Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I often fall asleep with tv on, pretty much as soon as I go to bed, put it on within 20 minutes I'm fast asleep

if I try and sleep with say a ticking clock in the room it's impossible

Edited by Jimzk5

We've had this before.  I'm terribly fussy when it comes to sleep.  It has to be dark and quiet.  18 years on-call sleeping with one eye open hasn't helped matters.  Anything like white noise or ticking or dripping is a no go, and as for radios and TVs, I just end up focussing on the program/song and wondering what'll be next.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

If you're genuinely trying to sleep, the very best thing you can do is turn off whatever device it is you're accessing VillaTalk with :-)

unless you're reading the cricket thread

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I often wonder if all technology in the world ceased to work and we had to go back to the old days without PCs, TVS, internet etc how the world would be?

If something like this happened I dont think we are prepared for it as humans

Interesting question

I think I'd be ok, as I grew up without the internet and smartphones and never had a PC until I had left school. TV would be the hardest though. We still ok to listen to LPs and cassettes? or are we going back to a time before that?

I do wonder how I would fill my days! 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Fair enough.

I always listen to something (TV, Radio, podcast, music) when I go to sleep when I'm on my own.
I find it much easier to switch off when I can focus on whatever it is that's on rather than have my thoughts rattling about in my head.

I've been nodding with Ricky Gervais screeching in my ear on his old XFM shows recently! 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

should I go to the doctors with this pain in my chest .........or do a 10k run

If you ever wonder about a particular symptom and Google it you'll always get a terrifying answer that it's the early signs of a horrible debilitating disease or condition

2 hours ago, Genie said:

If you ever wonder about a particular symptom and Google it you'll always get a terrifying answer that it's the early signs of a horrible debilitating disease or condition

:D I have had it two weeks ........since then I have biked 2x40k and ran at least a total of 50k .....if it were the heart I should be dead by now ......I recon just muscle or something ...but due an MOT at the doctors anyways 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I've been nodding with Ricky Gervais screeching in my ear on his old XFM shows recently! 

I've been going to sleep to the sound of those XFM shows most nights for the past couple of years. 

Seriously.

2 minutes ago, V01 said:

Why is my missus happy to leave the microwave switched on constantly but feel the need to turn off the kettle every time she goes in the kitchen

Perhaps the microwave has a clock that resets when the microwave loses power?

Not that I know what kind of microwave you have...

You mean like just plugged in?  I imagine it's to do with not wanting to have what is essentially a controlled electrical short (a kettle's element) active, whereas a microwave has no such device.  Probably harks back to when kettles and heaty things in general were less safe.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

I thought kettles just turned off by themselves once finished boiling.

They do, obviously.  But they're still plugged in and quite a few people are uncomfortable with a kettle remaining plugged in, because of its element.  Anything with a heating element or which involves heating things up really (which is essentially a controlled short).  Electric blankets, electric fires.  Whether they're switched on or not, people do tend to plug those kind of devices out more than others (quite rightly).  Even phone chargers are becoming more a hot (har har) topic re- leaving them plugged in when not in use.

15 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Stalker! 

Microwave fetishist?

EDIT: Doesn't really explain why I would know about V01's microwave...

Edited by adw95
I'm obviously a stalker.
  • Like 1

Â