Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I don't think anybody would swap the current situation with living in 1914, World War kicking off, then the Spanish flu pandemic killing 4% of the entire population of the planet, a full scale depression on its way only to be rudely interrupted by World War 2. That's got to go down as a fairly ropey 30 year stint for some people to have lived through.  

Now, we sit in front of screens watching shit happen in countries previous generations wouldn't have heard of and worrying about wires dangling from the coat of some bloke in Belgium. Having got ourselves in to debt buying a car and a big TV. I don't think it compares.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, villaglint said:

If you want an 800 page answer to that I would highly recommend Steven Pinkers Better Angels of our Nature. 

To summarise, on almost every measurable scale the world is getting better and significantly so over the course of history. Present day is believe it or not the best it's ever been. That is not the story the media tells for a variety of fairly obvious reasons. 

I've been telling everyone that for the last few years since I read the book. However in the last year it has seemed more and more a difficult argument I no longer want to make. 

I guess stats wise we are still good but the direction of politics is worrying at best which may have a bearing on those stats in the short term.

The analogy I'd use there is weather versus climate.  Today's weather is cooler than yesterdays, but the climate is getting hotter.  Similarly, the world may be getting better in many areas (I'll take your word for it ;)) but in the short term, things are deteriorating right now.

14 hours ago, Chindie said:

In America the common myth was turning off the phone forced you to use the in-flight phone at exorbitant cost if you needed to make a call.

The general thought though is as @choffer says - they can't test the effect of every type of phone on every plane on every piece of instrumentation, so they take the risk averse option of controlling the variable - remove the phone signal. Generally it's believed that the instruments are so well shielded that a phone is unlikely to affect them... But that's a belief that only needs be wrong once...

That's partly right, but not really.

Aircraft design and testing includes EMC and EMI testing. It also includes something called HERF testing. Without going too technical, in simple terms "they" don't get a mobile phone and sort of see if it makes "anything funny" happen to a plane. It's not a "belief" thing, it's an evidence thing.

Aircraft and the systems on them are designed built and tested, from the start, to meet specific EMC standards. They are designed to be resistant to interference from RF emitters, including mobile phones, but also for example the on board Radars, and Radios, the EM noise from generators, fans, electric motors and all the rest of the kit.

Systems and aircraft are tested, (including basically bombarding with High Energy RF (HERF) - at levels way, way, higher than a phone  or every passenger on the plane having 10 phones each all transmitting at max power will ever generate, across a huge sweep of frequencies.

If you think about it, aircraft taxi past airfield radars transmitting kilowatts of power through high gain antennas, whereas a mobile phone will transmit about 0.5W max through a low gain antenna. Yes the frequencies are different, but aircraft are designed and tested to be immune and this is verified throughout each stage of design and build.

Mobile phones operate in the part of the spectrum which is already pretty full of common emitters and when they (phones) came along, they weren't really a "new threat" - they were operating in a similar part of the spectrum, just a tad lower than IFF, Tacan and a whole host of other aviation radio systems.

Mobile phones have no effect on modern aircraft or the systems on them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

...Mobile phones have no effect on modern aircraft or the systems on them.

I was told that a stripper on an aeroplane was far more hazardous than a phone because an uncommanded flaps deployment is so incredibly dangerous. :)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I was told that a stripper on an aeroplane was far more hazardous than a phone because an uncommanded flaps deployment is so incredibly dangerous. :)

Thanks for visiting from 1973.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

There's quite a few countries that were on my list to visit which have become no go or risky to visit over the last 10 years or so.

We've been looking at hols recently. Said jokingly to the other half we could do a 5 Star war zone/ heightened tension tour on the cheap.

Alas it's all too doable :(

Bugging me for yonks but what on earth is James Corden saying when he announces the winner of the Aviva drive app family contest? Jolly Vostin? Jive Austin?  :huh:

• Like 2

Whenever I hear that advert I wonder how James corden got himself a career that isn't exclusively advert voice overs...

youtube is trying to get me to watch a video of him and Michelle Obama doing karaoke in a car together, seriously how the **** has he pulled that off?

33 minutes ago, choffer said:

Bugging me for yonks but what on earth is James Corden saying when he announces the winner of the Aviva drive app family contest? Jolly Vostin? Jive Austin?  :huh:

Ha! I'm so glad this has been bothering somebody else. I've almost been driven to such annoyance that I've several times come close to almost looking up their stupid campaign on their website, but every time I pull myself back from the brink in the nick of time. I've now settled on 'Chive Austin' and that's what it will remain. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, villa4europe said:Whenever I hear that advert I wonder how James corden got himself a career that isn't exclusively advert voice overs...

youtube is trying to get me to watch a video of him and Michelle Obama doing karaoke in a car together, seriously how the **** has he pulled that off?

That particular conversation has been done to death here, as I'm sure you know. For the record, my stance on him has softened somewhat since we handed him over to the Americas.  

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Whenever I hear that advert I wonder how James corden got himself a career that isn't exclusively advert voice overs...

It's just PR.

Seinfeld did a thing with Barack, Gaffigan opened for the Pope; its just the thing to do.

Their people contact your people; who's going to say no?

It's not my cup of tea hilarity wise but I certainly see why people like it. From what I can tell his greatest skill seems to be putting the celebs at ease so they can relax and enjoy themselves. A lot of those scenes have the potential to be quite awkward but by the end of it they always seem to be having a blast which I think translates to the audience very well.

Along with the mega success of Gavin and Stacey you have to say the man is talented even if it's not something I'll be going out of my way to watch. 

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

I like him in Gavin and Stacey and the Wrong Mans, but I don't really like him in anything where he's being himself, even though I think he's a nice bloke.

I think that's it for me. I think he seems like a really nice bloke. Even if it's put on, he seems like a guy you couldn't help but get on with.

The only thing I don't like is the weird accent he puts on on the Late Late show. he doesn't do it for Carpool Karaoke, but if you watch a monologue from his show he has this weird accent.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who doesn't hate James Corden.

I think he's really funny. Carpool Karaoke is brilliant.

Its known as the "pokemon effect" or the inability to like something or someone that is popular.

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who doesn't hate James Corden.

I think he's really funny. Carpool Karaoke is brilliant.

I like Corden more now than I used to. He was overexposed before

The Bieber carpool karaoke ones are very good 

Edited by Xela

Â