Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Hughes is the best Lerner can come up with we can forget about ever challenging for a CL place. What a thoroughly uninspiring appointment.

Or perhaps he asked all these other amazing managers that willd jump at the chance to manage us and they said no!

Just because we didn't get them doesn't mean we didn't try.

Why such negativity, why are the board automatically failing because we get this over that?

Sounds like appointing Hughes would not just be the end of Gary Mac, but Gordan Cowans too. Hope not! Everywhere Hughes goes he takes his own team and clears out the old one. Carlo does not come with that team. Keys and Gray think Ancelotti is the front runner.

Oh well, hughes at best is an uninspiring signing but far from a terrible manager. I think thats how the players will see it too, an admission of guilt if you like.

Can't see any want aways changing their minds anytime soon with a signing like that.

I agree Hughes is not a 'glamour' name, but my worry of signing glamour managers is that they will use us as a stop gap. Hughes will look at us as a long term project.

If he moves here then he has used Fulham as a stop gap has he not?

It's gonna be Hughes isn't it. He'll get players back on side and playing to the best of their ability, the tactics will fit the squad and there will be no revolution to continental football.

This,

Appointing Hughes will be the second biggest disappointment I've suffered as a villa fan , Signing Heskey being the first

You've either just started supporting villa in the last few years, or you've got a very bad memory!

It's gonna be Hughes isn't it. He'll get players back on side and playing to the best of their ability, the tactics will fit the squad and there will be no revolution to continental football.

See I don't get this! Hughes will shape the side to where it was but his sides do actually play football and do not get this revlolution continental football which only seems to be attached to foreign managers.

I was referring to the direction we were heading under GH, which was certainly towards a more continental style. Hughes however plays what can be best described as as a modern English style. A high tempo attacking game with a mixture of direct and shorter passing.

Have you forgotten what he did at Blackburn.

Samba, Warnock, Bentley, Santa Cruz, Nelson. Can't spot a player can he.

Dembele at Fulham. Just go on a Fulham site and see how gutted they are and then you realise what sort of manager we are going to get.

Good discussion going on at the minute on TalkSport about this...

Andy Grey reckons that by monday either Hughes or Ancelotti will be in charge, with the later the favorite.

He brings up a good point about the probability that Hughes will demand to bring in his own staff whereas Ancelotti tends to work with what he is given, maybe with the addition of Wilkins.

Do we really want to lose the entire backroom staff?

I agree Hughes is not a 'glamour' name, but my worry of signing glamour managers is that they will use us as a stop gap. Hughes will look at us as a long term project.

If he moves here then he has used Fulham as a stop gap has he not?

Fulhams own fault for not resolving his contract earlier i'm afraid.

Andy Gray is convinced its between Ancelotti and Hughes. They are interviewing Wilkins in a bit on talksport and are going to ask him if he is aware of any contact between us and Ancelotti.

And who do you want Mark if you don't mind me asking? Would you be happy with Hughes or Ancelotti?

Have you forgotten what he did at Blackburn.

Samba, Warnock, Bentley, Santa Cruz, Nelson. Can't spot a player can he.

Dembele at Fulham. Just go on a Fulham site and see how gutted they are and then you realise what sort of manager we are going to get.

Not good enough mate..

Where are they all now? Bar Samba, the others are all mediocre at best. Its almost a copy cat of MON type signings..

Hughes will just do another MON..

All his signings at City came in on high wages and some high trans fees.. He hasnt got the skills to find better and cheaper options.

He will sign the obvious..

We wont go forward under him.

Of course they came in on high wages and for high fees, that is the nature of Man City.Surely a more relevant comparison would be to the wages and fees at Fulham and Blackburn during his time.

Unless you think we are closer to Man City than Blackburn and Fulham....

This,

Appointing Hughes will be the second biggest disappointment I've suffered as a villa fan , Signing Heskey being the first

You've either just started supporting villa in the last few years, or you've got a very bad memory!

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't dissing the appointment. I think it's a safe option, but a good one too. Hughes is still young, has experience, is tactically versatile and a good man manager.

Very interesting news regarding Ancelotti (if true) - it would certainly represent a major coup and make for a pretty emphatic statement of intent by the club.

However, I have a couple of reservations. Whilst I genuinely like the man and admire his approach, I think it would be almost impossible for anyone to assess from afar exactly what his motivation would be for a job such as this. Undoubtedly it would take a big salary to get him here and the position could offer a very comfortable outlet for him in the wake of his Chelsea dismissal. Any targets set by Mr. Lerner and the board will be in stark contrast to those issued by AC Milan and Chelsea, and the incentive of contesting the major prizes (league titles, the Champions League) will not be on the immediate agenda.

There has to be questions as to his ability to impose his methods and style of play on a group of players inferior in technical ability to those he has been used to coaching, and we could find that we are in for another season of transition depending upon how quickly he settles and how many of his own players he is able to recruit. He has, to the best of my knowledge, not been in a position where he has had to actively 'manage' the wage bill as any incoming manager will have to do here and there is still much deadwood to shift. There is, perhaps, something to be said for his adaptability in conforming to the wishes of maniacal owners and chairman (something which he would not have to deal with here thankfully) who have imposed their wishes on player aquisitions and team selection - and always done so in a admirably professional manner. It's a different kind of versatility though and, again, it's very hard to know one way or another how he would ultimately take to working with a more limited squad in need of overhauling.

I am also concerned that we would be continually living under the threat of his inevitable departure. He will be linked with every significant vacancy that arises on the continent and there will likely always be a suspicion that he will be tempted by offers from Italy and Spain. We may be used to having top players poached from us but in many ways any unrest that is created by their being unsettled or their subsequent sales is a lot easier to cover than the uncertainty that surrounds a figurehead. Such a situation would make it very difficult to plan beyond a given season. Hence, appointing Ancelotti would signal a desire, if not an absolute need, to obtain tangible success very quickly so that a) he may be convinced that he can take the club on to a bigger stage, or B) we ensure that the first team is in a much stronger position for any replacement to take charge of. Looking at our current circumstances, that is a very big ask on both counts - and it would arguably take a level of drive from Ancelotti that extends beyond what has previously been required of him.

His appointment would certainly create a genuine buzz that most, if not all, of the other candidates wouldn't be able to match, and people outside the club would indeed be forced to take notice - if only for a short time. But I think success - as defined by winning trophies, qualifying for the Champions League and laying a sustainable foundation for future progress - would be far from guaranteed.

On balance, his experience as a player and a manager is beyond question and he would bring a heavyweight presence to a club that has often failed to punch its weight. With the right financial backing, the appointment of a sensible no. 2 (such as Ray Wilkins), a good start and bit of all-important luck, the potential with Ancelotti is almost certainly greater than with any of the other contenders and if he is genuinely up for the task then I could see him emulating what Harry Redknapp has done with Spurs in the last three years. As such, he is worth the gamble - but I think people would need to steel themselves for the reality that keeping him may be even more difficult than persuading him to come in the first place, and we could well find ourselves back in this situation again within two years.

Interesting times lie ahead.