Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

What distinguishes this decade from the last culturally. They both seem pretty much the same in comparison to the difference between decades gone. I mean there seemed to be a massive difference between the eighties and nineties and the seventies and sixties and so on, in terms of fashion, music, art, and just the overall feel

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, useless said:

What distinguishes this decade from the last culturally. They both seem pretty much the same in comparison to the difference between decades gone. I mean there seemed to be a massive difference between the eighties and nineties and the seventies and sixties and so on, in terms of fashion, music, art, and just the overall feel

Yeah the 21st Century does seem pretty samey so far. I suppose the evelution of technology is the main thing. Gadgets and gizmos. Everyone has a smart phones and tables, cable of so much more that the average home computer from 10 years ago.

12 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Yeah the 21st Century does seem pretty samey so far. I suppose the evelution of technology is the main thing. Gadgets and gizmos. Everyone has a smart phones and tables, cable of so much more that the average home computer from 10 years ago.

I've always had a table somewhere.. are they new up north? :huh:

11 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I've always had a table somewhere.. are they new up north? :huh:

Yeah they're a luxury oop norf. It's only in the past 10 years that we've finally got to somewhere to put our tabs and broon ale, when we get back from't pit. Oh and our tablets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

I think a lot of the time you can only properly categorise and stylise a decade in hindsight. As we're still in this one we'll only be able to look back and say that it was 'this' or 'that' after the event.

• Like 1

That's true to an extent, but I still think you can make a pretty good comparison. Like someone in 1996 would be acutely aware of the cultural difference between that time and the eighties. Without having to wait until the 00's to notice it. That said there's still another four years left of this decade, maybe something will happen to mark it apart from the last.

• Like 1

I haven't caught up with his latest alb, a lot of people saying that it's actually quite good. But having heard a few songs from it I get the feeling they're in part saying that to be contrary to the more popular opinion of his music. It's probably not as awful as some of his older stuff but still pales in comparison to other pop music out there. In fact there aren't many male pop singers releasing decent stuff at the moment. Maybe because they know they'll get sales regardless, if the image is right.

1 hour ago, Meath_Villan said:

Your at a work fancy dress party dressed as batman, the hot new girl and you hook up .....during sex do you go with the Christian Bale batman voice or the Michael Keaton

Adam West. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

Your at a work fancy dress party dressed as batman, the hot new girl and you hook up .....during sex do you go with the Christian Bale batman voice or the Michael Keaton

Aren't they both similar? 

When a team won a prize on "Bullseye", whether it was a sandwich maker, a nest of tables or a tumble dryer, did the team get two of everything or did they have to share the tumble dryer etc? 

I'm pretty sure they had to share it, but not sure.

Yes, that's what I'm doing this Saturday evening.

5 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

When a team won a prize on "Bullseye", whether it was a sandwich maker, a nest of tables or a tumble dryer, did the team get two of everything or did they have to share the tumble dryer etc? 

I'm pretty sure they had to share it, but not sure.

Yes, that's what I'm doing this Saturday evening.

Remember Big Break with Jim Davison? Way back then my mum had a friend of a friend who went on the show and won everything including the top prize for potting the black in the last game (was a big fancy holiday). 

She said that they didn't actually get all the prizes, they just give out a cheque to the value of all the prizes, not the actual prizes... not sure if Bullseye would be the same.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Remember Big Break with Jim Davison? Way back then my mum had a friend of a friend who went on the show and won everything including the top prize for potting the black in the last game (was a big fancy holiday). 

She said that they didn't actually get all the prizes, they just give out a cheque to the value of all the prizes, not the actual prizes... not sure if Bullseye would be the same.

:o

Blimey, hadn't even occurred to me they would do that. You're most likely right then. I did used to watch "Big Break", but mainly for John Virgo's trick shot. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

:o

Blimey, hadn't even occurred to me they would do that. You're most likely right then. I did used to watch "Big Break", but mainly for John Virgo's trick shot. 

Sorry the break that to you, I feel like I've just destroyed a lot of TV memories....

• Like 1

Â