Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

Forget about Hughes, we went through that nightmare before Mancini came along. He'll have you scoring loads but the concept of 'defending' eludes him to this day. That's why he draws against lower opponents and gets smashed at home by big ones.

Ancelotti is class though, he will have you in the top 6 for sure. Rijkaard and Deschamps are good too, but they'll need time to adapt to the Premier League.

Fulham had the 4th best defence in the league last season.

It's hard to explain. Statistically he looks good, but then manages some ridiculous number of low-scoring draws against sub-par clubs. Then he'll get taken to the woodshed against us and dippers at home. You don't want him trust me!

You will never get to the next level with him regardless of how much is invested. He will keep you in the top half of the table but frustrate you to no end. Ancelotti can organize both attack and defence, he's won every major trophy in every league he's participated.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the huge amount of praise that david moyes seems to get and how people can say either moyes or ancelloti , even suggesting they are on a managerial par just doesn't make sense. One guy has managed Preston and Everton and has won no trophies, reached the champions league once to which his team were dumped out in the first knockout round, and consistantly has the same style of play and from what I see doesn't really produce a plan 'B'. Everton seem to have groundhog season year after year they just consistantly do nothing bar an fa cup final loss to chelsea.

02/03 7th

03/04 17th

04/05 4th

05/06 11th

06/07 6th

07/08 5th

08/09 5th

09/10 8th

10/11 7th

I fail to see why Moyes is top of many managerial lists and how many seem to be so against Mark Hughes. At least Hughes hasn't had his 10 years of consistant mediocre seasons. Hughes is a winner and will command respect. He has done it all in football and had years under Sir Alex. He may or may not do as good a job as Moyes but it is annoying me how Moyes is seen as such a good manager and nearly on par with Ancelotti on the wish list as the votes would have it,and Hughes is being touted as a lack of ambition by some if he were to take over. All I see in his managerial career so far are positives. Took Wales from a laughing stock to a team who beat Italy in Euro qualifiers and only losing to Russia in a play off. Took Blackburn to a 6th place finish scalping Man utd, Chelsea and Arsenal in 05/06 , 10th place in 06/07 and 7th in 07/08 whilst reaching 3 cup semi's and reaching last 32 of uefa (at least taking the cup seriously). Also his transfer dealings include. mccarthy 2m, bently 500k, nelson (free) warnock 1.5, santa cruz 3.5 and samba 400k combined total of 8million. We all no how these players progressed and were eventually sold for hefty fees or are being touted as being sold for big money (samba) showing his great eye in the transfer market. He left Blackburn in a great financial position compared to if they hadn't have had the money from Santa Cruz, Bently, Warnock and possibly Samba being sold on for a massive return. Then he went to City which was a losing battle and contrary to popular belief about his lack of defensive play Man city had a 100 percent clean sheet record in 09/10 i think longer than any other team in the prem that year, and went on a good run until 7 straight draws got Hughes the sack which was a losing battle from the start.

Then theres this season with fulham which was a respectable 8th place finish with them. So all in all I can't see all the negativity surrounding Hughes. He is as good a candidate for me as David Moyes, also being a younger and possibly at a more hungry stage of his career.

Also has anyone suggested Klinsmann yet? wasn't the rumour that he was interviewed along with MON at the start of Randy's reign? has a wealth of football experience and did a good job with Germany (semi final) and could have won the league with Bayern (3 points off top) before being sacked for a contrast of interests. Does anyone know if he's available, I think he's just an advisor for Toronto so could be a possible candidate?

my first post in 2 years :)

I think Hughes would be better than Moyes too. At first I was all about Moyes but if you look at it Hughes has offered alot more in his managerial career.

I really want Ancelotti but if it is Hughes that will be fine with me.

I continue to pray we get Ancelotti...he has said he wouldn't mind staying in England and Randy and the board could hopefully shut those saying they have done **** all for the club up. The main hurdle here for me is the salary he would demand along with his staff. But hell, invest your money wisely and it pays off, look at Bent :D . C'mon Randy do it, DO IT, sign Ancelotti up!

Rijkaard

X2

Really!? He is a big name, but has done absolutely nothing in management other than fail everywhere he has gone.

Won the Champion's league with Barca and lost in the semis of Euro 2000 in a freak of a semi final against Italy (Holland were the hosts admittedly). Not all failure in fairness.

Of the realistic options, Moyes is way ahead of Hughes for me. Under him, Everton have qualified for the Champions League; I suspect if they hadn't been in constant financial troubles and he'd had money to spend, they would have been consistently top 6.

To me, Hughes is just a very mediocre manager. People seem to be mistaking being a great player in a successful team with being a "winner" in management. I haven't seen anything other than solid and unspectacular things from all his teams. To me it just seems that our standards have fallen: no one really wanted him when GH came in, so why does he seem so great now?

Happy to be proven wrong and all that...)

To me it just seems that our standards have fallen: no one really wanted him when GH came in, so why does he seem so great now?

Happy to be proven wrong and all that...)

Well for a start he did a lot better with that Fulham side than Houllier did with a more talented Villa side.

I've warmed to the idea of Hughes to be honest, I think he'd be a pretty good fit at Villa. Though would still prefer Moyes.

I'm just praying we don't get the fat spanish waiter.

For me it has to be a manager that will be able to find great players at a lower value, if we are ever going to compete with the top dogs again. We can have a manager that buys like MON again.

Last year I really wanted JOL. I can see the draw with Hughes and Moyes, but they don't really fill me with hope. What I would like is for us to take a huge gamble on Lambert, because I just think he would be able to build from scratch.

Remember this is a unique opportunity for any manager, we are a huge club and the squad is not full of old players that have to be shifted (OK there are some), but there are room for a lot of new signings and the right man would be able to build his own squad fast.

Just looked at Sky Sports and in the online poll Ancelotti and FSW are neck and neck, bit diferent to on here?? though there are probably loads of wreathlayers on there??

Need an appointment soon IMO to get moving on targets etc!!