Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kendricks post says they are looking at him - that's what I wanted. :)

... which is very different to talking too him.

But a positive sign nevertheless.

Let's hope if we go with a "foreign" manager it'll be a case of third time lucky!

The American billionaire has yet to decide on a definitive shortlist of contenders

Aston Villa are going to launch a bold swoop for Carlo Ancelotti, with the sacked Chelsea boss well ahead of bookies’ favourite Mark Hughes and fans’ choice David Moyes in Randy Lerner’s thinking

Both in the same article. Journalists have to fill space.

The American billionaire has yet to decide on a definitive shortlist of contenders

Aston Villa are going to launch a bold swoop for Carlo Ancelotti, with the sacked Chelsea boss well ahead of bookies’ favourite Mark Hughes and fans’ choice David Moyes in Randy Lerner’s thinking

Both in the same article. Journalists have to fill space.

Do you understand what 'definitive' means?

Would love Carlo.. though can he work on a tight budget? Also what if he agrees to come but Wilkins doesn't.. ? He did say he wants a challenge.. this would be a good one i'd imagine, it'll be also be interesting to see how he does on a relatively tight budget too.

I'm not convinced Wilkins is a vital component. A nice bloke sure but is he really that great a coach. Gordon Cowans played in Italy and will understand the language and philosophies of Ancelotti aswell as understanding what a great club we are. Ancelotti and Cowans would be a great partnership.

Not that fussed about Moyes.

1. Ancelotti - Sensational if we land him.

2. Jol - Would be very pleased if we got him.

3. Moyes - He wont leave Everton I dont think for us but he's the best available currently working in the Prem.

Want - Moyes, Poyet ot Jol

Expect - Hughes

Fear - FSW, McLaren

as for Ancellotti - don't think he'll even look at it

I think that this is a very likely situation. We must be wary of working ourselves up into a feverish lather, only to be hosed down when McTwat walks through the door......... :(

Would love it though, if Carlo "The Eyebrow" Ancelotti takes the job!!! :nod:

This "Moyes finished 4th" thing is a bit missleading.

He got 61 points half a decade ago. MON did better than that in his last two seasons with us. In fact Everton had a negative goal difference that year!

That year Everton finished 4 was a fluke of a season where Liverpool were terrible. I don't think it is representative of his managerial genius at all.

Rijkaard

X2

Really!? He is a big name, but has done absolutely nothing in management other than fail everywhere he has gone.

I think that is a gross exagerration V-L. You can search through the wiki to check your facts but in simple terms his overall winning percentage for all teams that he has managed is 52.78 % and at Barca it was 58.61%.

Rijkaard has been credited with the continuation of Cruyff's Total Football with his own modifications. A typical Rijkaard format for example would be a 4-1-2-2-1 which puts a lot of emphasis on an attacking style of football with a defence in a high position.

I would hope that Randy Lerner and his team of headhunters would at least think to enquire and perhaps interview Rijkaard. Earlier in the year several media outlets rumoured that Rijkaard might be interested in a Premiership job...well here it is Frank... send your agent in to see Paul Faulkner asap ;)

Well things went downhill when wilkins left

I've posted my thoughts on this before.

Things did have a wobble when Wilkins left, but I don't think that's necessarily reflective of what Wilkins did at the club, i.e. he wasn't secretly running things and when Ancelotti left he didn't know how to manage the team.

I think Wilkins was "one of the lads" and the players loved him for it. Then when he went, the players may have felt Ancelotti was responsible and so he lost the dressing room to an extent in the period after Wilkins left.

I think if Wilkins hadn't have been there inthe first place, then they never would have had that problem.

it would be the same as if Ancelotti sacked the tea lady for no reason and everyone loved her. They might get really pissed off at him and therefore not play well for a bit.

But did the tea lady actually influence how the team was run? Not a great deal, if at all.

It's only assumptions from what journos and pundits etc said at the time, but that's my 2 cents.