Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Can anyone settle a debate? 

If we can ever complete a brain transplant, is it a body transplant for the brain, or a brain transplant for the body? Basically, who would the end result (body/brain mix) be identified as? The person who had the body, or the person who had the brain? 

Do both parties have to be human?

• Like 1

If we can ever complete a brain transplant, is it a body transplant for the brain, or a brain transplant for the body? Basically, who would the end result (body/brain mix) be identified as? The person who had the body, or the person who had the brain? 

I would say definitely the brain, as that is who they would identify themselves as. 

• Like 1

That is a good question. After all, legally you'd think the brain is the body part and therefore the individual would probably be that of the body. But the person would definitely identify as the brain because that's who we are. It's also not a long way away either. There were stories recently of someone going to try it, with people coming out saying it would be a fate worse than death for the person involved.

Whatever happened to the Walkers giveaway where you would find a blue packet in your crisps containing either a £5, £10 or £20 note but more often than not a voucher for a free bag of crisps.

Those were the days.

Even better was when they had those loony toons Pogs in packets of Walkers back in the 90s

• Like 2

I remember reading about the difficulties involved with eye transplants in blind people. One of the problems is that if your blind then it's not just the eyes that are 'defective.' But the part of the brain (occipital lobes?) that's involved in image processing is usually defective as well, in that it will have been adapted for some other use, since it's not being used by the eyes. WIth brain transplants there'd probably be similar problems times billions, when you think of all the connections there must be between the brain and the rest of the body.

That is a good question. After all, legally you'd think the brain is the body part and therefore the individual would probably be that of the body. But the person would definitely identify as the brain because that's who we are. It's also not a long way away either. There were stories recently of someone going to try it, with people coming out saying it would be a fate worse than death for the person involved.

That's what we were debating, as surely

It takes the body to allow the brain to recieve oxygen and function, so the brain would be reliant on the body functioning. But the identity of a person comes from the brain, and the brain is required to tell the body to complete those bodily processes (AFAIK).

Also, if the body is the identity rather than the brain, would that mean the family now have a new person in the same body as before? Surely it would be less traumatic for the person if the brain was the identity as it would take less to readjust socially and emotionally.

Either way, I'm more 'team brain' but if we ever get to that stage scientifically you can imagine there being quite a few complications legally.

I'm in team Brain.

The brain is who you are, regardless of the body. 

Example A which concludes my arguement

Krang_android.jpg

• Like 4

whats the origin of the word gig to mean concert?

Whats the origin of the word dub, as in the form of music, and if it is to dub something onto a tune, whats the origin of that? I havent mooneyed any of this.

Â