Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

whats the origin of the word gig to mean concert?

Whats the origin of the word dub, as in the form of music, and if it is to dub something onto a tune, whats the origin of that? I havent mooneyed any of this.

OK, without me-ing, I'll have a couple of guesses.

Wasn't a 'gigue' an old French dance? I think a 'gig' is also a horse-drawn carriage, but I think I prefer the dance idea.

As for dub, well 'Dublin' means 'black pool', so maybe it's from the Gaelic? Or 'dubbin', the stuff you rub into football boots - in the sense that you are applying layers to something?

Just my guesses.

Dub is a lot simpler than that isn't it?

Dub music is a standard musical track that has been 'dubbed' or edited by adding to or altering the sound. Just as a sound technician might dub sound on to a piece of film. By chance, there is some word play in that dub can be a west indian slang term for shagging, or for dancing. So once you combine dub meaning adding sounds, dancing and shagging you get a fairly good description of dub.

Although, whenever I'm with a lady and wanting some music to set the pace, I usually need about 20 minutes of Bolero and then 45 seconds of techno techno techno.

Dub music is a standard musical track that has been 'dubbed' or edited by adding to or altering the sound. Just as a sound technician might dub sound on to a piece of film. By chance, there is some word play in that dub can be a west indian slang term for shagging, or for dancing. So once you combine dub meaning adding sounds, dancing and shagging you get a fairly good description of dub.

Although, whenever I'm with a lady and wanting some music to set the pace, I usually need about 20 minutes of Bolero and then 45 seconds of techno techno techno.

ok, so where does dubbing come from?

ok, so where does dubbing come from?

It just means doubling. As Chris said, it just comes from Jamaican producers, making a copy of an original piece of music, and editing it to create a new version. 

• Like 1

Sex to music is an odd one. I find it too distracting, particularly if there are some tasty guitar riffs or clever wordplay.

Back in the day, Van Morrison was yer go-to man for shagtracks. I always knew my mate had a hot date when he said "Can I borrow your copy of Tupelo Honey?"

We've just had a new radiator, thermostat and a new stop cock thingy all done by British Gas, without quibble, at a date and time that suited me, on our £129p.a. plumbing insurance.

I reckon a local plumber, if I'd persuaded one to actually turn up, would have charged about £500. Best money I ever spent.

We've just had a new radiator, thermostat and a new stop cock thingy all done by British Gas, without quibble, at a date and time that suited me, on our £129p.a. plumbing insurance.

I reckon a local plumber, if I'd persuaded one to actually turn up, would have charged about £500. Best money I ever spent.

Seeing as all three items should last a lot longer than four years, I'm not following your logic, unless you are now going to cancel the annual policy.

I know what you mean.

I had a carbon monoxide leak last year (if you don't own one buy an alarm, saved my families life) and in the middle of night called the emergency gas call out people. Basically chap came and capped off the supply at the meter then went.

Next day (a saturday) I had to find a local gas register engineer to find the issue and reconnect the gas. Going down literally dozens of engineers on the website I got about 1 in 10 to answer the phone but none would come out on a Saturday lunch time in January even when I told them my kids were freezing...

Finally got to a Polish chap, answered, came straight around. Found the issue (part of the flue in the loft had come slightly apart at a joint) fixed it, reconnected the gas. Gave the boiler and fire a quick once over... £40. Bargain. 

Seeing as all three items should last a lot longer than four years, I'm not following your logic, unless you are now going to cancel the annual policy.

I suspect the rest of his Central Heating system remains protected under the policy over period he holds it.

• Like 1

I have more than one radiator. Plus I also have taps and pipes and another water tank, central heating controls, a boiler, a w.c., a shower, ball cocks!, a bath.....

I have recent experience of a house without heat or water during winter, I'll pay the money.

I suspect the rest of his Central Heating system remains protected under the policy over period he holds it.

Chris has now confirmed this, but without that I'd have said it was poor value. It's quite important to list all the benefits when making a price comparison.

Â