Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think that's it for me. I think he seems like a really nice bloke. Even if it's put on, he seems like a guy you couldn't help but get on with.

The only thing I don't like is the weird accent he puts on on the Late Late show. he doesn't do it for Carpool Karaoke, but if you watch a monologue from his show he has this weird accent.

It may be him trying to hang on to his job, a lot of British presenters have landed gigs in the States only to get the sack because the Americans couldn't understand them. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It may be him trying to hang on to his job, a lot of British presenters have landed gigs in the States only to get the sack because the Americans couldn't understand them. 

If they could cope with Craig ferguson's accent, I dont think they'd struggle with Corden's. Then again, they did send Piers Morgan but fairly quick sharp but I guess that was for other reasons.

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I resent the claim that the only reason I don't like Pokemon is because it's popular. 

I don't like Pokemon because I haven't got the slightest **** interest in it, it has nothing to do with it being popular. 

Yes, I'd like to register the fact now, that regardless of whether it ever gets popular, if I see an adult playing with sooty and sweep dolls in the park I reserve the right to think they could be a retard. If the craze for adults playing with dolls in the park really catches on, I won't be disliking it because it's popular.

Notwithstanding. the more reasonable part of my brain accepts it's a free world and they are not harming anyone. 

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Tell that to the glove puppet community, you thoughtless anti-puppetite!

I don't think you know who you're dealing with here.

I'm one of the killjoys that just got punch n judy removed from the list of things happening on the beach promenade this summer. Good old social media pressure sorted out that bit of misogyny.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I resent the claim that the only reason I don't like Pokemon is because it's popular. 

I don't like Pokemon because I haven't got the slightest **** interest in it, it has nothing to do with it being popular. 

I don't think it's people who don't like pokemon that Dan is referencing. Obviously it's understandable if you don't like it, not everyone likes everything.

It's the people who seem to have a real, genuine problem with the game that he's referencing. A lot of those people just hate it because it's popular, I'm sure of it.

• Like 1

Why in pretty much every western I've seen, no one ever seems to pay for a drink in a saloon. 

When a cowboy strolls in, he always goes to the bar, orders a whiskey or whatever and the bartender just pours it for him. There's no mention of how much it'll cost, when payment is expected, it just appears like all drinks are eternally on the house.

It just doesn't seem like a sustainable business model.

9 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Why in pretty much every western I've seen, no one ever seems to pay for a drink in a saloon. 

When a cowboy strolls in, he always goes to the bar, orders a whiskey or whatever and the bartender just pours it for him. There's no mention of how much it'll cost, when payment is expected, it just appears like all drinks are eternally on the house.

It just doesn't seem like a sustainable business model.

Attempted serious answer to a jokey questiion: prices were probably fixed per shot, and well-known to all. You paid your tab when you left. Barkeepers necessarily had a good memory for who had had what. It would probably only work in quiet periods, and with trusted 'regulars'. On very busy nights I expect they'd want payment upfront. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Attempted serious answer to a jokey questiion: prices were probably fixed per shot, and well-known to all. You paid your tab when you left. Barkeepers necessarily had a good memory for who had had what. It would probably only work in quiet periods, and with trusted 'regulars'. On very busy nights I expect they'd want payment upfront. 

I knew VT's answer to Simon Schama would be the one to provide a solution! :D

Yeah I did think that they might settle up afterwards (off screen as it were), hadn't thought of the standardised price but it makes sense too.

I guess it's partly dramatic license too, the man with no name would lose a certain amount of mystique if he had to fumble around for the correct change.

• Like 1

Lots of bars in european europe still have a pay when you leave policy.

This is complicated in american movies where the answer to every script writing problem is to kill most of the characters before they settle their tab.

Another doomed business model: The Vic in Eastenders. They always have quite an extensive menu and are forever receiving large boxes of fresh fish from the market. But they only have that one small table for two people where anybody ever eats. Given the size of the kitchen, the number of staff and the amount of fresh produce, that single table has to be costing them a fortune in missed sales. The amount of food being chucked out at the end of a day must be quite considerable. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Lots of bars in european europe still have a pay when you leave policy.

This is complicated in american movies where the answer to every script writing problem is to kill most of the characters before they settle their tab.

Another doomed business model: The Vic in Eastenders. They always have quite an extensive menu and are forever receiving large boxes of fresh fish from the market. But they only have that one small table for two people where anybody ever eats. Given the size of the kitchen, the number of staff and the amount of fresh produce, that single table has to be costing them a fortune in missed sales. The amount of food being chucked out at the end of a day must be quite considerable. 

My Dad used to have a similar criticism of Coronation Street, as the Rover's Return was NEVER busy. You never saw it heaving, or had to jostle a crowd at the bar on a Friday or Saturday night. He reckoned they'd go bust within a year. 

I said it before I'm sure, but a small cobbled Street on the outskirts of Manchester has the following business yet never has any traffic or parking issues.. 

A pub

A hairdressers

A garage

2 paper / grocery shops

A flower shop

A factory

A restaurant 

A cafe

A gym 

A chippy 

A health centre

20/30 houses

A taxi rank

Maybe more...

Going back to Eastenders, everyone who works in Albert Square manages to be able to live there as well, in huge properties. Do a few hours a day in the Vic or the laundrette and still manage to be able to afford a 3 story townhouse? Those properties must be worth £1.5m 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Going back to Eastenders, everyone who works in Albert Square manages to be able to live there as well, in huge properties. Do a few hours a day in the Vic or the laundrette and still manage to be able to afford a 3 story townhouse? Those properties must be worth £1.5m 

They have tiny footprints like a really small kitchen and lounge on the ground floor yet seem to have about 7 double bedrooms upstairs. 

Â