Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sorry the break that to you, I feel like I've just destroyed a lot of TV memories....

That's ok. 

As long as it's true that time actually did stand still when teams were halfway through "Knightmare" at an end of an episode, I'll be fine.

• Like 2

On 30 January 2016 at 20:39, Genie said:

Remember Big Break with Jim Davison? Way back then my mum had a friend of a friend who went on the show and won everything including the top prize for potting the black in the last game (was a big fancy holiday). 

She said that they didn't actually get all the prizes, they just give out a cheque to the value of all the prizes, not the actual prizes... not sure if Bullseye would be the same.

Yeah it's always been like that on TV game shows since I were a kid and maybe earlier

dont know about UK game shows but in the US you get taxed on your winnings as well !!

5 hours ago, Xela said:

Why do magazines/newspapers feel its ok to label women as 'painfully thin', but wouldn't dare call anyone 'painfully fat'?

Instead they use other such value-free language such as 'morbidly obese'

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

Why do magazines/newspapers feel its ok to label women as 'painfully thin', but wouldn't dare call anyone 'painfully fat'?

On this subject, is it easier for a thin person to become fat or a fat person to become thin?

One would assume the former? Depends on the particular person maybe.

14 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

On this subject, is it easier for a thin person to become fat or a fat person to become thin?

One would assume the former? Depends on the particular person maybe.

Depends on the person. I'd say the majority would be the former but some people really struggle to put weight on.

14 hours ago, Xela said:

I see the point you're making, but I'm not sure this is actually the case. Skim through any number of publications, and you'll see comments about any number of 'celebrities', and their weight issues (fat and thin).

On February 4, 2016 at 06:23, Xann said:

The identity of the blonde dancer in the Utah Saints 'Something Good' video.

It's Jessica Grist.

I'd be powerless to resist.

Good one.  Just listened to it and took me back.  Sweet album.  And yes she is rather fetching.

Why does it take so long for humans to reach maturity?  I know babies' heads have to be a bit squishy to get through the birth canal, but even so I don't know why evolution has made it so that humans take so long before they can do anything for themselves. 

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If a gay couple have a baby, who gets the maternity leave?

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Aren't they trying to change the law now so that a straight couple can split maternity / paternity however they like between them

The answer is the one who earns the least takes the leave

I think the days of using possession of your own penis as a defining and differentiating characteristic in law, tax and employment etc are numbered.

There is currently the start of a debate about removing male / female as an identifier from passports.

On 07/02/2016 at 20:53, sharkyvilla said:

Why does it take so long for humans to reach maturity?  I know babies' heads have to be a bit squishy to get through the birth canal, but even so I don't know why evolution has made it so that humans take so long before they can do anything for themselves. 

Physics. No, chemistry. No, not chemistry, that other one. Biology. That's it. Biology. 

Â