Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

It was the level of service. I'm no sales rep for British Gas, but I was able to go on the website, click that I needed a repair. The website confirmed I was covered and gave me a choice of emergency visit, or pick a diary slot. No listening to holding music for 45 minutes. No hoping somebody rings you back and you're not in a meeting. Just instant.

I selected an afternoon slot with an advisory text 30 mins before arrival. He turned up at the appointed time, having sent a text 30 minutes earlier. He put down protective sheets, did the work, cleaned up, hoovered! arranged pick up of the rubbish and the old rad (which he first offered to me for scrap). He declined a cup of tea (waste of a bloody roopie that was) and didn't once stand out the back garden having a 20 minute fag break at £65 an hour. Sod all that, just the fact he was a plumber and he actually turned up.

If we hadn't made a claim, I'd have been suspicious about bothering to renew (it's the first year we've had this). Having seen the system in action, I'm very happy to pay that sort of money for that sort of service.

• Like 2

Whatever happened to the Walkers giveaway where you would find a blue packet in your crisps containing either a £5, £10 or £20 note but more often than not a voucher for a free bag of crisps.

Those were the days.

There was a disclaimer on the free bag of crisps token thingy that it was to the value of 27p, can remember it

Those were the days

Must be the additional cost of the air that walkers include in every bag...

Whatever happened to the Walkers giveaway where you would find a blue packet in your crisps containing either a £5, £10 or £20 note but more often than not a voucher for a free bag of crisps.

Those were the days.

There was a disclaimer on the free bag of crisps token thingy that it was to the value of 27p, can remember it

Those were the days

Must be the additional cost of the air that walkers include in every bag...

it isn't air it's nitrogen and it's used to slow down the rate of decay on the potatoes  ... it's actually quite an expensive process that Walkers go through that yer shop own brands don't ...

How does the premier league license work. I'm sat here in Istanbul and I can watch 6 games this weekend. Legally, on digiturk (their version of sky). I pay 12 tl a month for this privilege, thats around £3 a month.

I'm always reading that most of the money comes from selling to foreign broadcasters. So what gives? Genuine ponder.

I keep seeing the term "moneyball" in relation to football but have no idea what it means :mellow:

It's a book, and later a film.

In a nutshell it's about using statistics to find players (the book/film was about baseball) who are undervalued by teams.
So in the film (I haven't read the book), for example, they find a pitcher who throws the ball in a really unorthodox fashion and so none of the big teams want him, but his stats are actually decent. So they get him for much cheaper than he's worth, statistically. And they do that all over the team so that they end up with a really effective team on a really small (relatively speaking) budget. You also sell (or trade) players when their value is high because if you keep using the concept then you should be able to reinvest that money on more undervalued players.

I guess a footballing example would be a team buying Jamie Vardy instead of Wayne Rooney. Rooney would attract the higher transfer fee and wages but Vardy would be the more effective signing. A crude example based only on this season, but you see what I mean.

It's a very good concept. But the problem in football is that you can't base the game purely on statistics, so use of the concept has had very limited success.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

I keep seeing the term "moneyball" in relation to football but have no idea what it means :mellow:

It's a book, and later a film.

In a nutshell it's about using statistics to find players (the book/film was about baseball) who are undervalued by teams.
(snip)

It's a very good concept. But the problem in football is that you can't base the game purely on statistics, so use of the concept has had very limited success.

I don't necessarily disagree but I do think that the statistics in football isn't anywhere near fully developed yet. In baseball, statistics is obviously easier at face value - the game is comparatively static in nature - but they have also developed statistics (or metrics) to quantify the less obviously quantifiable. It is theoretically, to an extent at least, possible do so in football too. If I were in charge of a club, it is certainly something I'd invest in. 

Â