places the adjective before the noun. Otherwise it sounds like you're 'playing a league' or 'playing a union'. This has bugged me ever since I was a kid. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Why my head can't remember how to distinguish infer from imply. I swear to god I read the definitions every week and one day later, poof it's gone. 

Hmmm don’t know what you’re trying to insinuate here.....

• Like 1

On 23/08/2020 at 12:44, bickster said:

Same sort of logic as the company that insisted workers WFH on zoom calls must wear a mask (I forget which largish company that was)

the office rage GIF

Aaaand now I'm in a bad **** mood.

• Haha 1

On 21/09/2020 at 13:25, Mark Albrighton said:

Exactly, there wouldn’t be any people left alive to save the polar bears.

And then they'd have the place to themselves.

Â