Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

22 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I remember this thread starting and I would have guessed it was about 18 months - 2 years old.

It's 5 years old!!?

So in keeping with the topic, I wonder where all that time has gone.

Everywhere and nowhere (baby).

6 hours ago, choffer said:

Is it worth claiming to be a transvestite on a day like today?

Roasting hot out there and women are able to modify their attire to suit but the rest of us have to still sweat it out in suit and shirt.

I know I've not got the figure to get away with it but I quite fancy wearing a short skirt and a skimpy top today. Purely because of the heat, obviously.

I've been sweating like Gary Glitter in the PC World Repair Centre waiting room today. Suit on and a window seat. I might as well as gone and worked in my Dad's greenhouse. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've been sweating like Gary Glitter in the PC World Repair Centre waiting room today. Suit on and a window seat. I might as well as gone and worked in my Dad's greenhouse. 

We've just had a wood burning stove fitted in our living room. The builders helpfully tested it by burning some logs. On the hottest day of the year. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

We've just had a wood burning stove fitted in our living room. The builders helpfully tested it by burning some logs. On the hottest day of the year. 

So come the autumn you'll be out and about looking like a certain Led Zeppelin album cover then?

• Like 3

We have to turn mobile phones off whilst on planes as the signals can interfere with plane's equipment. 

If this was true why would they allow them in the cabin at all? Why don't they check they are safe mode rather than just asking you?

I can't take a can of Pepsi through security in case it's liquid explosive but I regularly taken 2 phones which supposedly are a danger if I press the on button.

What's the real reason? 

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

We have to turn mobile phones off whilst on planes as the signals can interfere with plane's equipment. 

If this was true why would they allow them in the cabin at all? Why don't they check they are safe mode rather than just asking you?

I can't take a can of Pepsi through security in case it's liquid explosive but I regularly taken 2 phones which supposedly are a danger if I press the on button.

What's the real reason? 

I'm not sure that's true any more. Some airlines actually have pico cells in the cabin. I assume the thinking is that they keep the mobiles transmitting at their lowest power settings thereby mitigating the risk.

The old argument was that there were so many makes and models of phone, airlines couldn't test them all to prove they were safe. At least, that's what a BA Captain friend told me.

I fly most weeks with BA and it's flight-safe mode only these days. I did a long-haul earlier in the year though and they provided free wifi.

In America the common myth was turning off the phone forced you to use the in-flight phone at exorbitant cost if you needed to make a call.

The general thought though is as @choffer says - they can't test the effect of every type of phone on every plane on every piece of instrumentation, so they take the risk averse option of controlling the variable - remove the phone signal. Generally it's believed that the instruments are so well shielded that a phone is unlikely to affect them... But that's a belief that only needs be wrong once...

It's a slight variation on that.   The thought was that with potentially a hundred or more different phones and devices in use at once it is impossible to predict exactly how all the radiated signals will interact with each other and what effect the net electric field might have.  You can test individual devices but you can't test an unknown combination of individual devices, particularly when no two situations have the same combination of signals.  Nobody ever believed that an individual phone or device would be the difference between a safe flight and a dangerous incident.  Nowadays, the bans are more for social reasons (or, perhaps more accurately, safety concerns about potential altercations arising between loudmouthed idiots and those who are passionate about the right to be spared listening to self-important boors' meaningless conversations while simultaneously being packed like sardines in a can with them).

• Like 1

I know a flight attendant who told me he was on a flight once that was kept circling the airport after a take off because a little boy's Nintendo DS was still connected to the airport's WIFI.

I believed him more when he told me than when I just typed it out.

50 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I know a flight attendant who told me he was on a flight once that was kept circling the airport after a take off because a little boy's Nintendo DS was still connected to the airport's WIFI.

It's known as 'tethering'. The pull of 'tethering' is strong enough to force aircraft to keep circling the airport, just like a dog tied to a post. The solution is to very gradually close together the two screens of the DS. A sudden disconnection of 'tethering' can result in a slingshot effect causing the aircraft to be launched into space.

We live in worrying times. When I flew back from Paphos last week, I got footage on my phone showing the aircraft was actually being piloted by Pikachu.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, brommy said:

It's known as 'tethering'. The pull of 'tethering' is strong enough to force aircraft to keep circling the airport, just like a dog tied to a post. The solution is to very gradually close together the two screens of the DS. A sudden disconnection of 'tethering' can result in a slingshot effect causing the aircraft to be launched into space.

We live in worrying times. When I flew back from Paphos last week, I got footage on my phone showing the aircraft was actually being piloted by Pikachu.

:lol: 

When I first started reading that I thought, "oh, so my mate wasn't winding me up".

It was when I got to the pikachu flying the plane bit I realised something was afoot. He's only got little arms.

• Like 2

If you want an 800 page answer to that I would highly recommend Steven Pinkers Better Angels of our Nature. 

To summarise, on almost every measurable scale the world is getting better and significantly so over the course of history. Present day is believe it or not the best it's ever been. That is not the story the media tells for a variety of fairly obvious reasons. 

I've been telling everyone that for the last few years since I read the book. However in the last year it has seemed more and more a difficult argument I no longer want to make. 

I guess stats wise we are still good but the direction of politics is worrying at best which may have a bearing on those stats in the short term.

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

well, the world is better for a variety of reasons that in it was decades and centuries ago, and that is reason to be cheerful, but it does feel like we are currently teetering on the brink of something pretty awful, and that is the sense even if we forget about the gradually unfolding nightmare that is climate change's effect on the planet.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 2

Â