Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I'm actually listening to radio static now, but not too loud, that rather defeats the purpose. I'd probably think what to do over breakfast, who knows in the future I might be having breakfast in abandoned houses. I'd probably go to all the zoos and free all the animals.

• Like 2

I often wonder if all technology in the world ceased to work and we had to go back to the old days without PCs, TVS, internet etc how the world would be?

If something like this happened I dont think we are prepared for it as humans

If I'm trying to concentrate on something or sleep,  I listen to the radio static of a detuned radio. It's not that uncommon, hence all the videos on youtube of things like rain (random example), white noise, fan noises, and so on. They all basically have the same affect. Sometimes silence can be loudest noise and they break that silence, whilst also blocking any external noises. You can also buy white noise machines.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I often wonder if all technology in the world ceased to work and we had to go back to the old days without PCs, TVS, internet etc how the world would be?

If something like this happened I dont think we are prepared for it as humans

The fallout from a big solar flare could knock out a whole load of satellites.  It wouldn't be quite what you're asking for, but it would be a damn good and (if I may say...) a high-larious start. 

2 hours ago, useless said:

If I'm trying to concentrate on something or sleep,  I listen to the radio static of a detuned radio. It's not that uncommon, hence all the videos on youtube of things like rain (random example), white noise, fan noises, and so on. They all basically have the same affect. Sometimes silence can be loudest noise and they break that silence, whilst also blocking any external noises. You can also buy white noise machines.

Fair enough.

I always listen to something (TV, Radio, podcast, music) when I go to sleep when I'm on my own.
I find it much easier to switch off when I can focus on whatever it is that's on rather than have my thoughts rattling about in my head.

• Like 1

This is the kind of thing I mean, albeit I just use an actual radio. Note that that video has nearly 5M views, so as I say not that unusual. Not only helps with sleep but with concentrating too, like when trying to read or study some interesting topic.

Edited by useless
Youtube not embedding properly.

9 minutes ago, useless said:

Will there ever be another rock band with legendary status along the lines of The Beatles, U2, Oasis, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd and so on. I guess Coldplay were the last of that kind.

What do you mean by 'legendary status'? Is this about how they're viewed critically, or how many records they sell, or something else?

The type of band I listed (and there are many more examples) should give an indication to what I mean. To gain legendary status, I guess you have to be both critically acclaimed and sell many records. It's quite common in the realm of chart pop music, but It's been a long time since a rock band has come on the scene and 'achieved' such a feat, as I say maybe Coldplay were the last.

Then no, I don't think a rock band (if by 'rock band' you mean 3 men with guitars and 1 man on drums, or a close variant thereof) will achieve the status of those bands you listed. The format seems tired, and in any case I think the culture is too atomised.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

should I go to the doctors with this pain in my chest .........or do a 10k run

Docs! Seriously dude, go get it checked out. It's probably nothing, but better to be safe and all that. 

4 hours ago, useless said:

That would drive me absolutely barmy.

I'm fine with traffic noise and stuff like that and I can fall asleep to music playing but anything like white noise, water trickling down a drainpipe, the faint noise from the deaf old goat's TV across the road, a clock ticking, the background murmur of someone talking in the next room or some sod snoring and it's no go.

• Like 1

I'm lucky (I guess) in that I can fall asleep pretty much anywhere. 

I'm certain if I really wanted to I could lie down on a busy footpath next to a main road and fall asleep.

As useless says, for me the hardest time to fall asleep is total silence.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm certain if I really wanted to I could lie down on a busy footpath next to a main road and fall asleep.

Like I said the traffic (and general hubbub) isn't much of a problem - I've slept by a few motorways in my time. :)

Â